The Student Room Group

Harvard vs UCL OR Oxford vs Columbia

These are made-up scenarios.

If you were British and you got offers from both Harvard - arguably the most prestigious and well-known American university ever - and UCL - one of Britain's top universities but not on the Harvard-Oxbridge level, would you choose to study abroad in America's Harvard, or would you choose to stay in Britain and attend a very fine, reputable Russel Group university in Britain even though it's not exactly the best of the best in the country?

Likewise, if you were American and you got offers from both Oxford - argyably the most prestigious and well-known British university ever - and the University of Columbia - one of America's top universities but not on the Oxbridge-Harvard level, would you choose to stay in America and attend a very fine, reputable Ivy League university in America even though it's not exactly the best of the best in the country?
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm British and I would go to UCL. Harvard is incredibly expensive and not particularly reputed at undergraduate level.
Harvard

Oxford
Original post by tengentoppa
I'm British and I would go to UCL. Harvard is incredibly expensive and not particularly reputed at undergraduate level.

Harvard not particularly reputed at undergraduate level? What a load of tosh.

Its pretty much THE best University in the world where prestige is concerned, at all levels.
Original post by tengentoppa

Expensive? Yes. Not reputable at undergrad?...No.

I'd take Oxbridge just because it's cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Columbia and Harvard could end up being cheaper than UK option if you get financial aid.

Original post by username638250
Expensive? Yes. Not reputable at undergrad?...No.

I'd take Oxbridge just because it's cheaper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by missfrivolous
These are made-up scenarios.

If you were British and you got offers from both Harvard - arguably the most prestigious and well-known American university ever - and UCL - one of Britain's top universities but not on the Harvard-Oxbridge level, would you choose to study abroad in America's Harvard, or would you choose to stay in Britain and attend a very fine, reputable Russel Group university in Britain even though it's not exactly the best of the best in the country?

Likewise, if you were American and you got offers from both Oxford - argyably the most prestigious and well-known British university ever - and the University of Columbia - one of America's top universities but not on the Oxbridge-Harvard level, would you choose to stay in America and attend a very fine, reputable Ivy League university in America even though it's not exactly the best of the best in the country?

UCL is up there with Oxford
Original post by Abdullah Jalil
UCL is up there with Oxford

Wouldn't really say so. Hi all, dm me your email for a resource I've spent time making - How to Get into American Unis.
I go to Columbia on financial aid
I went to UCL for undergrad 2018, no chance. If you have a chance to go to an Oxbridge uni take it. It’s down to contact time. If you’ve decided you want to go to uni and have committed to that path, go with the best. Contact hours at any other level but oxbridge is a joke, you can’t specify in a subject without support and inspiration. Contact hours with the best in their field will give you that inspiration. I assume, given their reputation that Harvard is the same along with MIT Yale whoever else - not too familiar with ranking. The other US unis. If you can, do it. Your mind will be expanded.

Latest

Trending

Trending