The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
how many marks was the economies of scale question ?
Original post by Luke.95
for the people that did monopsonist essay, for part B I said because the government control the power of trade unions then the existence of trade unions was a type a government inervention (for my AO3) then talked about how this could cause other labour mark failures for my AO4, do you think this would be acceptable or could you only talk about trade unions as being another method?? :/

Not sure, I spoke about NMW when talking about government intervention :/ trade unions was definitely an alternative, kicking myself I didn't use it now! Although I don't see how governments control trade unions?
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
You've made good calls for BOTH F583 and F585 haha...:smile:

Edit: thank you so much.

Haha cheers mate, thanks to you aswell for the call on cinemas! think we've both really helped each other out haha :smile:
Reply 563
Original post by Fas
Not sure, I spoke about NMW when talking about government intervention :/ trade unions was definitely an alternative, kicking myself I didn't use it now! Although I don't see how governments control trade unions?

yeah i definitely think trade unions was a good thing to mention at some point. Well i said that the government can use regulation to control the power of trade unions (so they could completely illegalise them if they wanted to) so the fact that the government allow trade unions to have power then they are a form of government intervention, not sure how right this is though...
Original post by adz96
how many marks was the economies of scale question ?

6 :smile:

Still not sure how that's gonna be marked - is it gonna be one mark for identification then 2 marks for explaining why it would occur?
Reply 565
Original post by ItsJustMe17
What are the factors though ? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Demand for product, productivity, basically anything that affects MR or MP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke.95
yeah i definitely think trade unions was a good thing to mention at some point. Well i said that the government can use regulation to control the power of trade unions (so they could completely illegalise them if they wanted to) so the fact that the government allow trade unions to have power then they are a form of government intervention, not sure how right this is though...

Aye, my alternative ended up being actions by private firms such as training programmes which would help improve workers skills, and allow them to switch out their jobs working for the monopsony and find jobs in other sectors in different regions, where they may get paid a higher wage rate, and because it's by private firms then this may be more efficient and effective at solving the labour market failure created by a monopsonist. Pretty **** alternative tbh, but hopefully I'll get atleast 15-16/20 on that essay :smile:

Ahh right, sounds ok I guess as long as you've explained it!
Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
No different to you, although I discussed that regional pay differences with other underlying factors as a cause for poverty in the 15 marker.

Yes I touched on this through a discussion regarding changing structure of the economy from secondary, manufacturing sector to tertiary, service sector and how a greater proportion of the poverty in the UK is in the north where mines used to be. How did you discuss regional pay differences?
Reply 568
Original post by Fas
Aye, my alternative ended up being actions by private firms such as training programmes which would help improve workers skills, and allow them to switch out their jobs working for the monopsony and find jobs in other sectors in different regions, where they may get paid a higher wage rate, and because it's by private firms then this may be more efficient and effective at solving the labour market failure created by a monopsonist. Pretty **** alternative tbh, but hopefully I'll get atleast 15-16/20 on that essay :smile:

Ahh right, sounds ok I guess as long as you've explained it!

I did a similar thing to you with the training programmes, only I talked about how the government could provide the training programmes (investing in education and training) and then explained it in a similar way to you, so i reckon we'd get credit for that, no matter which way you used it :smile:
Original post by Fas
Nah aslong as reference was made to the case study atleast once then you should be fine, but there was quite a lot of stuff in the case study to suggest the market was contestable.

Ah thanks :smile: i quoted a sentence from it at the beginning , hopefully it'll be enough
Reply 570
Original post by Fas

Still not sure how that's gonna be marked - is it gonna be one mark for identification then 2 marks for explaining why it would occur?

I think so but i messed up on one part I wrote bulk buying even though it said not to use purchasing economies (stress) would I get any marks for explaining bulk buying ?

Wrote Advertising (selling economies) for the other one though:smile:
what do you think grade boundaries will be?
Original post by Rheannan
i did the poverty question because i had revised it well the day before and didnt learn monopsony and i did a wage determination question in the mock and didnt get the right end of the stick at all! thought it was a very ok paper! ( dont want to jinx it though! :-))

What diagram did you use for the poverty question? I couldn't think of any.
Original post by adz96
I think so but i messed up on one part I wrote bulk buying even though it said not to use purchasing economies (stress) would I get any marks for explaining bulk buying ?

Wrote Advertising (selling economies) for the other one though:smile:

Doubt you'd get any for the bulk buying one sorry :frown:

Ah fair enough, selling should get you 3/3 though :smile:
Original post by Luke.95
I did a similar thing to you with the training programmes, only I talked about how the government could provide the training programmes (investing in education and training) and then explained it in a similar way to you, so i reckon we'd get credit for that, no matter which way you used it :smile:

Ahh fairs, that's good! :smile: yeah we should do, they're still at the end of the day, economically viable methods
Original post by Fas
Ahh fairs, that's good! :smile: yeah we should do, they're still at the end of the day, economically viable methods

Did you guys do the poverty question? What was your diagram ?
Original post by Bigbangtheory001
Did you guys do the poverty question? What was your diagram ?

Nah I did the monopsony one
Original post by Pokims1996
The number of workers that they SEEK to employ is the demand. The question was about how much they ACTUALLY employ, not how much they SEEK. The amount they seek to employ is demand, the amount that workers can provide is supply. Talking about demand factors is completely relevant don't get me wrong, but I think OCR will be looking for supply factors too. I think the reasons why they asked you to illustrate your answer with diagrams is to illustrate different elasticities of supply.

I think the reason they asked you for different diagrams is because they wanted you to show the MC=MRP diagram in a firm as well as ASL=MRP in an industry. I would be very very surprised if they wanted supply factors becuase the second question was when they wanted you to bring in the notion of supply . But whatever its not negative marking :smile:
Original post by Fas

A mark for which EOS it is
A mark for example e.g. Bulk buying of popcorn (Given)
A mark for explaining how this reduces LRAC

Btw do you think is correct analysis for the contestable market question-
The cinema industry can be considered contestable as there is no brand loyalty among customers. Most of the cinema's show the same films and hence why customers do not have any factors to create loyalty towards a cinema, as it is fairly homogenous etc etc Then I said this means new firms/cinemas can easily attract those customers
Original post by LFR
Demand for product, productivity, basically anything that affects MR or MP

Posted from TSR Mobile

THANK GOODNESS

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending