The Student Room Group

Are Uni's more/less lenient with courses with lower entry requirements?

So for competitive courses grades vary from A*A*A all the way down to say AAB or ABB depending on the Uni for most courses. Leniency depends on say, if the course has any spaces or whether you're 1 grade below your offer right?So what about for Courses with lower requirements, specifically speaking foundation years?I want to do an engineering foundation year at Nottingham which requires BBC but after doing some of my exams I think I've thrown that away and the best I can achieve now is BCC.Do Uni's tend to be lenient more often with lower requirement courses, or is it the opposite/unchanged?Problem is, this is my insurance. Do Uni's ever give leniency to people who put them as their insurance?
Reply 1
Original post by AR_95
So for competitive courses grades vary from A*A*A all the way down to say AAB or ABB depending on the Uni for most courses. Leniency depends on say, if the course has any spaces or whether you're 1 grade below your offer right?So what about for Courses with lower requirements, specifically speaking foundation years?I want to do an engineering foundation year at Nottingham which requires BBC but after doing some of my exams I think I've thrown that away and the best I can achieve now is BCC.Do Uni's tend to be lenient more often with lower requirement courses, or is it the opposite/unchanged?Problem is, this is my insurance. Do Uni's ever give leniency to people who put them as their insurance?

For engineering degree my bro was asked ABB (for insurance) and he got ABC, still got accepted to his insurance. but that was uni of surrey and 3 years ago, and despite doing GCSE's and A levels he had to pay international fees (that might be a factor too).

I think it all depends on space for the course, if they have space and you miss by one grade, then they can still accept you.
Original post by AR_95

Foundation courses are generally for people who don't have the grades to get on to the degree programme, so they are a little more lenient, yes.

At the lower universities, there is a lot of leniency for most courses.

Whether or not a university will be lenient will always depend on how many people missed their offer. So, based on that, those with lower entry requirements would have more people meeting their offers.
Reply 3
Original post by Knalchemist
Foundation courses are generally for people who don't have the grades to get on to the degree programme, so they are a little more lenient, yes.

At the lower universities, there is a lot of leniency for most courses.

Whether or not a university will be lenient will always depend on how many people missed their offer. So, based on that, those with lower entry requirements would have more people meeting their offers.

But they also don't tend to be as competitive or over subscribed like the top courses with direct entry such as English law maths medicine etc

Nottingham is quite prestigious which is what worries me

Also this is the actual course but with the foundation year attatched so basically I start year 0 of a 4 year course.

There are foundation courses which are one year only and not a degree this isn't what I'm applying for

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
But they also don't tend to be as competitive or over subscribed like the top courses with direct entry such as English law maths medicine etc

Nottingham is quite prestigious which is what worries me

Posted from TSR Mobile

It just depends on how many people miss their offer in that year. If a lot of people miss, they are more lenient, if only a handful miss, then they won't be very lenient at all.

It's a waiting game really :frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Knalchemist
It just depends on how many people miss their offer in that year. If a lot of people miss, they are more lenient, if only a handful miss, then they won't be very lenient at all.

It's a waiting game really :frown:

Yeah I guess :/

Thing is I looked at clearing and what's already available and my course was on clearing meaning there are currently spaces right?

I hate the waiting game

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Yeah I guess :/

Thing is I looked at clearing and what's already available and my course was on clearing meaning there are currently spaces right?

I hate the waiting game

Posted from TSR Mobile

Clearing isn't open yet, it opens on 30th June.... It is Extra that is open at the moment. Extra just means they are accepting new, but late, applications.

Thing is universities are able to offer places to an unlimited amount of student who achieve AAB+ (Or is it ABB, don't remember which). So, if people apply with those grades, they'll get an offer most likely, otherwise it's likely they won't....if that makes any sense?
Reply 7
Some aren't lenient, because the requirements are already low. If you can't meet those requirements then you might not have the required skills. Even for foundation years you need some skills and knowledge to get on the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
you mind me asking what grades you got and whether you got in? i've applied for the same course.
Original post by AR_95

Leniency usually is for courses with high requirements if you got say A* A* B for an A*A*A course and you were 1ums below that al important A then you would be in with a good chance but if it was a good strong B right on the bubble or the grade bounty say a B was 50%-60% and you got 55% then you might not get in

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending