The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheHenri
I also said that my other factors such as lack of infrastructure was more significant as a constraint than savings gap i think it is ok if you argue that way :smile: describing four factors was the right approach I think, but you could also evaluate those factors. eg ppd not that signficiant because some countries developed with dependancy etc.

So you're essentially saying you approached this as if it was asking: "evaluate four limits to development in developing countries?"
Excuse me while I go jump of a bridge :P. This means my dream question came up and I was to stupid to realise it. Could someone confirm that this was in fact a valid approach so I don't kill myself in vain?
Reply 881
Original post by Jjames23
I did June 2013 last year and section A was so much more straight forward, also the sections B's in 2013 were straightforward. This one had much more complex wording to the question.
I found 3b difficult as who can think of 4 KAA to the savings gap:l
This is what a marker would've answered 3b) Several ways to answer the Savings gap question. My preference would be:

Intro: E/G - real GDP (AD) and Potential GDP (AS). State savings leak out therefore reducing AD but may provide funds for Investment.

Main 1: Provides funds for Investment. Link to Harrod Domar perhaps. State I increasing AD in SR and AS in LR. Diagram.

Main 2: Counter stating savings are a leakage. Reduce AD. Increasing Savings will reduce multiplier. Debate multiplier.

Savings can be compensated by FDI. Examine strings of FDI- positive and negative.

Evaluation: Examine "most important" - consider other issues in Russia. Consider time scale - immediate medium and long term. Link to type of E/G - SR or LR E/G

Tbh it was bloody hard paper. Grade boundaries should be lower than last year.

I think when a question asks you on significance, then you have to compare it to other factors, its like that in history.
Original post by Jjames23
I did June 2013 last year and section A was so much more straight forward, also the sections B's in 2013 were straightforward. This one had much more complex wording to the question.
I found 3b difficult as who can think of 4 KAA to the savings gap:l
This is what a marker would've answered 3b) Several ways to answer the Savings gap question. My preference would be:

Intro: E/G - real GDP (AD) and Potential GDP (AS). State savings leak out therefore reducing AD but may provide funds for Investment.

Main 1: Provides funds for Investment. Link to Harrod Domar perhaps. State I increasing AD in SR and AS in LR. Diagram.

Main 2: Counter stating savings are a leakage. Reduce AD. Increasing Savings will reduce multiplier. Debate multiplier.

Savings can be compensated by FDI. Examine strings of FDI- positive and negative.

Evaluation: Examine "most important" - consider other issues in Russia. Consider time scale - immediate medium and long term. Link to type of E/G - SR or LR E/G

Tbh it was bloody hard paper. Grade boundaries should be lower than last year.

Spot on. I agree with you totally. :smile:
Reply 883
Original post by aminkaram
So you're essentially saying you approached this as if it was asking: "evaluate four limits to development in developing countries?"
Excuse me while I go jump of a bridge :P. This means my dream question came up and I was to stupid to realise it. Could someone confirm that this was in fact a valid approach so I don't kill myself in vain?

I think Boywonder approached it like me, but i guess you could still approach it differently, but yeah in fact it is just 4 constraints :biggrin:
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Define international competitiveness. State how international competitiveness was measured i.e. global competitive index since that's what the figure was on. A few factors affecting global competitive index (unit labour costs, macroeconomic stability etc...), quoted two countries from the figure which I compared and constrasted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you define international competitiveness? I did a definition, used data from the table and the said that what affects it, ie. exchange rate, commodity prices, then linked it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
anyone who didn't get full UMS on that paper has had a shocker
Good evening students.

Unit 4 was considerably harder than Unit 3, due to a combination of question ambiguity and question complexity.

I would hasten to add that your Edexcel board had experienced examiner recruitment problems last year for unit 4; has the situation changed appreciably? Anyone's guess.

If what happened with Unit 4 last year repeats this year, I would urge you all to get a remark asap. Under no conditions should you allow a poorly constructed unit 4 in conjunction with the possibility of less experienced examiners threaten your future!
Original post by 07tlynch
This was a fairly tricky paper, question 5 was really weird.

For 1a)

I did 1) Bank bailouts in 2009 made the budget deficit high

2) automatic stabilisers back in 2009 made the deficit high, since then tax revenue has risen
eval: this was only ever a short run cause

3) austerity
eval:magnitude of deficit shrinking has been fairly small and they havent really reduced spending by much

For 1b)
1) Fall in tax revenues due to laffer curve
however: optimal tax rate varies for all countries - tax revenue might rise

2) Tax avoidance/tax evasion
Eval: evasion is illegal, and avoidance is deterred by naming and shaming people

3) Substitution effect - eceonomic growth falls
Eval: Income effect + government might spend revenues on education or w/e

4)Fall in inequality

For question 5:

A) - gave 2 examples of countries ranking,
- it's how good a country is at selling it's products abroad
- price/non price
- gave a few components of the index

B) - this really threw me off. I baisically just waffled about how economic growth has been negative since 07, and drew an AS/AD diagram with AD shifting

C) Unit labour costs have risen due to fall in productivity Eval: I don't remember, probs long run/short run BS

Unit labour costs ahve risen due to rise in regulation/ national insurance equivalents However: since 2007 countries have removed these in labour market policies

D)
Germany's surplus might have fallen due to british sterling's depreciation in 2008 Eval: germany's surplus only fell a tiny bit, and the eu remained relatively low compared to currencys other than the sterling

Greece's deficit has fallen due to contracted economic growth reducing marginal propensity to import Eval: This is only short run

E)
- trade union power reducing can remove wage price spiral eval: you need product market policies to compensate labour market

- remove nmw, reduces classical unemployment eval: exploitation

- education eval: time lag

Wasn't C just saying factors that affect unit labour costs? And D saying why they may want to reduce trade imbalances, not why?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rathani278
I only stated about how Greece has reduced it's deficit instead of talking about surplus.. will my mark be capped :frown: :frown:

I wouldn't say so. The question didn't explicitly ask why both surpluses and deficits dropped so I suppose you could be fine mentioning one or the other or both. Last year's paper had a similar question for the essay and you could get all marks by mentioning just reducing deficits so I think you'll be fine.

Original post by TheHenri
oh god 12 marks going down the drain :frown:((
do you think I would still get some marks? like 2 Application and maybe saying that germany was reducing surplus and otehres reducing deficit? basically I outlined reasons for the reduction in imbalances of countries such as germany could then reduce inflation and greece achieve econ growth. oh the question was so easy, just misunderstood it :frown:
guess doing 2 MCQ stupidly wrong and now this this is costing me my A*

I really don't know, sorry.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by teacher2014
Good evening students.

Unit 4 was considerably harder than Unit 3, due to a combination of question ambiguity and question complexity.

I would hasten to add that your Edexcel board had experienced examiner recruitment problems last year for unit 4; has the situation changed appreciably? Anyone's guess.

If what happened with Unit 4 last year repeats this year, I would urge you all to get a remark asap. Under no conditions should you allow a poorly constructed unit 4 in conjunction with the possibility of less experienced examiners threaten your future!

It all costs money that we can't afford and the hassle involved as well. I was well stressed last year as I should not have been cheated out of my grade and messed everything up for me. Isn't there anything anyone with clout can do ?
What did people write for the first data question, questions 2 and 3?

Oh god, I know I've failed :frown: :'(
Original post by Kutie Karen
What evaluation points did people put down?

Prioritised: austerity measures the greatest factor
Evaluated austerity measures also as reducing the quantity and quality of public services = negative effect
also said that increasing taxes = disincentive to work (for income tax) so maybe this factor isn't so important.

What did you say?
For question 3(a) I found it quite difficult to get started, but I did manage to give 3 points and 2 evaluation points. Could someone see if my reasoning is correct? My factors were very briefly:

Factor 1: Many countries have experienced export led growth. This has created a dairect income and profit for exporters. These people can then use this income to reinvest in their companies which will create more jobs. Hence reducing unemployment and absolute poverty which promotes development. Also said spending would increase multiplier etc.

Factor 2: As peoples income rises they will begin to save more. Thus solving the savings gap problem. Link to harrod domar etc.

Factor 3: The government would receive higher tax revenue from firms and employees they can then use it in many different ways to promote development. For example, spend it on the poor to improve income distribution.

