The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In a country with few rights
The 1st and 2nd amendments are all the americans have left.

Maybe if america never had guns you would say dont introduce them but now so many guns in the system you couldnt realistically take them from black market
Shooting sprees are because the media glorifies them in its coverage
Original post by James222
In a country with few rightsThe 1st and 2nd amendments are all the americans have left.Maybe if america never had guns you would say dont introduce them but now so many guns in the system you couldnt realistically take them from black marketShooting sprees are because the media glorifies them in its coverage
The 1st and 2nd amendments are all we really need. I agree with you regarding the media glorification of shooting sprees.
Reply 3
Original post by Oldcon1953
The 1st and 2nd amendments are all we really need. I agree with you regarding the media glorification of shooting sprees.

Yea privacy,religious freedom and 8th are irrelevant
The time is way past when heavy gun control could be the answer for America.
The Genie is out of the bottle and too many are in circulation. Perhaps a ban on heavier weapons would stand a chance but....I dont know.
In a country with few rights
The 1st and 2nd amendments are all the americans have left.

Maybe if america never had guns you would say dont introduce them but now so many guns in the system you couldnt realistically take them from black market
Shooting sprees are because the media glorifies them in its coverage

Original post by caravaggio2
The time is way past when heavy gun control could be the answer for America.
The Genie is out of the bottle and too many are in circulation. Perhaps a ban on heavier weapons would stand a chance but....I dont know.

These

You don't make a country that has had hundreds of years of very loose gun regulations, extremely passionate opinions regarding firearms, and a monumental number of firearms in circulation,safer by telling people to hand in their weapons and preventing further sales. What worked in the UK and Straya would most definitely backfire horrendously if implemented in the US. It's gotten to the interesting stage where more firearms in the right hands (which would of course require strict regulation) would definitely make the US a safer place, this is displayed in the evidence as well
Reply 6
If the United States wishes to move forward then gun controls are required. In a country where children are accidental shooting each other to death, surely that empathises the problem.
America is too far gone for gun control. There are plenty of countries with lax firearms laws that manage to maintain low rates of gun crime. What America has is a cultural sickness that can't be legislated away.
Reply 8
If scores of school shootings and so so many dead children can't bring about a change, nothing will. Clearly Americans just like killing people...
If gun control was introduced how would that work exactly? Americans view guns as a right, if the government suddenly tries to take their guns away there will be war on the streets, a lot of Americans would rather die than lose their guns.
Due to the number in circulation any attempt to forcefully remove or prosecute people for general gun ownership would fail. With that being said i do believe it is in their power to prohibit new gun sales and give some kind of cash reward to those who give a gun back to the authorities. Over time this would somewhat remove gun ownership as an issue.

The second amendment was in hindsight incredibly stupid (or at least keeping it in the 20th century), all you do is replace knife crime with gun crime and i'm fairly certain i'd rather have my arm slashed than a bullet rip through it.
Original post by Drewski
If scores of school shootings and so so many dead children can't bring about a change, nothing will. Clearly Americans just like killing people...

Completely agree. If anything they will claim that it's a reason to have more guns, specifically more guns in schools.

Americans speak the same language, but culturally they really could not be more different.

My friend was in LA recently and there were apparently something like 58,000 homeless people on the streets in LA (and rising), whilst London apparently has just 243.

I think the thing with America is that you should only have to care about yourself. If you look at the societal view, and whats best for many, having no guns is clearly the case, as is helping those who are most vulnerable.

If however you only think about yourself, well, you aren't going to care about those homeless people, and you are going to want a gun, because you are only thinking about defending yourself and not all of society.

Personally, I would love a gun as it would make me feel a lot safer (whether I would be or not is another argument altogether) but I understand and accept the fact that society will be a lot more safer if none of us have guns, and therefore I am more than happy that I don't have one.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
I tend to agree to the fact that "There are plenty of countries with lax firearms laws that manage to maintain low rates of gun crime." Canada being an example.

Therefore one point of view is that, Controls by itself will not hide the reason that triggers some one towards violence.

A deeper understanding of the reason will perhaps someday create a better solution to solving violence ?
If we kill the Americans I think that solves most problems.
Yea privacy,religious freedom and 8th are irrelevant
Where's your sense of humor? But, now that you mention it, The first ten amendments were secured through force of arms so really all we might need is the second. God Bless the NRA.
An old one, but a classic (NSFW language)
Original post by bertstare
TheseYou don't make a country that has had hundreds of years of very loose gun regulations, extremely passionate opinions regarding firearms, and a monumental number of firearms in circulation,safer by telling people to hand in their weapons and preventing further sales. What worked in the UK and Straya would most definitely backfire horrendously if implemented in the US. It's gotten to the interesting stage where more firearms in the right hands (which would of course require strict regulation) would definitely make the US a safer place, this is displayed in the evidence as well
WELL RAISE MY RENT!!! Somebody finally gets it.
It's obviously not going to be a solution when there is a deeply embedded culture within certain parts of American society that owning guns is a fundamental right however with so many shootings a year surely it's possible that tighter gun controls could maybe stop one or two and the lives saved would be worth it? Some people are just too paranoid about armed burglars to think about tighter controls.
That chris rock video was hilarious and i agree with it. With so many gun related deaths in America if guns are responsible for so much murders why not raise the prices making them more expensive to purchase. Furthermore there needs to be more regulations on firearms. People shouldn't be simply given guns for opening bankaccounts or be able to go walmart and buy bullets without going through some sort of process. Personally i think guns shouldn't be in the hands of people but then again gun control is a myth. With the second amendment so fiercely guarded and the NRA so fiercely promoting the right to own guns I'll doubt that'll happen.

But in reality the guns aren't the problem its American culture itself. Canada owns just as many guns as America does and has a significant lower gun related deaths than America? That's the question you need to ask. Why is it that both Canada and America, people can be entitled to possess firearms yet gun related deaths in America are significantly high compared to Canada. That's the real mystery
Original post by Oldcon1953
WELL RAISE MY RENT!!! Somebody finally gets it.

It seems more people outside of the US are catching on to the right's attitude towards guns over there, though I think they sometimes can take it to extremes in the case of the NRA and some of their members, on the whole their logic regarding the issue is pretty sound and I think more foreigners understand it and less people shout about banning guns now than before

Latest

Trending

Trending