Stress causing illness? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Just looking for a bit of advice, preferably from people with experience in a situation like this, but any help would be appreciated.
So, I've been feeling really ill over the past couple of months, and it seems to be getting worse.

I've had constant headaches that are there when I wake up and when I go to sleep. They don't really seem to stop. I'm always dizzy, nauseous, sensitive to movement and unable to sleep because of it. They make me feel scared to even get up and walk about, as I know it will make it worse.

I have a really small appetite, and feel sick after eating anything. I struggle to eat much during the day and I guess this is making me malnourished, and making the headaches worse. Even after drinking water, I feel really 'full' so to speak, and it's odd because I always used to eat loads. This means that I've lost over a stone in a month, and I'm struggling to put on weight. It's not that I'm conscious about my body, trying to starve myself or refusing to eat, if I could eat more, I would. I'm trying so hard to eat more, but it makes me feel so ill after eating even the smallest of mouthfuls, and I hate it, because I now look in the mirror or weigh myself and I can see how skinny I'm getting. I don't like it. According to the NHS website, my BMI is around 17. 3. I'm 5'7 and I weigh around 7 stone 10 pounds.

Even when I haven't eaten anything, if I stand up or walk about, I (don't know what the word is) retch? gag? and I just stand there unable to be sick, which is draining. It gets to a point where I'll be walking around and strangers will stop and just stand with me, while they feel helpless, as I can't stop retching and I am struggling to breathe.

I also feel that my heart is constantly beating too fast, and it's scaring me. Like now, I can feel this pounding in my chest, and hear it, and it's much louder and more often than it used to be. I lie in bed at night and panic, because I feel like I'm dying or something, and that leads me to focus too much on my breathing and I hyperventilate. And you know when you're so focused on your breathing that you feel as if you have to control it or you'll miss a breath? So you end up controlling it and then you can't breathe properly? I do that, too.

Now, I'm doing exams at the moment, and I have to walk 15 minutes to where they are every time I have one. The walk isn't optional, as I have no-one to drive me, and I work myself up into a state without even meaning to, causing the retching thing and me to get even more nauseous than normal. By the time I get there I'm crying, hyperventilating, dizzy, shaking and just generally a mess.

It gets to a point where I'm told I can't sit the exam until I calm down, and I have to go into my own room, where I get constant water refils and breaks whenever I need them. Every morning, before the exam, I get into this state, and I feel like I'm dying. It is horrible. Most of the time, I'm not even anxious about the exam, it's just the scenario I think. Mind over matter, so to speak.

In the exam, I can't concentrate and I sit there involuntarily shaking and unable to breathe. I feel helpless. It's like my body wants me to fail, even though I think I'm okay.

Now, I'm going through quite a stressful time at the moment - problems with life at home, losing my relationship, exams etc., but I can honestly say that I am normally able to deal with things on my own, and they never affect my health in this way. So I'm really confused why I'm in such a bad state of health.

The breakup has caused me to be a complete and utter emotional wreck, yes, but is that really capable of causing this?

I'm always able to deal with things at home, because I'm used to it, so I highly doubt that's caused it.

Is it just exams? Even though I don't feel mentally scared, is it just my body's way of coping with the stress?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm just asking for advice and help, because I don't want to live like this anymore. I can't cope.

Sorry it's so long, I just felt that a bigger explanation would make more sense to those who know about the topic, rather than a short summary for those who don't.

Thankyou.
Anonymous #1
Anyone?
GuanyinBuddha
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Anyone?
Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

As someone with complete experience I can tell you this, these conditions may come and go at any time. Possibly after your exams you will feel better only to realise that next year they will come back. I urge you to go to your GP who will forward you to CBT, they will then assess whether you need a psychologist or not.
Believe me, anxiety is often correlated with depression, high doses of extreme anxiety may destroy your life in the future. Your conditions were all like mine, except every morning I would physically get ill.
In the meantime, I suggest getting some fresh air, go to the local park, kick a ball about. Just something to be under the natural light of the sun!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by GuanyinBuddha)
Hello, I wish you happiness and well-being.

As someone with complete experience I can tell you this, these conditions may come and go at any time. Possibly after your exams you will feel better only to realise that next year they will come back. I urge you to go to your GP who will forward you to CBT, they will then assess whether you need a psychologist or not.
Believe me, anxiety is often correlated with depression, high doses of extreme anxiety may destroy your life in the future. Your conditions were all like mine, except every morning I would physically get ill.
In the meantime, I suggest getting some fresh air, go to the local park, kick a ball about. Just something to be under the natural light of the sun!

Thank you very much.
I thought that would be said. I think it's probably about time I went to a doctor about this. I'll probably be given a variety of suggestions and medications. Oh joy.
Kimmy2014
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm... Perhaps it requires a trip to the Doctors and see what's wrong because I was severely anaemic which caused me to have panic attacks (the doctor said I had the lowest iron count she had ever seen in a teen>_>) since then I've just frequently had panic attacks..

In such situations I generally do try to control my breathing which works for me and due to the adrenaline I tend to move around which straightaway is an indication I'm panicking. When I start panicking well it is likely I've been the room and I have a certain "spot" I look at and concentrate on to help me calm down.

The fact you're thinking "OMG I'm scared of having a panic attack. I don't one" the constant thought is the thing to trigger it. You need to find something that focuses away from the actual panicking.. Sing a song, think if the memories but as you said it is mind over matter. You have to train your brain into calming down. It does take time but during the walk up to school, perhaps walk with a friend and if you do start panicking sit down and just focus on calming your self down and get your friend to call up school and make them aware that you've panicked on the way and needed a few minutes. The fact you're rushing and panicking, it doesn't help so you need to take a break and relax before the panic becomes full scale which will take a while to calm down. Remember you have a 1 hour time scale which allows you to come in late and still get to sit the exam. During the exam remember: the door is ALWAYS close by so if you feel the ounce of panic place your hand up and thy will definitely let you leave (well they should)...
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kimmy2014)
Hmm... Perhaps it requires a trip to the Doctors and see what's wrong because I was severely anaemic which caused me to have panic attacks (the doctor said I had the lowest iron count she had ever seen in a teen>_>) since then I've just frequently had panic attacks..

In such situations I generally do try to control my breathing which works for me and due to the adrenaline I tend to move around which straightaway is an indication I'm panicking. When I start panicking well it is likely I've been the room and I have a certain "spot" I look at and concentrate on to help me calm down.

The fact you're thinking "OMG I'm scared of having a panic attack. I don't one" the constant thought is the thing to trigger it. You need to find something that focuses away from the actual panicking.. Sing a song, think if the memories but as you said it is mind over matter. You have to train your brain into calming down. It does take time but during the walk up to school, perhaps walk with a friend and if you do start panicking sit down and just focus on calming your self down and get your friend to call up school and make them aware that you've panicked on the way and needed a few minutes. The fact you're rushing and panicking, it doesn't help so you need to take a break and relax before the panic becomes full scale which will take a while to calm down. Remember you have a 1 hour time scale which allows you to come in late and still get to sit the exam. During the exam remember: the door is ALWAYS close by so if you feel the ounce of panic place your hand up and thy will definitely let you leave (well they should)...
Yeah, I think so

And, in exams I get to sit next to the door and I get constant breaks if I want them, and the time out just gets added onto the end time.

It is just mind over matter, but the problem is that I let myself get into such a bad state
Kimmy2014
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmmmm If you'd like you can PM me and have a chat because talking it out can help?
Yeah, I think so

And, in exams I get to sit next to the door and I get constant breaks if I want them, and the time out just gets added onto the end time.

It is just mind over matter, but the problem is that I let myself get into such a bad state
Ebony19
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have been having similar problems and they're interfering with my life quite badly to the point I'm not going to uni at all at the moment and I've been given a drs note for all of my summer exams. PM me OP to chat about it. I mean I am an anxious person generally but I feel this time is particularly bad.
Anonymous #1
To the people that have said they get this:
Do you get extra consideration in exams because of it?

Every exam I am shaking, I have a migraine, I can't breathe properly, I feel nauseous and I'm sick.
I struggle to concentrate
Ebony19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To the people that have said they get this:
Do you get extra consideration in exams because of it?

Every exam I am shaking, I have a migraine, I can't breathe properly, I feel nauseous and I'm sick.
I struggle to concentrate
They don't give special consideration at my uni they follow a fit to sit policy so if you choose to attend you are saying you're saying well enough to. If you choose not to attend because you're not well or whatever the reason then subsequently we're expected to apply for exceptional factors and if successful they'll let you retake as a first sitting. Alternatively if you have been unwell in the actual exam and let someone know this might also count but if you know in advance that this might be a problem you'd probably be expected to let them know in advance.
Yaaseen ♏oraby
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ebony19)
I have been having similar problems and they're interfering with my life quite badly to the point I'm not going to uni at all at the moment and I've been given a drs note for all of my summer exams. PM me OP to chat about it. I mean I am an anxious person generally but I feel this time is particularly bad.
I get stressed because my friendz can't accept me just because im Autistic:mad::mad::mad::mad:
Yaaseen ♏oraby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They don't give special consideration at my uni they follow a fit to sit policy so if you choose to attend you are saying you're saying well enough to. If you choose not to attend because you're not well or whatever the reason then subsequently we're expected to apply for exceptional factors and if successful they'll let you retake as a first sitting. Alternatively if you have been unwell in the actual exam and let someone know this might also count but if you know in advance that this might be a problem you'd probably be expected to let them know in advance.
Just tru$t urself dat u can do it.
Ebony19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yaaseen ♏oraby)
Just tru$t urself dat u can do it.
Aw bless ghetto way of putting it (with the tru$t) but thank you for the support
Yaaseen ♏oraby
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aw bless ghetto way of putting it (with the tru$t) but thank you for the support
u r more than welcome
lorenzmiller
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
meditation reduces stress. meditation is medicine of all diseases
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads