The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE Physics P1 (12/5/14)

I suppose this is a tad early, but I'm going to start revising for it soon/today, anyway.

Some useful links:
Specification
Past papers
P1 equation sheet

Has anyone started revising yet? How are you getting on? Do you have any tips or questions? Feel free to discuss the AQA GCSE Physics P1 (Foundation and Higher tier) exam in here!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I probably sound really dumb right now because its such a simple topic but I never know when to say if something is a good emitter or a good absorber xD anyone care to help me?
Reply 2
Original post by Manexopi
I probably sound really dumb right now because its such a simple topic but I never know when to say if something is a good emitter or a good absorber xD anyone care to help me?

Sure. According to the Spec:
a) All objects emit and absorb infrared radiation.
b) The hotter an object is the more infrared radiation it
radiates in a given time.
c) Dark, matt surfaces are good absorbers and good
emitters of infrared radiation.
d) Light, shiny surfaces are poor absorbers and poor
e) Light, shiny surfaces are good reflectors of
infrared radiation.
Reply 3
Original post by MrVirtuoso
Sure. According to the Spec:
a) All objects emit and absorb infrared radiation.
b) The hotter an object is the more infrared radiation it
radiates in a given time.
c) Dark, matt surfaces are good absorbers and good
d) Light, shiny surfaces are poor absorbers and poor
e) Light, shiny surfaces are good reflectors of
infrared radiation.

Sorry I should have been clearer but I really don't know how to explain my issue xD What I meant is when they ask a question about why a certain surface was used and you're meant to talk about either the absorbing or emitting of infrared and I never know which one to write if that makes sense?
Sorry I should have been clearer but I really don't know how to explain my issue xD What I meant is when they ask a question about why a certain surface was used and you're meant to talk about either the absorbing or emitting of infrared and I never know which one to write if that makes sense?

Dark surfaces absorb and emit well so they make stuff hot (why something dark is heating up)

Shiny surfaces reflect well so they keep stuff hot (when you want something to stay hot), they don't absorb much as well.
Reply 5

yo. I get what you mean. Basically in like a solar panel situation where you need to ABSORB heat from the sun you need a good ABSORBERS. However in case of a wooden heater you need a good EMITTER because you need to give off heat. So when you need to retain heat from something you need an absorber but when trying to warm things up you need a good emitter. There is a really good page on it in my revision guide so i will show in school okay :smile: I need start revising omg can you kick me please.
Reply 6
If anyone got time, please explain(in good detail) how the orgin of the universe began and the theories supporting it. I dont want a brief answer but a detailed one, it'll be highly appreciated.

Can u mention red shift, big bang, steady state in ur answers please.
Reply 7
Original post by Prerana
yo. I get what you mean. Basically in like a solar panel situation where you need to ABSORB heat from the sun you need a good ABSORBERS. However in case of a wooden heater you need a good EMITTER because you need to give off heat. So when you need to retain heat from something you need an absorber but when trying to warm things up you need a good emitter. There is a really good page on it in my revision guide so i will show in school okay :smile: I need start revising omg can you kick me please.

Thanks and I'll be looking forward to seeing that page! :tongue:
lol Prerana I'm the same just been watching tv xD i really need to rvise philosophy but my notes are too complex so I don't understand anything. should we just stay at school after exams for a couple hours or something?
Reply 8
Thanks and I'll be looking forward to seeing that page! :tongue:
lol Prerana I'm the same just been watching tv xD i really need to rvise philosophy but my notes are too complex so I don't understand anything. should we just stay at school after exams for a couple hours or something?

I like p1 tbh but i just hate physics in general like seriously tho i need to start revising or else it will end up like p3 where literally revised the hour before :eek: thank god the paper was hella easy. Ugh i hate RS too. Just make it up. I am just gonna read my textbook the day before. See ya:tongue:
Reply 9
Original post by Prerana
I like p1 tbh but i just hate physics in general like seriously tho i need to start revising or else it will end up like p3 where literally revised the hour before :eek: thank god the paper was hella easy. Ugh i hate RS too. Just make it up. I am just gonna read my textbook the day before. See ya:tongue:

Physics is okay...hate forces though. Im awful when it comes to reading! I have been reading 20 pages of physics for the last 3hours and I'm still not done! :tongue: ha I didn't revise p3 or c3 except for calorimetry and energy xD p1 past papers are so easy so I hope the real ones are like that :biggrin:
Reply 10
Physics is okay...hate forces though. Im awful when it comes to reading! I have been reading 20 pages of physics for the last 3hours and I'm still not done! :tongue: ha I didn't revise p3 or c3 except for calorimetry and energy xD p1 past papers are so easy so I hope the real ones are like that :biggrin:

gut feeling the 6 marker is going to be on comparing different types of renewable energy or explain how water can be used to produce energy. There isn't anything too complicated on the p1 spec so the test can't be too bad. I am more worried about further maths and c1 right now.
Reply 11
Original post by Prerana
gut feeling the 6 marker is going to be on comparing different types of renewable energy or explain how water can be used to produce energy. There isn't anything too complicated on the p1 spec so the test can't be too bad. I am more worried about further maths and c1 right now.

Yeah I think it's that too but by water do you mean hydroelectric etc or steam turns turbine bla bla bla? Yeah c1 is easy but the papers are incredibly boring that when I was practicing some I didn't read the questions properly and made dumb mistakes :/ last years paper was soooo easy though I got like 58/60 or something insane like that so hopefully this year is the same haha :biggrin:
But if p1 is comparing energy what will be c1? They have done fractional distillation to death...maybe the limestone cycle? :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaNick
Just saying, the 6-markers have been incredibly unpredictable so far this year.

True, it's better to just learn the content well than to focus on specific 6-mark questions.
Reply 13
Anyone want to ask each other some revision questions?
Reply 14
Original post by Rtdsv

Original post by aerohotchoc

Original post by thechemistress

I assume you guys are doing P1 too, as you were quite active on the B1 thread?
I assume you guys are doing P1 too, as you were quite active on the B1 thread?

Yup xD I actually haven't revised for this exam yet. I should probably start now xD
Reply 16

You hate forces?! :angry: Let me show you a force! (Just joking :wink: good luck in your p1)
Reply 17
Original post by thechemistress
Yup xD I actually haven't revised for this exam yet. I should probably start now xD

Good idea haha, I've started but only because I also have another (harder) exam on Thursday too! :frown:
Good idea haha, I've started but only because I also have another (harder) exam on Thursday too! :frown:

Aw, that sucks. I've made notes and I think I know the topics, I just haven't gone over everything in a while, so I may be a bit rusty :tongue:
Reply 19
Can someone help with diffraction, especially about radio signals travelling through hills to get to a house please?

Quick Reply

Latest