The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KJC79
Is this how motors work?
When you introduce direct current (flow of electrons, a charge) into a magnetic field, the force causes movement? That's all I know about it... please can somebody explain motors and generators? :frown:

I've described this before a few times. Check back through my posts on this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1421
Original post by physicalgraffiti
In a parallel circuit, why does the current through each component depend on the resistance of each component? Is it because the current is split between each branch and reaches different components which have different resistances, unlike series circuits?

I think that this answers your question:

In a series circuit, the total resistance of each component is higher. This is because there are less paths for the current to travel through.
In a parallel circuit, the total resistance of each component is less. This is because there are more paths for the current to travel through.

'More scientifically' - for a series circuit, less paths mean more collisions between the free ions so the resistance increases. For a parallel circuit, more paths mean less collisions between the free ions so the resistance decreases.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ToLiveInADream
Ah, thanks for reading through it. I explained it in the sentence above but I did it wrong haha. Yup it should be

12/230 times 3450 = 180

:smile: thanks anyway, i somehow get the maths bit now!
Original post by superdarklord
:biggrin: I know
I used to hate it but I don't know what it is, seriously love it now. I've read over it a billion times and I find that I understand it really well now. Don't give up you'll get there and eventually enjoy it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not gonna happen :tongue:
Original post by shivani210598
:smile: thanks anyway, i somehow get the maths bit now!

Haha yay :smile:
Original post by Sulfur
I think that this answers your question:

In a series circuit, the total resistance of each component is higher. This is because there are less paths for the current to travel through.
In a parallel circuit, the total resistance of each component is less. This is because there are more paths for the current to travel through.

Yay thank you for the simplification :tongue: I hate circuits so much...
Reply 1426
Original post by physicalgraffiti
Yay thank you for the simplification :tongue: I hate circuits so much...

Ha, I've just edited my post to go more in-depth with the resistance so maybe it won't be so simple now! :wink: So do I - and drawing them is even worse.
Original post by superdarklord

Yes, resistance is low and current does flow easier. however whether or not it is easy for current to flow is slightly irrelevant. The more resistance, the harder it is for the current to flow and so the current has to work more on the wire. Think about it this way. You have a swimming lane, it's completely free of any obstacles. It is easy to swim through, you aren't exerting much energy or doing much work. The resistance is low.

Then picture this, there are obstacles in the water. You're working harder to swim through, you're exerting more energy, doing more work. More energy is being put into the pool as heat energy.

In this way, increased resistance is like water with obstacles. The current (swimmer) has to work harder and so does more work, more energy is transferred and the light will switch on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much this really helps! :smile::biggrin:
A nuclear power station has to release 4.5x10^7 J of energy to provide one person with their
daily electricity needs. Use the formula m= e/c^2t o calculate the mass of fuel which must be
lost to provide this energy
c= 3.0 x10^8 m/s

How do i work this out?
Thanks
Reply 1429
Is anyone doing AQA Science next year btw? I'm doing Biology and Chemistry on AQA but Physics on OCR.
Theyre doing aqa next year for biology and chem in my school
If the voltage is shared in a series circuit, and say there are 2 components and the voltage f the battery is 3 would each component get 1.5v
Reply 1432
Original post by student4879489
A nuclear power station has to release 4.5x10^7 J of energy to provide one person with their
daily electricity needs. Use the formula m= e/c^2t o calculate the mass of fuel which must be
lost to provide this energy
c= 3.0 x10^8 m/s

How do i work this out?
Thanks

E = 4.5x107
C = 3x108
M = unknown

(In a calculator):

4.5x107 / (3x108)2 = mass
(C2 = 9x1016 if you want to speed the calculation up).

ANSWER:

Spoiler

Original post by romaiseb
Thank you! You've been such a help today haha - I understand now thanks to you and SuperDarkLord :P :biggrin:

Hah! ur here..! So im not the only one procrastinating on tsr instead of revising..
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by romaiseb
Thank you so much this really helps! :smile::biggrin:

No problem! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shivani210598
Hah! So im not the only one procrastinating on tsr instead of revising..

Haha nah don't worry it's not just you, girl :wink: See you outside the exam hall tomorrow - don't spend too much time on here! x haha
Thank you all so much
Original post by Swag>education
If the voltage is shared in a series circuit, and say there are 2 components and the voltage f the battery is 3 would each component get 1.5v

Yep :smile:
Guys I actually understand circuits now omg :colondollar: *insert tears of joy*
Reply 1439
What do you need to know about Fleming's left hand rule?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending