The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lyricalvibe
I just when to the font page and thought about what I could relate to the question :tongue:, you know the neutron emission question? I went to the back of the exam paper to look up the element :lol: I'm to dependant on that formula sheet :tongue:

Lol same!! I learnt how to use all the formulas anyway, but when I went into the exam the nerves got the better of me and I kept flicking back and front constantly :tongue:
Original post by akl141
Momentum was relevant to mention as well as the fact that his driving forces was greater than the counter forces such as friction and drag. Kinetic energy would also be relevant, but GPE would only be relevant if you linked it to an increase in kinetic energy/speed. Also useful to mention that when Amir runs, he creates an interaction pair on the surface with a greater force that pushes him.

I linked G.P.E to his jump because he gained more G.P.E with a bigger run up and therefore more kinetic energy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nah, it looks scary but the only proper equation is paralax and that is just some triangle chizz :tongue: it's like advanced p4 and some stars :biggrin:
I was so stressful for that exam though, I'm starting bio today because I ain't doing last minute like that again :nope: fried my brain me thinks :redface:

Physics fried my brain a long time ago xD

I'm fairly confident for B7 & C7, it's just P7 that will inevitably drag my physics grade down further

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by olmyster911
I had no idea what to put for that one. Did you mention momentum, K.E, G.P.E & drag? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I mentioned momentum, velocity, force and change in momentum and the fact that the larger the momentum the harder it would be for him to stop. And then i said things about reaction forces and how his foot would be pushing down on the floor which would increase the reaction force. This would overcome gravity/weight and then make him jump. Although i spent the majority talking about the former :tongue:
Original post by Magnesium
I mentioned momentum, velocity, force and change in momentum and the fact that the larger the momentum the harder it would be for him to stop. And then i said things about reaction forces and how his foot would be pushing down on the floor which would increase the reaction force. This would overcome gravity/weight and then make him jump. Although i spent the majority talking about the former :tongue:

You made better points than me :s-smilie:

I didn't mention forces at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
If the grade boundaries were 20 B 27 A and 34 A* last year, would the grade boundaries rise by a lot this year ? I want an overall A or something, but I failed this paper and got about maybe 26 or 27. What do you guys think this will be? Overall, how did most people find it at your school ? I hope this doesn't bring me down even more, I p123 was even worse for me !
The 6 markers were really kind! They were like 10 markers, especially the last one on radioactive waste, I write a page and a half on that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by brown_eyes
If the grade boundaries were 20 B 27 A and 34 A* last year, would the grade boundaries rise by a lot this year ? I want an overall A or something, but I failed this paper and got about maybe 26 or 27. What do you guys think this will be? Overall, how did most people find it at your school ? I hope this doesn't bring me down even more, I p123 was even worse for me !

Last year it was 38 for an A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1568
These are what I put, can anyone give an approximate mark (or correct them! :rolleyes:)

P4 6 maker:

At the start all of the forces are stationary (weight and gravity are constants)
When he runs, he begins to accelerate and build up momentum
Air resistance is not a greater force after a bit, his resultant force is to go forward (driving force) from the build up of forces
When continuing to run, he builds up more acceleration and momentum (work done)
This results in a greater K.E and when he jumps he transfers the energy to go higher/further
KE = work done, KE turns to GPE and then he begins to fall

P5:

Filament lamp wire is smaller so there are more collisions with the free moving ions
This results in a greater resistance and the temperature rises
This causes the filament lamp to glow
Connecting wires are bigger so there are less collisions with the free moving ions
This results in less resistance and the temperature isn't as great
This means that the wires don't glow
I think I put something else too (anyone got an idea? :tongue:), but my answer filled the last line only.

P6:

I agree that there are risks as radioactive waste emits ionising radiation
Ionising radiation can kill/damage cells and cause mutations and cancer if people are close to the power station
However, power stations are built away from most people and disposed of correctly
Low level waste - (e.g medical gloves? :confused:) - disposed on dumps/landfill sites - has a long half life, low activity - but public could still be affected
Intermediate level waste (e.g surgical equipment? :confused:) - disposed of by putting it in cement and steel contains - shorter half life, more activity - away from public as it's underground
High level waste (forgot to put an example...) - short half life, high activity - put in glass (vitrification), cooled to reduce heat and put underground in containers - away from people
Overall, there are risks but the benefits (no CO2, more energy) outweighs the risks of radioactive waste.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
These are what I put, can anyone give an approximate mark (or correct them! :rolleyes:)

P4 6 maker:

At the start all of the forces are stationary (weight and gravity are constants)
Air resistance is not a greater force, his resultant force is to go forward (driving force) from the build up of forces
This results in a greater K.E and when he jumps he transfers the energy to go higher/further

P5:

Filament lamp wire is smaller so there are more collisions with the free moving ions
Connecting wires are bigger so there are less collisions with the free moving ions
I think I put something else too (anyone got an idea? :tongue:), but my answer filled the last line only.

P6:

Ionising radiation can kill/damage cells and cause mutations and cancer if people are close to the power station
However, power stations are built away from most people and disposed of correctly
Low level waste - (e.g medical gloves? :confused:) - disposed on dumps/landfill sites - has a long half life, low activity - but public could still be affected
Intermediate level waste (e.g surgical equipment? :confused:) - disposed of by putting it in cement and steel contains - shorter half life, more activity - away from public as it's underground
High level waste (forgot to put an example...) - short half life, high activity - put in glass (vitrification), cooled to reduce heat and put underground in containers - away from people
Overall, there are risks but the benefits (no CO2, more energy) outweighs the risks of radioactive waste.

4/5 for p4
4/5 for p5
5 for p6

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur

P4 6 maker:

Air resistance is not a greater force after a bit, his resultant force is to go forward (driving force) from the build up of forces
4 I THINK. COULD HAVE TALKED ABOUT HOW ALL THE MOMENTUM IS CONVERTED TO LIFT IN THE JUMP HENCE MORE MOMENTUM BETTER JUMP (RELATING IT TO THE QUESTION)

P5:

4/5 SOUNDS SOLID :smile: I DON'T THINK YOU HAD TO MENTION THAT THE FILAMENT IS A RESISTOR BECAUSE I DON'T THINK I'VE SEEN THAT ON THE-MAY BE MISTAKEN- I' M LEANING TO 5

P6:

6- IF YOUR SPAG WAS ON POINT :wink: on your last one, I ran out of time so so I didn't get to talk about the people side of the question as much as I'd like :frown:
Comments in cap
Reply 1571
6- IF YOUR SPAG WAS ON POINT :wink: on your last one, I ran out of time so so I didn't get to talk about the people side of the question as much as I'd like :frown:
Comments in cap

Thank you very much! Yes I agree with your comment on the P5 question - I didn't see it in the spec/CGP book that it was a resistor too. The six markers were actually alright overall then! :smile:

Original post by brodingoson
4/5 for p4
4/5 for p5
5 for p6

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did everyone put for the P6 tick boxes on killing living cells??

Posted from TSR Mobile
What was the answer for the second question - the gap fill one about speed = ... velocity x time? I put average but I'm not sure:s-smilie:
Original post by nelizabeth_
What was the answer for the second question - the gap fill one about speed = ... velocity x time? I put average but I'm not sure:s-smilie:

I put instantaneous :s-smilie: no clue what's right though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did...
- cancer
- sterilises equipment

Can't remember the third one I ticked
Reply 1576

Posted from TSR Mobile

Surgical equipment, food and cancer
Reply 1577
I put instantaneous :s-smilie: no clue what's right though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by nelizabeth_

I put instantaneous but apparently ​it's average. Average seems right too.
Original post by Sulfur
Surgical equipment, food and cancer

I kinda put tracers :frown:

How many marks will I lose if I put food, tracers & cancer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sulfur
I put instantaneous but apparently ​it's average. Average seems right too.

Any confirmation of it being average?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending