The Student Room Group

Arithmeticae's Unofficial AQA C1 Mark Scheme

Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA C1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
These are by no means the only correct (assuming they are even correct :tongue:) answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in.

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

P.S. If anyone starts a massive argument about a 1 mark question, I will track you down and slit your throat with a rusty spoon, srs. k? :colonhash:

The Answers

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Arithmeticae
x

Woah thanks! By the way for the first question could you have put 'hydroxide' instead or is that completely different?

Also when is said about hydration? I said hydration is reacting ethene with steam to form ethanol does that count or not?
(edited 9 years ago)
Sorry, but IMO hydration only refers to water :frown:

Sorry I mean't for the second question about hydration, not the first question - are we talking about the same question?

I think I might have confused myself haha
Reply 3
Wow thanks for this :smile:

Lol Hydration is reacting ethene with steam
Original post by GoldGhost
Sorry I mean't for the second question about hydration, not the first question - are we talking about the same question?

I think I might have confused myself haha

Don't worry mate, you're right he's only partially correct
Steam is water vapour...

Google 'hydration reaction'

That's what I put, sorry for confusing you hehe I put ethene is reacted with steam to produce ethanol. I think there might be some confusion over what question I was asking you about :smile:
Reply 7

Could I get a mark through saying: "Wegener couldn't explain it due to a lack of evidence?" please say yes, I scribbled out the correct answer otherwise XD
Steam is water vapour...

Google 'hydration reaction'

I did and this came up
The hydration of ethene to make ethanol
A reminder of the facts
Ethene is mixed with steam and passed over a catalyst consisting of solid silicon dioxide coated with phosphoric(V) acid. The temperature used is 300°C and the pressure is about 60 to 70 atmospheres.
Reply 9
probably, it sounds ok but aqa have be known to be very picky with their marking

If that's the case I may have to borrow your rusty spoon. *stares solemnly at the AQA website*
Original post by Magistl
Could I get a mark through saying: "Wegener couldn't explain it due to a lack of evidence?" please say yes, I scribbled out the correct answer otherwise XD

I think I've seen that answer in the mark scheme in a past paper of the same question, so should be okay
Hey there guys. This is my attempt at creating a (hopefully correct) bank of solution for the GCSE AQA B1 paper sat by a lot of us today.

Just a couple of things to clarify:

I don't do requests. Don't bother wasting your time.
No one's saying these are 100% correct, they're just what I've seen to be true and what I thought was right. If there's any problems you can spot, feel free to quote me in on them
These are by no means the only correct (assuming they are even correct :tongue:) answers. If you think there are alternative correct solutions, just quote me and I'll edit them in.

Now we've got all that out of the way, here we go!

P.S. If anyone starts a massive argument about a 1 mark question, I will track you down and slit your throat with a rusty spoon, k? :colonhash:

The Answers

I think these are marks available not too sure - if anyone can add a couple more in or adapt them, that would be good :-)
Original post by AlphaNick
1) b) Should explicitly refer to global warming, not climate change

1) b) Rainwater is already acidic, you need to refer to it becoming more acidic than usual

2) b) You missed out a ton of points. Furthermore it wasn't a 'conclusion/evaluation' question - it was listing the advantages and disadvantages. Additionally you had to say the advantages and disadvantages of using biodiesel instead of petroleum - not the advantages / disadvantages of each as you've done.

3) a) i) This question was asking you to describe how they carried out the experiment, not to describe what happens with bromine water in the presence of unsaturated hydrocarbons. It should say that "bromine water was added in drops to a constant volume of different vegetable oils until they turned colourless from orange - this is recorded as the number of drops."

3) a) iii) Temperature is hardly an appropriate answer for this - they probably kept it at room temperature so you've lost a mark there. Answers should include things like interval size, amount of bromine water added per drop (ie volume), concentration perhaps.

3) b) Incorrect. It had the equal amount of unsaturated oils as one of them.

4) a) i) You completely forgot to mention the environmental implications of constructing a quarry in a low-grade ore site.

4) b) i) 'Cheaper' than copper isn't appropriate here. Instead you should say that copper reserves are depleting at a greater rate relative to iron.

4) b) ii) No mentions of reduced / gain of electrons? marks lost.

5) b) A glaring mistake here. He specifically said that he was measuring the mass of calcium oxide yield from the reaction - so mass lost as CO2 is irrelevant - marks lost here.

6) a) i) Not a very solid point but whatever.

6) b) i) 'Freeze' solidify is a better term here...

7) a) ii) This is weak. There should be a flame / the catalyst itself has to be hot.

7) b) ii) Needs to explicitly mention that the double bond breaks and forms a single bond, the remaining bond is used to join monomers of poly(butene).

I guess this exam didn't go so well for you.

Lol no you dont you need to say many butene molecules join up to form a long molecule
Because climate change is vague - global dimming / warming are classed as climate change but carbon dioxide doesn't cause dimming.

No, you said it forms 'acid rain' - implying that rain is previously devoid of acidity.

I know, but still you answered the question incorrectly, it should be comparing advantages / disadvantages of using biodiesel instead of petroleum - not the advantages / disadvantages of either.

Close enough but you probably got one mark maximum.

Because do you really think that testing the experiment at 1 degree lower causes such an increased rate of reaction that it makes the unsaturated oils more effective at decolourising bromine water?

Yes, the named one had 16 drops, so did another one. So they were identical in unsaturated oils.

Yeah well it was a more solid answer by far.

Because the price of copper depends on the extraction method and reserves supplies.

So? Spec says that you're not meant to know about exothermic/endothermic reactions, but C1 June 2013 had a question "What type of reaction is this?" Answer was exothermic.

Nope - it was just the mass of calcium oxide produced - not the products as a whole, you had to ignore the production of CO2. Did you misread the question?[/QUOTE]

I think I might have misread the question for this question, what did you put?
For question 1b could you say carbon released when incomplete combustion occurs would cause global dimming?
Did you have to specifically mention vergio in comparison to A and B? I just said that x has the least amount of unsaturated fats and x has the most?
As the spec says, flames from Bunsen burners are often not hot enough to cause full decomposition. Also I said that the reaction was incomplete.

I said that it may not have all thermally decomposed - is that partially correct?
Reply 17
Original post by GoldGhost
Did you have to specifically mention vergio in comparison to A and B? I just said that x has the least amount of unsaturated fats and x has the most?

Yeah.. I put like Vegio was healthier than ___ but less healthy than ___
No, you said it forms 'acid rain' - implying that rain is previously devoid of acidity

The mark schemes are never that specific though- it will say
sulfur dioxide (1)
acid rain (1)
Yeah but it was 4 marks

Is that 1 or 2 marks then perhaps?

Quick Reply

Latest