Evaluation 1: However other factors may be more significant, such as health improvements and then link this to high impact of Aids and how it would decrease unit labour costs and competitiveness. In turn increasing growth and development. i.e growth itself is dependent on this factor.

Evaluation 2: Education may be more significant as this can attract FDI and then a discussion of the benefits of FDI

Conclusion: A mixture of factors affects development, however Economic growth does seem to be the most significant one of these.
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
I wouldn't say so. The question didn't explicitly ask why both surpluses and deficits dropped so I suppose you could be fine mentioning one or the other or both. Last year's paper had a similar question for the essay and you could get all marks by mentioning just reducing deficits so I think you'll be fine.

ohh if so that would be really good .. what were the points you included for reducing deficits??
What did people put for current account imbalances
I said to reduce unemployment, can do this by improving competitiveness, meaning more exports and improving trade in goods account
EVA: J curve

To achieve economic growth, something about trade in goods account shifting AD
Eva: didn't do one lol :biggrin:

Is this okay, didn't know how to answer the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 895
Original post by 07tlynch
This was a fairly tricky paper, question 5 was really weird.

For 1a)

I did 1) Bank bailouts in 2009 made the budget deficit high

2) automatic stabilisers back in 2009 made the deficit high, since then tax revenue has risen
eval: this was only ever a short run cause

3) austerity
eval:magnitude of deficit shrinking has been fairly small and they havent really reduced spending by much

For 1b)
1) Fall in tax revenues due to laffer curve
however: optimal tax rate varies for all countries - tax revenue might rise

2) Tax avoidance/tax evasion
Eval: evasion is illegal, and avoidance is deterred by naming and shaming people

3) Substitution effect - eceonomic growth falls
Eval: Income effect + government might spend revenues on education or w/e

4)Fall in inequality

For question 5:

A) - gave 2 examples of countries ranking,
- it's how good a country is at selling it's products abroad
- price/non price
- gave a few components of the index

B) - this really threw me off. I baisically just waffled about how economic growth has been negative since 07, and drew an AS/AD diagram with AD shifting

C) Unit labour costs have risen due to fall in productivity Eval: I don't remember, probs long run/short run BS

Unit labour costs ahve risen due to rise in regulation/ national insurance equivalents However: since 2007 countries have removed these in labour market policies

D)
Germany's surplus might have fallen due to british sterling's depreciation in 2008 Eval: germany's surplus only fell a tiny bit, and the eu remained relatively low compared to currencys other than the sterling

Greece's deficit has fallen due to contracted economic growth reducing marginal propensity to import Eval: This is only short run

E)
- trade union power reducing can remove wage price spiral eval: you need product market policies to compensate labour market

- remove nmw, reduces classical unemployment eval: exploitation

- education eval: time lag

I wrote about uk's inital cost of olympics an building the stadium may not being present anymore and evaluated saying that it may be a PFI scheme so they may still be leasing it, correct? And i also said increase in tax revenue from VAT as there was an increase in tourists buying Uk goods
Original post by teacher2014
Good evening students.

Are you an economics teacher? If so it would be really great if you could give me a rough estimate on grade boundaries for this.
Can anyone remember the exact questions for Q5 please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Farringtonn
How did you define international competitiveness? I did a definition, used data from the table and the said that what affects it, ie. exchange rate, commodity prices, then linked it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Textbook definition: "A country's international competitiveness refers to its ability to sell its goods and services in domestic and international markets at a price and quality that is attractive in those markets".
For section A question 1 I did:

(a) Reasons why the budget deficit has decreased:
1. Joining of the EMU means countries have to follow the Growth and Stability Pact which means governments cannot have a deficit of 3% per annum
2. Reduction in public expenditure (e.g. healthcare cuts)
3. Raising taxation

(b) Economic effects of a rise in marginal income tax:
1. MNC's relocate abroad to take advantage of lower taxes on profits (I now realise this is wrong because income tax doesn't affect MNC'S :frown: does anyone know if I'll be penalised for this?)
2. More resources devoted to monitoring the informal economy and prevent tax evasion
3. Capital flight as skilled/high income workers move abroad
4. Less efficiency in the economy due to the deterrent effect of high income taxes

Did 3.5 pages for (a) and 4 for (b) I think... Hopefully it goes well

Latest

Trending

Trending