The Student Room Group

What are your perception of good grades?

Basically just wondering what other people perceive good grades to be... I will start by saying that I think that 'good grades' must be AAA (AS btw), however I know that I have royally ****ed chemistry up and so I'd be extremely lucky to get an A in this, suppose I'll have to resit it next year :frown: . I would like to state that these are good grades by my standards and I am more than aware that there can be no one universal consensus of what 'good grades' are. This is strictly personal to myself.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JoshZ
Basically just wondering what other people perceive good grades to be... I will start by saying that I think that 'good grades' must be AAA (AS btw), however I know that I have royally ****ed chemistry up and so I'd be extremely lucky to get an A in this, suppose I'll have to resit it next year :frown: . I would like to state that these are good grades by my standards and I am more than aware that there can be no one universal consensus of what 'good grades' are. This is strictly personal to myself.

Hmmm.... I think what I would consider a good grade in a subject is a B... anything below a B is just not good in my opinion. An A is very good for a subject in my opinion. This year I think I've got ABC (AS), the A being in maths. I think anything less than an A in maths isn't good... I don't know if it's just me but I just feel liike so many people can just pump out an A at AS if they are decent at maths. What's everyone else's thoughts.
Original post by JoshZ

I'm in the middle of sitting my A2's and last year I wanted AAAA, which I got. I decided I wanted to aim for A*A*A*A* (although not what I expect by far) and I know I effed up chemistry this year so hopefully I can pull off an A. For me this year I would consider "good" to be anything that gets me my uni of choice. My offer is A*A*AA so thats what I want.
Original post by Nicole14510
I'm in the middle of sitting my A2's and last year I wanted AAAA, which I got. I decided I wanted to aim for A*A*A*A* (although not what I expect by far) and I know I effed up chemistry this year so hopefully I can pull off an A. For me this year I would consider "good" to be anything that gets me my uni of choice. My offer is A*A*AA so thats what I want.

That offer though holy... Where you going?
Original post by crayolaguy
That offer though holy... Where you going?

Cambridge for Natural Sciences *fingers crossed* so far exams havent gone as well as I'd hoped, but I can't remember if i said that last year or not lol.
Cambridge for Natural Sciences *fingers crossed* so far exams havent gone as well as I'd hoped, but I can't remember if i said that last year or not lol.

You probably did haha... we all have doubts but that's just normal. I'm sure you have smashed it :biggrin:
You probably did haha... we all have doubts but that's just normal. I'm sure you have smashed it :biggrin:

Unfortunately I still have 6 exams left :s-smilie: so can't breathe yet haha. What subjects do you do?
Unfortunately I still have 6 exams left :s-smilie: so can't breathe yet haha. What subjects do you do?

I do AS. I'm currently doing Maths, Accounting, IT. (I did business also but dropped it near the start of the year). Only really like maths out of my options to be honest... IT is just easy like everyone says. It really is just simple, but this year I was pretty lazy and only got B's in my coursework (which is horrible considering how easy it is, trust me). But recently I've changed so next year I'm looking to maybe re-do some of that coursework and also smash the A2 coursework to get an A overalls.

I find Accounting the hardest of my 3 subjects because it's just so new to me and like I said I was pretty lazy this year so I just didn't learn things as in depth as I know I could so that's probably just gonna be a C. As for maths I'm probably going to get an A because I thought my core 1 and 2 have went good so far and I only have decision left which is easy.

Next year I want to pick up AS further maths as I want to do Maths at university and that will help me a bit.

Which subjects do you do by the way :smile: I forgot to ask.
Reply 9

Jesus Christ, I wish I was that smart :biggrin:. There is only a realistic possibility of me even managing to get 1 A*. I have also messed up my chemistry AS exam :angry:. I'm going to have to retake that next year, I honestly don't know what happened to my brain during those exams, I panicked so much for some reason throughout both of them and missed out on some very easy marks. Good luck with your Cambridge offer (I am very jealous :smile: ).
Reply 10
I do AS. I'm currently doing Maths, Accounting, IT. (I did business also but dropped it near the start of the year). Only really like maths out of my options to be honest... IT is just easy like everyone says. It really is just simple, but this year I was pretty lazy and only got B's in my coursework (which is horrible considering how easy it is, trust me). But recently I've changed so next year I'm looking to maybe re-do some of that coursework and also smash the A2 coursework to get an A overalls.

I find Accounting the hardest of my 3 subjects because it's just so new to me and like I said I was pretty lazy this year so I just didn't learn things as in depth as I know I could so that's probably just gonna be a C. As for maths I'm probably going to get an A because I thought my core 1 and 2 have went good so far and I only have decision left which is easy.

Next year I want to pick up AS further maths as I want to do Maths at university and that will help me a bit.

I'm in the same boat as you, really wish I had applied myself a bit more this year :frown:.
Hmmm, I would say B-A*

Although, having said that, if I got a B in any of my subjects my life would just fall apart... !

Edit: just realised that sounds really snobby - it's only because my uni offer is A*AA
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoshZ
I'm in the same boat as you, really wish I had applied myself a bit more this year :frown:.

Yeah, It really does suck... But it's a good job we realised this before A2 so we can resit and also improve in A2, I'm assuming you're only AS right?
Reply 13
Yeah, It really does suck... But it's a good job we realised this before A2 so we can resit and also improve in A2, I'm assuming you're only AS right?

Yeah I've just done my AS exams. I suppose you're right there - I'm going to nerd out A2 :biggrin:.
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
Hmmm, I would say B-A*

Although, having said that, if I got a B in any of my subjects my life would just fall apart... !

Edit: just realised that sounds really snobby - it's only because my uni offer is A*AA

Hahaa, yeah I mean I don't think it sounds snobby because everyone has different goals which is what people really need to realise.. Nobody is trying to put down anyone else but saying they're disappointed or anything, it's just everyone has different goals.
Original post by JoshZ
Yeah I've just done my AS exams. I suppose you're right there - I'm going to nerd out A2 :biggrin:.

me too B)
Anything that's above the national average.
Reply 17
Original post by TheDreadedDuck
Hmmm, I would say B-A*

It's not snobby at all, we all have goals and expectations of ourselves and if we do not meet these then we are obviously going to be disappointed.
Reply 18
Generally anything above a C sounds good but it depends on the subject. For example, if you told me you got a B in Law or Chemistry then I'd be more impressed than if you told me you god a B in Art or Textiles but as long as you get the grades that you need to get into the uni that you want to then that's good enough for me
I think it depends on how hard the person finds the subject too. For example if someone struggles all year with a subject but works as hard as they can and gets a C I think it's a good grade if that's their personal best. However if someone who is clearly capable of getting an A in the same subject but gets a C then it's not good because they've underachieved. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest