The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
You have to state the date you used the source, because it may be edited at a later date. So you do need the specific dates. But I'd imagine it would be ok for you to collect the research over the summer - but check with your teacher because I don't know how it all works :smile:

Thanks very much :smile:
Original post by GCSEsitter
Thanks very much :smile:

No problem :h:
Okay thankyou, i'll ask my teachers about it :smile:
I'm up for answering any questions new EPQers may have :smile: Finished mine in March, hopefully A* if the moderators agree with my teacher's marking.
Does the EPQ affect A2 subjects, ie how much time does it take?
Hello
I'm wanting to do an EPQ on something like the Disreali and Gladstone rivalry. Is this a broad topic enough? Also how would I phrase this as a title?
Sorry this is more Politics related than EPQ in general!
I really need ideas on a question/topic related to Psychology/Biology/Chemistry... Literally ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated.
Original post by infamous123
I really need ideas on a question/topic related to Psychology/Biology/Chemistry... Literally ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Chemistry -graphene, nanomaterials
Biology - new DNA letters (i reckon this would be excellent since it's relatively new)
Psychology - school shootings in US

If you want a combination on all three...perhaps focus on a career and the mind of a biochemist lol?

I'm doing mine on fracking in the UK, it's excellent because I can just search google news for Fracking and boom sources everywhere! But I have to do a LOT of filtering and get to the heart of what's actually going on
I'll be starting my EPQ in September (officially) but I've been told to do all my research over the summer for a head start. Problem is; I haven't a clue where to focus!

I was hoping for something along the lines of Biology/Chemistry to focus on but I'm struggling to decide. Another idea I had was to focus on the psychological and sociological effects of music but I feel thats too general/ wont allow me to "analyse the better method"?
idk this is all very confusing to me can someone help me with where to start D:
I am starting my EPQ soon and my teacher is asking for preliminary title. I would like to study civil engineering at university and was wondering whether this is a good title to help me get an understanding of the subject area as it is something I'm really quite interested in.
What is the best way to evolve our cities to cope with the ever increasing exponential growth in population?
I was thinking I could talk about floating cities and research the pros and cons of that and discuss smart cities and building downwards instead of upwards to produce downwards tower blocks burrowing into the ground.
Would this help me stand out when applying for civil engineering courses? and is it a good title for an Extended Project?
Thank you so much for your help :-)
Original post by infamous123

You could look into whether or not your position within a family for example first child, middle child, third child etc. has any affect on how well you do academically in life?
Original post by benSHTEE
Does the EPQ affect A2 subjects, ie how much time does it take?

I spent around 5-10 hours a week on mine but it was based on a hobby of mine so whenever i was at a rehearsal I was doing the primary research needed (which was 4-5 hours a week). It doesnt really affect your A levels as long as you plan your time effectively :smile:
help!
Should my epq be have double spacing?!?!?
Hello, I was just wondering.. is it far too boring to go along the cancer research kind of route for my essay question? Personally I find it really interesting but It's obviously not going to be one of those mega original titles that examiners are ecstatic to read. I think really what i'm asking is, if I answer my question fully, to the specification and competently, are examiners able to discriminate against it still just because it's not one of these abstract titles everyone else has come up with? Thanks in advance for any replies.
Original post by Robocop656
Hello, I was just wondering.. is it far too boring to go along the cancer research kind of route for my essay question? Personally I find it really interesting but It's obviously not going to be one of those mega original titles that examiners are ecstatic to read. I think really what i'm asking is, if I answer my question fully, to the specification and competently, are examiners able to discriminate against it still just because it's not one of these abstract titles everyone else has come up with? Thanks in advance for any replies.

I doubt it. Choose something that you are interested in and passionate about.
Does anyone have any topics/titles/ideas in the area of Biology/Chemistry/Psychology? I'm finding it very difficult to come up with something. Any help will be appreciated.
Is there a specification or official list of guidelines for EPQ somewhere? Not sure what my exam board is but one from any of them would be helpful
I'm doing the epq and want to do something on computer science or programming as that's what I want to do at uni but I'm not sure of what to do it on?? are there any guideline on what to do it on?? And suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
"Is the outrage and bans against genetically modified (GM) crops justified?" any other ideas on wording the question? I "outrage" maybe is a bit over the top.
Going to discuss pros and cons on GM crops in terms of science,ethics,economics etc.
GM crops has been coming up a lot in the news...
Any ideas on modification will be appreciated :smile:
I was just thinking guys, does our EPQ topic have to be based on what we plan on doing at UNI, or can it be in the topic area of any one of our current A Levels?

Cheers for any answers :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending