The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Are Leeds lenient with grades?

Hi all,
I am just wondering if Leeds University are lenient with grades if they have been missed, particularly for a course that isn't popular or in demand. I applied for a specific course which is rare and it looks fantastic at Leeds, I really enjoyed the open day and the course itself looked brilliant, it was very flexible.

I've been very ill for the past 3 weeks leading into my exams which hasn't helped at all! So, just in case I don't quite meet the entry requirements, does anybody have an idea whether Leeds are lenient i.e one or two grades missed? I'll be very disappointed if I don't become accepted, I suppose I'm the one to blame if I don't do well, but the joint honours that I want to do elsewhere is not close to what I want in comparison with Leeds, and it's available at very few universities.

So, does anybody have an idea if they're lenient with grades, with an offer AAB?

thanks for reading :smile:
Hi,

I answered a similar question like this the other week, I've taken bits of it for the answer below...

Firstly - regarding your illness, you need to know if this was declared to your exam boards. If it was, it's not something that we can take into account really, as your final marks will have taken it into account (and if we did too, it would be like double-counting it if that makes sense?). If you didn't, you can contact the department to let them know of your extenuating circumstances. I'd recommend contacting the exam board first though as they will deal with it on a regular basis. Your teachers should be able to advise on this.

In terms of being lenient with grades, there's no definite yes or no answer, it really depends on how you preformed in which subjects, along side how all the other applicants performed. On results day, we can kid of split all the applicants into three groups:

-Must accept - i.e. they met or exceeded the terms of their offer - your place will be confirmed and you're coming to study at Leeds.
-Can accept - may have dropped a grade but still are a good candidate and we could accept them if there are spaces - this would depend on how the other candidates have done. Say we had 5 spaces, but there were 10 "can accept" applicants, we would review the applications and personal statements and select 5 to offer a place to. The others may be offered a place on a different (but related) course.
-Can't accept - people who missed their grades by a fair amount, and we can no longer accept as they do not meet the minimum requirements of the course. E.g. If you offer requires an A in Mathematics and you get a B or a C.

Once we've confirmed all the "must accepts", we then see how many spaces are left, and try to fill them with people who are still strong applicants, but maybe slipped a little in one subject.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions :smile:

Amanda
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by University of Leeds
Hi,

I answered a similar question like this the other week, I've taken bits of it for the answer below...

Firstly - regarding your illness, you need to know if this was declared to your exam boards. If it was, it's not something that we can take into account really, as your final marks will have taken it into account (and if we did too, it would be like double-counting it if that makes sense?). If you didn't, you can contact the department to let them know of your extenuating circumstances. I'd recommend contacting the exam board first though as they will deal with it on a regular basis. Your teachers should be able to advise on this.

In terms of being lenient with grades, there's no definite yes or no answer, it really depends on how you preformed in which subjects, along side how all the other applicants performed. On results day, we can kid of split all the applicants into three groups:

-Must accept - i.e. they met or exceeded the terms of their offer - your place will be confirmed and you're coming to study at Leeds.
-Can accept - may have dropped a grade but still are a good candidate and we could accept them if there are spaces - this would depend on how the other candidates have done. Say we had 5 spaces, but there were 10 "can accept" applicants, we would review the applications and personal statements and select 5 to offer a place to. The others may be offered a place on a different (but related) course.
-Can't accept - people who missed their grades by a fair amount, and we can no longer accept as they do not meet the minimum requirements of the course. E.g. If you offer requires an A in Mathematics and you get a B or a C.

Once we've confirmed all the "must accepts", we then see how many spaces are left, and try to fill them with people who are still strong applicants, but maybe slipped a little in one subject.

Amanda

Thanks for your information Amanda, It's very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 3
Hi pal

I studied mathematics at university. If you do not achieve your targeted grades one would expect they may look towards what you were predicted may be worth while you contacting the university to avoid any disappointment.

Best wishes
Reply 4
Original post by AT_17
Thanks for your information Amanda, It's very much appreciated :smile:

Original post by University of Leeds
Hi,

Amanda

Hi Amanda, unfortunately I don't think i've managed an A in maths :frown:

As a consequence, could I change course if I wanted to, say to German? The course I have applied for is Maths & German, or maybe defer my entry and resit an exam or two?
Original post by AT_17
Hi Amanda, unfortunately I don't think i've managed an A in maths :frown:

As a consequence, could I change course if I wanted to, say to German? The course I have applied for is Maths & German, or maybe defer my entry and resit an exam or two?

Firstly, wait until results day. I know it feels like ages away still but it really isn't long to go now.

Once you have your results for sure, and can check your status on our website (you'll get an email from us in early August telling you what you need to do and when) it will be easier for you to make these decisions.

If you've got the grades, then great, panic over :wink: If not, we may have made you a change course offer (offering you a place on another course). It's fine if you don't want to take it, when UCAS goes live in the afternoon of results day you'll be able to decline it.

To transfer to another course, it would need to be available through clearing. You'd still need to meet the conditions of that course, we won't be displaying our vacancies until 5pm on Wednesday 13 August.

I know this probably doesn't read as being too useful, but sit tight, and I'm sure everything will work out for you :smile:

Amanda
University of Leeds
Reply 6
I've got an offer for MEng CS and AI.

My normal offer is AAA but with A2L it is ABB.

I've just got my final exam results and I am slightly stressed as these are the grades I will probs get.

Computer Science - A*
Maths - A*/A
English Lit - B/C
EPQ - A*/A

If I get the C in the English will they still let me in? Has something similar happened to someone else?
Reply 7
What happened with you? Got accepted?

Latest