The Student Room Group

Can I have hair highlights as a medical student?

Can I have dip dyed hair highlights in my hair when starting medical school?

It wont be any loud colours, literally just a light brown, light auburn colour at the ends with the rest of my hair being black. Is it seen as unprofessional? Will I be able to talk to patients if I have such a hairstyle?

Also is very long hair acceptable? Does it always have to be tied up?

Thanks in advance :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Long hair will have to be tied up in any clinical setting, and often in labs too. For lectures etc where there is no patient contact, it doesn't matter.

The hair dye sounds fine as long as the colours aren't too wacky, which it doesn't seem like they are.
A Cambridge med student is in Miss UK :wink:
As a nurse I see many medical students come and go. I have seen tattoos, strange hair colours, weird facial piercings. It always surprises me that these are allowed. Some of the patients do a double take when they see them.
Original post by squeakysquirrel
As a nurse I see many medical students come and go. I have seen tattoos, strange hair colours, weird facial piercings. It always surprises me that these are allowed. Some of the patients do a double take when they see them.

I don't know what you mean by "allowed" ? What a person does with their own body is their business.
Original post by Helenia
Long hair will have to be tied up in any clinical setting, and often in labs too. For lectures etc where there is no patient contact, it doesn't matter.

The hair dye sounds fine as long as the colours aren't too wacky, which it doesn't seem like they are.

Original post by Old_Simon
A Cambridge med student is in Miss UK :wink:

Wow, that's cool :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I don't know what you mean by "allowed" ? What a person does with their own body is their business.

Not when you're a doctor or indeed in whatever job role that requires a certain level of professionalism both in appearance and behaviour. At my uni they gave us a talk at the beginning of the year back in year 1 about dressing smart and looking presentable whenever you're in the hospital even when it's just a seminar.

I can definitely see it from the patient's side though, that is, having a doctor with pink hair and and tattoos would certainly signal alarm sounds in my head.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Shiroyuki
Not when you're a doctor or indeed in whatever job role that requires a certain level of professionalism both in appearance and behaviour. At my uni they gave us a talk at the beginning of the year back in year 1 about dressing smart and looking presentable whenever you're in the hospital even when it's just a seminar.

I can definitely see it from the patient's side though, that is, having a doctor with pink hair and and tattoos would certainly signal alarm sounds in my head.

A moment's thought would tell you that your personal prejudices have no bearing on the clinical efficiency of a doctor. In the USA they have trial attornies who are bikers in their private lives but so what.

A further moment of reflection would also let you realise that style choices and moral quality or "behaviour" are completely different things. It is a short step from disliking pink hair to disliking black people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Can I have dip dyed hair highlights in my hair when starting medical school?

It wont be any loud colours, literally just a light brown, light auburn colour at the ends with the rest of my hair being black. Is it seen as unprofessional? Will I be able to talk to patients if I have such a hairstyle?

Also is very long hair acceptable? Does it always have to be tied up?

Thanks in advance :smile:

It'll be fine! I have bright red hair and no-ones ever described it as unprofessional - several patients have made nice comments about it :smile: There's another student at my uni who's had navy blue and fluoro yellow hair, which apparently she was told had to be changed before clinicals, so there is a line on how crazy your hair can be, but natural coloured dip-dye is not going to be an issue.
Reply 9
A moment's thought would tell you that your personal prejudices have no bearing on the clinical efficiency of a doctor. In the USA they have trial attornies who are bikers in their private lives but so what.

I never said they did. However those preconceptions are formed within 10 seconds of meeting someone or so we are told therefore you can't get away from them.

As a doctor it is your duty to put the patient at ease and if it means sacrificing something as unfortunate as a tattoo or a lurid hair dye then so be it.

Just don't complain when your peers don't take you seriously. :rolleyes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I never said they did. However those preconceptions are formed within 10 seconds of meeting someone or so we are told therefore you can't get away from them.

As a doctor it is your duty to put the patient at ease and if it means sacrificing something as unfortunate as a tattoo or a lurid hair dye then so be it.

Just don't complain when your peers don't take your seriously. :rolleyes:

I don't know about a doctors duty but I do know the duty of any person dealing with a professional is not to pre judge them based on Victorian and irrelevant values. There are dentists and surgeons who play loud rock music as they work. Get over it. This is not 1950.

Just don't complain when your peers don't take you seriously. :rolleyes:

But my hair dye is a natural colour :s-smilie:

Like I said I'm not showing tattoos or dying it bright pink, it's just a light auburn colour on the ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't know about a doctors duty but I do know the duty of any person dealing with a professional is not to pre judge them based on Victorian and irrelevant values. There are dentists and surgeons who play loud rock music as they work. Get over it. This is not 1950.

Personal prejudice arguments aside, hospitals have dress codes. All staff have to adhere to these as a condition of employment. The vast majority of rules are to do with hygiene (hair tied up, bare below the elbows etc) but there are also elements relating to "professional" appearance. You can rail against this all you like but they're not going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Helenia
Personal prejudice arguments aside, hospitals have dress codes. All staff have to adhere to these as a condition of employment. The vast majority of rules are to do with hygiene (hair tied up, bare below the elbows etc) but there are also elements relating to "professional" appearance. You can rail against this all you like but they're not going anywhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ridiculous non sequiter. Hair colour has nothing to do with hygiene or clinical efficiency or even professional appearance. If it did fat doctors would be banned.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
But my hair dye is a natural colour :s-smilie:

Like I said I'm not showing tattoos or dying it bright pink, it's just a light auburn colour on the ends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't talking about you hehe. As the two mods said natural hair dye is acceptable. I was just arguing with old simon. :P
Original post by squeakysquirrel

Yes but people in this thread are more interested in telling us what they think is right and wrong than paying any attention to a professional eye witness observer like yourself telling us what really goes on. Ridiculous. :wink:
Ridiculous non sequiter. Hair colour has nothing to do with hygiene or clinical efficiency or even professional appearance. If it did fat doctors would be banned.

*sigh*

No, hair colour doesn't have anything to do with hygiene - but other appearance-related things do, like having to have long hair tied up, no fake nails, bare below the elbows etc.

And while you can rail against it all you like, and bitch about society and call people judgemental, in general hair colour is considered part of professional appearance and there are plenty of people, especially of an older generation, who would consider "unnatural" hair colours unprofessional, just as they would consider wearing shorts or a bikini top to work unprofessional. Hence why we have dress codes and so on - and if you want to stay on the course then you have to stick with them. Plenty of offices have dress codes and your biker lawyers probably don't wear their leathers to court :wink:

I have never seen a clinical medical student with crazy coloured hair, though I'm sure there are a few around, and I remember one guy with skanky looking dreads which I thought really didn't look great. There have been a few with funny piercings although most hospitals do not allow them, and a few more with visible tattoos. Doesn't mean that I would recommend them to anyone.

And surgeons who play overly loud music of any genre while operating are nobs.
Reply 17

Wow, you make a good point. Quick, you better let all the medical schools and trusts know that they're doing it all wrong!

Looking professional tends to be considered important. As others have said, that's the reality of the situation whether you agree with it or not.

As for the OP, I don't see any problem with hair highlights as described.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Looking professional tends to be considered important. As others have said, that's the reality of the situation whether you agree with it or not.

As for the OP, I don't see any problem with hair highlights as described.

You are all so confused. It was another poster squeakysquirrel who told us those types of things go on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending