The Student Room Group

GCSE ancient history

I'm looking for some information on exam technique for this subject as its this I struggle with more than the knowledge. Does anyone have any good tips for ancient history exam technique? I need to know things like timings for each question, how frequently to reference sources and which sources to use when; that kind of thing. Thanks :smile:
Original post by KatieB98
I'm looking for some information on exam technique for this subject as its this I struggle with more than the knowledge. Does anyone have any good tips for ancient history exam technique? I need to know things like timings for each question, how frequently to reference sources and which sources to use when; that kind of thing. Thanks :smile:

This link is a teachers' website - but there are lots of interesting pointers and resources on there. Might be helpful for you? http://www.theclassicslibrary.com/groups/gcse-ancient-history/#
Reply 2
Original post by shooks
This link is a teachers' website - but there are lots of interesting pointers and resources on there. Might be helpful for you? http://www.theclassicslibrary.com/groups/gcse-ancient-history/#

Thank you so much! Are you studying the subject at the moment?
Original post by KatieB98
Thank you so much! Are you studying the subject at the moment?

Sadly not - my GCSE days are themselves ancient history. :wink: I actually work full time at TSR. Hope your exams go well though - good luck!
Reply 4
anyone got the exam tomorrow?
Original post by shnen
anyone got the exam tomorrow?

I had it today, how did you find it?
Reply 6
Original post by Steven220898

I don't think it went too brilliantly tbh, none of the questions were particularly nice and I finished with about 30 seconds left. Were you doing Alexander the Great or the Persian wars? I did Persia
I did Alexander and I anyone else did it please tell me what you wrote for te short answers

Which unit did u do????
Alexander and it was ok, I know I have done better as some people from my year chose unit 1 where as they needed to
Choose unit 2!!! How did you find Rome/Hannibal?
Alexander and it was ok, I know I have done better as some people from my year chose unit 1 where as they needed to
Choose unit 2!!! How did you find Rome/Hannibal?

I did Rome, and I thought it was ok apart from a 30 marker on Numa -_-

Got Cleopatra today - are you doing Cleo or Agrippina?
Reply 11
Just did cleo, thought it went kind of alright actually, better than the previous two for sure
Reply 12
Original post by shnen
Just did cleo, thought it went kind of alright actually, better than the previous two for sure

What points did you put for the 30 mark on her relationship with Anthony question 5
Yeah I did Cleo, it was ok but I hated ever second of the course, what was your controlled assesment about?
Reply 14
Original post by 1998
What points did you put for the 30 mark on her relationship with Anthony question 5

I did the other 30 marker, sorry. For controlled assessment I did Mycenae, you?
Reply 15
Original post by shnen
I did the other 30 marker, sorry. For controlled assessment I did Mycenae, you?

I did ancient Egypt what mark did you get in yours????
Reply 16
Original post by 1998
I did ancient Egypt what mark did you get in yours????

I dunno, we haven't been given our marks. I don't think I did too well because I went over the word limit and I didn't use many sources (the whole thing was based on analysing artifacts and most of it was me just copying what books on the subject say lol)

What was your mark if you did get it then?

Quick Reply

Latest