The Student Room Group

Thomas Campion English Essay Prize 2014!

Hi all!

I've just started planning my essay based on the question about Interpretation being the revenge of intellect upon art, it's a bit scary!
Is anyone else on TSR entering this year, and what questions are you using?

Scroll to see replies

oh no, i know you posted this a week ago, but yes I'm entering too! (or at least hoping I will get it together on time) unfortunately for me i still have no clue which question to do... eep
I just finished my essay. NOW. I'm sending it off for next day delivery tomorrow.
woooo good luck everyone
I sent mine off last week. I did 'Does modern literature stay modern?'.

I really enjoyed writing it but I'm worried it hasn't got there because someone else said that they had received a postcard in response and I haven't received anything.
Original post by FuzzingSas
Hi all!

I've just started planning my essay based on the question about Interpretation being the revenge of intellect upon art, it's a bit scary!
Is anyone else on TSR entering this year, and what questions are you using?

Original post by EmergencyBagels
oh no, i know you posted this a week ago, but yes I'm entering too! (or at least hoping I will get it together on time) unfortunately for me i still have no clue which question to do... eep

Original post by CaddyCompson
I sent mine off last week. I did 'Does modern literature stay modern?'.

I really enjoyed writing it but I'm worried it hasn't got there because someone else said that they had received a postcard in response and I haven't received anything.

Anyone hear back? :smile:
Original post by paradoxicalme
Anyone hear back? :smile:

Yeah, I got a letter this morning. I was commended! Really happy even though I didn't win.

What about you?
Yeah, I got a letter this morning. I was commended! Really happy even though I didn't win.

What about you?

The exact same! :biggrin: And bethanyyyy had the same too! :biggrin: Which is strange, because apparently there are only about 6 people commended :tongue: We all roughly made the top ten.
i was commended as well!
........ i hope they didnt tell everyone that..............
i was commended as well!
........ i hope they didnt tell everyone that..............

Nope, just the top ten or so. The admissions lady didn't know for certain but she said the shortlist couldn't have been much more than ten. :smile: Were you commended or highly commended?
Nope, just the top ten or so. The admissions lady didn't know for certain but she said the shortlist couldn't have been much more than ten. :smile: Were you commended or highly commended?

oo i didnt realise there was a commended or highly commended???? my letter says highly commended
oo i didnt realise there was a commended or highly commended???? my letter says highly commended

Then you're highly commended! Congrats :smile: That means you made the top six, whilst I and CaddyCompson made the top ten. You also get to attend the winner's lunch, I'm guessing? Also, your name is on the Peterhouse website, whilst I must linger in my own anonymous obscurity :tongue:

What essay title did you do?

What about you?

I forgot to ask, were you commended or highly commended? :smile:

Also, what was your essay title?
I forgot to ask, were you commended or highly commended? :smile:

Also, what was your essay title?

Only commended unfortunately.

It was 'Does modern literature stay modern?'
Only commended unfortunately.

It was 'Does modern literature stay modern?'

Same :smile: Argh, we got so close to being on the webpage! Still, getting commended from our university for our course's prize is beyond awesome :biggrin: And statistically, we came in the top 10% at least of people entering, and most of the people who entered will be intending to apply to Oxbridge.

Ergo, we rule. :tongue:

That's a really cool essay! Which books did you do for it? I did 'what is rhyme for?' and analysed a Wilfred Owen poem and some advertising slogans, though most of my essay was about concepts more than specific analysis.
Same :smile: Argh, we got so close to being on the webpage! Still, getting commended from our university for our course's prize is beyond awesome :biggrin: And statistically, we came in the top 10% at least of people entering, and most of the people who entered will be intending to apply to Oxbridge.

Ergo, we rule. :tongue:

That's a really cool essay! Which books did you do for it? I did 'what is rhyme for?' and analysed a Wilfred Owen poem and some advertising slogans, though most of my essay was about concepts more than specific analysis.

Yeah, I'm still pretty proud of it. I'm going to enter the Gould Prize too.

I did it on Tristram Shandy as well as generally discussing postmodernism and looking at a couple of texts for that.
Yeah, I'm still pretty proud of it. I'm going to enter the Gould Prize too.

I did it on Tristram Shandy as well as generally discussing postmodernism and looking at a couple of texts for that.

I hadn't heard of Tristram Shandy before but it looks pretty darn cool :tongue:

Ah, like Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse Five? I haven't done much on postmodernism so far in English, we mainly did modernism. I'd never be able to do an essay on postmodernism, so you're scary :tongue:

Good luck for Gould! I keep wondering whether I should do the 'poetry is a hobby' question. I'm stronger on poetry essays, because I write poetry and I've read a lot of it and I love analysing it...but most of the English course will be novels, and I only have a basic grounding in novels, so doing a novel essay might motivate me to read some Victorian or Edwardian novels that aren't just the ones everyone has read.
I hadn't heard of Tristram Shandy before but it looks pretty darn cool :tongue:

Ah, like Catch-22 and Slaughterhouse Five? I haven't done much on postmodernism so far in English, we mainly did modernism. I'd never be able to do an essay on postmodernism, so you're scary :tongue:

Good luck for Gould! I keep wondering whether I should do the 'poetry is a hobby' question. I'm stronger on poetry essays, because I write poetry and I've read a lot of it and I love analysing it...but most of the English course will be novels, and I only have a basic grounding in novels, so doing a novel essay might motivate me to read some Victorian or Edwardian novels that aren't just the ones everyone has read.

I'm thinking of doing the one on literature and lying. I haven't thought about what I'm going to do for it yet though.
Then you're highly commended! Congrats :smile: That means you made the top six, whilst I and CaddyCompson made the top ten. You also get to attend the winner's lunch, I'm guessing? Also, your name is on the Peterhouse website, whilst I must linger in my own anonymous obscurity :tongue:

What essay title did you do?

yeaa im off down there for a buffet or something
i did 'what is rhyme for?'
yeaa im off down there for a buffet or something
i did 'what is rhyme for?'

I did that too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending