The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I reckon the six marker will be on the factors regarding building power stations. There's a whole page dedicated to it with potential six mark info.
Hopefully the six marker is on something that requires common sense i.e. Advantages and disadvantages of overhead and underground power cables or something like that
Original post by Magistl
I reckon the six marker will be on the factors regarding building power stations. There's a whole page dedicated to it with potential six mark info.

what would u write for that?
Reply 4
Original post by chocsouffle30
what would u write for that?

I'll write a sample: q) Explain the factors regarding the construction of power stations, non-renewable and renewable.

Answer: Both non-renewable and renewable power stations are affected by the initial start-up costs, as the larger the more expensive due to the complexity of the engineering and the planning issues. Decommissioning the power stations also take a while and the cost varies depending on the type of station, for example: Nuclear power stations take a long time to decommission and thus cost more than a power station that doesn't take very long to decommission. The fuel cost is also a factor in the expenses required to maintain the power station, nuclear power plants will require radioactive substances that are more cost worthy than power stations that rely solely on renewable energy such as solar, wind or geothermal.

Additionally, location plays an important role in the decision making regarding costs; stations devoted to solar energy will have to be in places that have a lot of sun so the water in the panels are heated up greatly by the amount of radiation and thus increasing the energy output, nuclear stations will also need to be set near the ocean coastlines to avoid people being harmed in the event of a catastrophe and to ensure the reactor is able to be cooled via fresh water should an accident occur. Lastly, reliability is another issue: renewable energy stations are some what unreliable due to their energy source, if a station dedicated to wind energy happens to exist within a time-frame in which has short amount of wind for weeks, the energy input will be greater than the energy output and therefore be more expensive where as nuclear/coal power stations are more reliable because we have their resources that can last for years.

Summary:
- Location plays a role in renewable energy resources and non-renewable energy sources such as nuclear power stations.
- The initial costs must be able to correspond with the amount of money present.
- Decommissioning a power station is expensive and thus, is a factor in power station construction.
- Non-renewable energies are more reliable than renewable.
- Would it be cheaper to run a renewable energy station? Certainly - be sure to mention why.

(Ethical issues is one, but I quite frankly disregard it because location/initial costs/fuel/decommission is more than enough points provided you explain why with a GCSE in-depth knowledge.)
Original post by Magistl
I'll write a sample: q) Explain the factors regarding the construction of power stations, non-renewable and renewable.

Answer: Both non-renewable and renewable power stations are affected by the initial start-up costs, as the larger the more expensive due to the complexity of the engineering and the planning issues. Decommissioning the power stations also take a while and the cost varies depending on the type of station, for example: Nuclear power stations take a long time to decommission and thus cost more than a power station that doesn't take very long to decommission. The fuel cost is also a factor in the expenses required to maintain the power station, nuclear power plants will require radioactive substances that are more cost worthy than power stations that rely solely on renewable energy such as solar, wind or geothermal.

Additionally, location plays an important role in the decision making regarding costs; stations devoted to solar energy will have to be in places that have a lot of sun so the water in the panels are heated up greatly by the amount of radiation and thus increasing the energy output, nuclear stations will also need to be set near the ocean coastlines to avoid people being harmed in the event of a catastrophe and to ensure the reactor is able to be cooled via fresh water should an accident occur. Lastly, reliability is another issue: renewable energy stations are some what unreliable due to their energy source, if a station dedicated to wind energy happens to exist within a time-frame in which has short amount of wind for weeks, the energy input will be greater than the energy output and therefore be more expensive where as nuclear/coal power stations are more reliable because we have their resources that can last for years.

Summary:
- Location plays a role in renewable energy resources and non-renewable energy sources such as nuclear power stations.
- The initial costs must be able to correspond with the amount of money present.
- Decommissioning a power station is expensive and thus, is a factor in power station construction.
- Non-renewable energies are more reliable than renewable.
- Would it be cheaper to run a renewable energy station? Certainly - be sure to mention why.

(Ethical issues is one, but I quite frankly disregard it because location/initial costs/fuel/decommission is more than enough points provided you explain why with a GCSE in-depth knowledge.)

GENIOUS!
Reply 6
Original post by LearningGeek
GENIOUS!

Haha, cheers.
Reply 7
nice
Reply 8
Does anyone have a link to the P1 January exam? Thanks:^_^:
Original post by Magistl

A whole page dedicated to it where? If it's in a book/revision guide would you mind taking a picture and posting it please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jadeskittles
A whole page dedicated to it where? If it's in a book/revision guide would you mind taking a picture and posting it please? :smile:

Go to page 95 of the AQA book, you'll see it.
Jan 14 paper here... sadly I don't have the mark scheme - I'd appreciate it though
Reply 12
Original post by AlphaNick
Jan 14 paper here... sadly I don't have the mark scheme - I'd appreciate it though

Thanks! Good luck tomorrow!

Are the January papers generally harder than the june papers? Or is there not much difference?
Original post by emma_1111
Are the January papers generally harder than the june papers? Or is there not much difference?

January papers are generally harder than summer ones in my opinion. My answers to the Jan 2014 paper by the way:

1(a)(i) Energy transfer parallel to motion/vibrations and consists of rarefactions and compressions
1(a)(ii) On the “uncompressed” bit
1(a)(iii) Move his hand forward and back (sounds a bit wrong)
1(b) Light is faster than sound
1(c) Both transfer energy and both can be reflected/refracted/diffracted
2(a) Clothing air layers reduce convection and conduction heat loss; Sitting on mat reduce loss via conduction; Thick wall reduce heat lost via convection and radiation (reflects back in; Lower entrance hot air rises so reduces loss via convection(currents trapped).
2(b)(i) = 4200 * 0.25 * (90 -2) = 92400J
2(b)(ii) Heat wasted as light/sound, Heat trapped in metal mug
3(a) Coal burns, energy released, water boils, steam spins turbine, generator turns, motor effect, electricity (would guess they wanted lots of energy changes like chemical -> thermal)
3(b)(i) Current down and voltage up
3(b)(ii ) To reduce heat lost
3(c)(i) Electricity still need to charge batteries which when produced also releases gases
3(c)(ii) They are biased and will support the views of the campaign group
4(a) ‘hot’ water particles evaporate, temperature of sand + water lowers (because hotter ones gone), water colder than milk, heat conducted through metal container, milk cools, repeat process
4(b) lowest two boxes
5(a)(i) Gets slower as depth increases at a decreasing rate
5(a)(ii) = 1.35 (ish)
5(b) Amp increase, wavelength decrease, frequency increase
6(a) what they are doing (just a channel or DVD etc), how “full” the battery was at the start (use new identical batteries)
6(b) more energy used for useful purposes as less wasted as heat
6(c) Big bar, splits to two, one ¾ of the width (useful), one 1.4 of the width (wasted)
7(a)(i) frequency
7(a)(ii) amplitude
7(b) a reflected sound wave
7(c) the observed change in frequency of a wave due to its source moving relative to the observer.
7(d)(i) 350 HZ
7(d)(ii) 0.1 because graph accurate to 0.1 of a hertz
7(d)(iii) cheaper/easier/faster
7(e) lorry moving towards so frequency increases, then parallel, the moving away so frequency decreases
Original post by AdamWats0n
January papers are generally harder than summer ones in my opinion. My answers to the Jan 2014 paper by the way:

1(a)(i) Energy transfer parallel to motion/vibrations and consists of rarefactions and compressions
1(a)(ii) On the “uncompressed” bit
1(a)(iii) Move his hand forward and back (sounds a bit wrong)
1(b) Light is faster than sound
1(c) Both transfer energy and both can be reflected/refracted/diffracted
2(a) Clothing air layers reduce convection and conduction heat loss; Sitting on mat reduce loss via conduction; Thick wall reduce heat lost via convection and radiation (reflects back in; Lower entrance hot air rises so reduces loss via convection(currents trapped).
2(b)(i) = 4200 * 0.25 * (90 -2) = 92400J
2(b)(ii) Heat wasted as light/sound, Heat trapped in metal mug
3(a) Coal burns, energy released, water boils, steam spins turbine, generator turns, motor effect, electricity (would guess they wanted lots of energy changes like chemical -> thermal)
3(b)(i) Current down and voltage up
3(b)(ii ) To reduce heat lost
3(c)(i) Electricity still need to charge batteries which when produced also releases gases
3(c)(ii) They are biased and will support the views of the campaign group
4(a) ‘hot’ water particles evaporate, temperature of sand + water lowers (because hotter ones gone), water colder than milk, heat conducted through metal container, milk cools, repeat process
4(b) lowest two boxes
5(a)(i) Gets slower as depth increases at a decreasing rate
5(a)(ii) = 1.35 (ish)
5(b) Amp increase, wavelength decrease, frequency increase
6(a) what they are doing (just a channel or DVD etc), how “full” the battery was at the start (use new identical batteries)
6(b) more energy used for useful purposes as less wasted as heat
6(c) Big bar, splits to two, one ¾ of the width (useful), one 1.4 of the width (wasted)
7(a)(i) frequency
7(a)(ii) amplitude
7(b) a reflected sound wave
7(c) the observed change in frequency of a wave due to its source moving relative to the observer.
7(d)(i) 350 HZ
7(d)(ii) 0.1 because graph accurate to 0.1 of a hertz
7(d)(iii) cheaper/easier/faster
7(e) lorry moving towards so frequency increases, then parallel, the moving away so frequency decreases

1) a) i) is incorrect.. it should refer to energy transfer direction being parallel to oscillation.
1) a) i) is incorrect.. it should refer to energy transfer direction being parallel to oscillation.

Looking at the endorsed textbook now, it says "the vibrations are parallel to the direction of energy transfer". I'm pretty sure you would get the mark with just vibrations.

wowowow thank you so much :smile: i really appreciate this!

how did you get hold of it by the way?? Was there money involved!!!????
Original post by GCSEmoron
wowowow thank you so much :smile: i really appreciate this!

how did you get hold of it by the way?? Was there money involved!!!????

It was posted in this thread
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2708793&p=48101203#post48101203

I got it before that was posted elsewhere actually, from some person

Latest

Trending

Trending