The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Mature students 2014

Just thought i'd try and make a thread for mature students.

Is there any mature students firming Cardiff this year? If so? what are you studying and where have you chosen for accommodation?

Look forward to hearing from you!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi,
I have firmed Cardiff for History. What will you be studying?
I have only put down ensuite accommodation. My first 3 are Talybont south, Talybont court and Liberty Cambrian Point. You?
I'm so glad there will be other mature students!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Hello, yeah I've put down ensuite too! I'll be studying Biomedical science, I hope!!

I've applied for Liberty Cambrian, Colum hall and Taly court! I've tried to apply to the more quieter places. I'm not really there for the student lifestyle!

I was wondering if they'd sort of put the mature students together in accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Oh well done.
I don't think I could share a bathroom ha! Fingers crossed you get one of them.
I'm not sure. They have so many students that it may be a lot of effort. However, bath spa said that they try to do that so hopefully cardiff do too.
I've confirmed Cardiff as my first choice and am doing German and History. I haven't chosen accommodation yet but I would like an en-suite room!
Reply 5
Original post by burkenbecker
I've confirmed Cardiff as my first choice and am doing German and History. I haven't chosen accommodation yet but I would like an en-suite room!

Oh awesome! Have you looked into accommodation yet? Any you are interested in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Hello.
I've firmed Cardiff for physio. I'm looking at liberty house, because it's so close to Heath, but I am a touch worried that I'll get put in a party flat! There doesn't really appear to be any other option though, other than finding private accommodation, which I think runs the risk of isolating you from uni life a little. Hopefully there's loads of us in a similar situation, and they'll try to house us boring old gits together!
Reply 7
Original post by xvmmii
Hello.
I've firmed Cardiff for physio. I'm looking at liberty house, because it's so close to Heath, but I am a touch worried that I'll get put in a party flat! There doesn't really appear to be any other option though, other than finding private accommodation, which I think runs the risk of isolating you from uni life a little. Hopefully there's loads of us in a similar situation, and they'll try to house us boring old gits together!

That's how I feel too! I've asked if I can specifically be placed with mature students. I can't be done with the drinking and cleaning up after people!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Hi,
As a mature student that have now finished my 1st year at Cardiff, here is some advice.

Halls are noisy, no matter if it is rumoured to be "quiet", it isn't. I also got put in a flat with 10 nineteen year olds.
If you want quiet and a glimmer of chance at getting 1) sleep 2) studying done 3) not be the one to go around cleaning up after "kids" that have never been off the apron strings and therefore think that dishes magically gets done by house elves... then you want to live in private accommodation.
If you want to make sure you get something out of university life then join a society or a sports club, go to socials and hang out in the popular pubs in Cathays.

Any questions, please ask...
Reply 9
Original post by MimmiNO
Hi,
As a mature student that have now finished my 1st year at Cardiff, here is some advice.

Halls are noisy, no matter if it is rumoured to be "quiet", it isn't. I also got put in a flat with 10 nineteen year olds.
If you want quiet and a glimmer of chance at getting 1) sleep 2) studying done 3) not be the one to go around cleaning up after "kids" that have never been off the apron strings and therefore think that dishes magically gets done by house elves... then you want to live in private accommodation.
If you want to make sure you get something out of university life then join a society or a sports club, go to socials and hang out in the popular pubs in Cathays.

Haha this made me chuckle! And yes this is most definitely not the situation I want to be in!! What halls did you end up choosing and staying in?

What society's did you join?

Thank you for the post :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi,

Confirmed for Computing and IT Management. Have to book accommodation tho. Suggestions are welcome. I saw pics of the rooms. Is it me or the place feels really small lol...
Original post by MimmiNO
Hi,

Hi,
I'll be a postgrad student..do you think postgrads get enough time to join clubs n do other activities? just wondering :redface:
Original post by fireblade24
Hi,

Confirmed for Computing and IT Management. Have to book accommodation tho. Suggestions are welcome. I saw pics of the rooms. Is it me or the place feels really small lol...

To be fair for university dorms isn't it to be expected? What places are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
True that lol.. Am lookin at Hodge hall, talybont north/south
Reply 14
Original post by Rapunzel1988
Haha this made me chuckle! And yes this is most definitely not the situation I want to be in!! What halls did you end up choosing and staying in?

What society's did you join?

Thank you for the post :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I first stayed in Senghennydd Hall, and then I managed to move to Roy Jenkins into the part reserved for couples, but it was only because there was a flat available there. I have friends in other halls who bemoan the same thing, especially in any of the Taly halls, as there are frequent midnight shopping trolly racing and other stuff going on outside your windows. In S.H. the other students tended to go out into the courtyard around midnight and stay out there until 3.
I joined several societies, all of which were good, but I didn't go to as many socials due to other things getting in the way.
Reply 15
Original post by desigirl01
Hi,
I'll be a postgrad student..do you think postgrads get enough time to join clubs n do other activities? just wondering :redface:

I have friends who are postgrad who did societies, part time jobs AND volunteering! I think it depends on the person and how active you like to be. She also ended up moving out of halls.
Reply 16
If any mature students are interested, I know of a house for rent that is very close to Cathays campus (less than 5 min. walk) in a quiet side street. My group has split and so we need people to take over the contract of this house.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-houses/lovely-student-house-in-cathays-5-min-walk-from-cardiff-university-students-union/1059095524#photo-content
Reply 17
Hi everyone! I'll be doing my postgrad studies at cardiff business school from sept. Is there anyone who is considering student castle cardiff for their accommodation? appreciate any comments on the accomm there. thanks :-)
Would have loved to have gone private if I had known more students. But unfortunately having only been to Cardiff once, I don't know any people and I am not familiar with Cardiff.

I have chosen Liberty Cambrian Point as my first choice, I am hoping as its a bit out of the way (from the drunk students walking by at night) that ill miss the noisy nights, I am a very light sleeper so I wish to avoid that if possible.

I have also put a note in my application to be considered to live with mature students, might even be ok if I was put with postgraduates?. I am betting ill end up with the worst mature students ever!! hahaha.

Anyone got any info on liberty cambrian?
Original post by MimmiNO
I first stayed in Senghennydd Hall, and then I managed to move to Roy Jenkins into the part reserved for couples, but it was only because there was a flat available there. I have friends in other halls who bemoan the same thing, especially in any of the Taly halls, as there are frequent midnight shopping trolly racing and other stuff going on outside your windows. In S.H. the other students tended to go out into the courtyard around midnight and stay out there until 3.
I joined several societies, all of which were good, but I didn't go to as many socials due to other things getting in the way.

How come you asked to move? was it that bad at senghennydd? I am dreading this!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending