The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cleveradam
You also have 'vastly superior resources' - 300 million that has accumulated over the past decade with little being spent. Wenger loves to sign 15 year old stars from the French league and all those free transfers. The Ozil signing was just to keep the Arsenal fans quiet so he can go another 5 seasons without spending more than 10 million on a player.

Where did you get this 300m figure from? We've been paying off the stadium which cost almost 400m over the last decade. Now, we've nearly paid off the debt and renewed our sponsorship and kit deals to ones that are very competitive. So yes, we have some more money to spend on quality players now, but we still can't afford to blow 30m on a player who doesn't fit in the team, or address any of its problems.

The rest of your post is pretty much a load of *******s so I won't even bother to respond to it.
I don't understand how people think Fabregas wouldn't be a good signing cos we have other centre mids.

When u can buy a world class centre mid better than all you have got. U buy that centre mid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
I don't understand how people think Fabregas wouldn't be a good signing cos we have other centre mids.

When u can buy a world class centre mid better than all you have got. U buy that centre mid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do realise there are different roles in a midfield right? We need to sign a midfielder with good defensive positioning and tackling ability. This is pretty much the opposite of Fabregas. Arteta has been playing this role for us the last few years and even he is being played out of position.
We should buy Bernard from Shakhtar.
Original post by De Chirico
1. How do you get Fabregas, Ozil and Ramsey in the same team? None of those three will want to be on the bench for any extended amount of time.

Several ways. You could play a 4-3-3 with them as the three. That way it doesn't matter that you don't have a DM as you have three in the middle so it's more solid defensively than 2.

You could continue with the 4-2-3-1 and have Fabregas as a false 9.

You could play 4-2-2-2 with Ramsey in the deep two, Ozil in the attacking mid two and Fab either in the attacking mid two or in the striking two.

Anyway, you're Arsenal, one of them will be injured for a while.
(edited 9 years ago)
The trolls are out in force.....
Original post by baconbutty
1. Play a 4-2-2-2
2. Obviously not if arteta consistently plays there
3. Wilsheres performances are overhyped because he is English he is nowhere near the level of fabregas
4. Arsenal have 150mil in the bank and similar resources to bayern

cesc can also play as a false 9 and in a deep lying position

dress it up whatever way you want 28.4mil for one of the best midfielders in the world who wants to play for us ludicrous decision making not to sign him

Arteta / Flamini's position is the one that needs to be improved on with a better defensive midfielder. We have two of the worlds best creative midfield talents already in Ozil and Ramsey.

Our team has obvious problems. Signing Fabregas solves none of them. I don't understand how you could have watched us this season and not realise this.
Arteta / Flamini's position is the one that needs to be improved on with a better defensive midfielder. We have two of the worlds best creative midfield talents already in Ozil and Ramsey.

Our team has obvious problems. Signing Fabregas solves none of them. I don't understand how you could have watched us this season and not realise this.

A dm isn't the reason arsenal kept getting spanked don't tell me you buy in to this dm *******s I suggest you go back and take a look at the goals conceded. Why do arsenal need a dm away but seem to manage fine at home I'll give you a clue is starts with tac and ends with tics. Fabregas was a cheap world class midfielder who wanted to play for the club and could easily of been accommodated.
Original post by manchesterunited15
Several ways. You could play a 4-3-3 with them as the three. That way it doesn't matter that you don't have a DM as you have three in the middle so it's more solid defensively than 2.

You could play 4-2-2-2 with Ramsey in the deep two, Ozil in the attacking mid two and Fab either in the attacking mid two or in the striking two.

Your first suggestion would mean sacrificing Ramsey's attacking ability as he is the only one out of the three who can actually put in a tackle.

As for number two, why would you want to play a midfielder up front ahead of Ozil? It doesn't complement his play style at all. You're only suggesting that because Fabregas played there at Barca, a completely different team.

The 4-2-2-2 works on FIFA but in real life we would have no width and no pace and be vulnerable on the flanks.
A dm isn't the reason arsenal kept getting spanked don't tell me you buy in to this dm *******s I suggest you go back and take a look at the goals conceded. Why do arsenal need a dm away but seem to manage fine at home I'll give you a clue is starts with tac and ends with tics. Fabregas was a cheap world class midfielder who wanted to play for the club and could easily of been accommodated.

If you're acknowledging that our tactics were the reason we got spanked, you'll agree we need a more defensive overall approach away from home against the big teams. Soak up pressure better and counter attack with Ozil and pace out wide. So we need to sign a midfielder who is suited to playing defensively. Not Fabregas.
Your first suggestion would mean sacrificing Ramsey's attacking ability as he is the only one out of the three who can actually put in a tackle.

As for number two, why would you want to play a midfielder up front ahead of Ozil? It doesn't complement his play style at all. You're only suggesting that because Fabregas played there at Barca, a completely different team.

The 4-2-2-2 works on FIFA but in real life we would have no width and no pace and be vulnerable on the flanks.

Number 2: It could work well as long as you have pace on the wings, which you do in Walcott, Ox and possibly a new signing. Fab has played there with Iniesta in behind, that's similar to having Ozil in behind.

4-2-2-2 worked for City with similar players in Silva and Nasri. Also if Fabregas plays as one of the front 2, that leaves space for Walcott to play in the AM 2 and provide some pace and width.

Wenger dun goofed
Reply 7631
Number 2: It could work well as long as you have pace on the wings, which you do in Walcott, Ox and possibly a new signing. Fab has played there with Iniesta in behind, that's similar to having Ozil in behind.

4-2-2-2 worked for City with similar players in Silva and Nasri. Also if Fabregas plays as one of the front 2, that leaves space for Walcott to play in the AM 2 and provide some pace and width.

Wenger dun goofed

Do City play 4222 though? It's more of a 4132.

This.

People making me agree with butty. FML.

Good luck to Arsenal for their big game hammering goals of 2015.

Fabregas never really worked as a false 9 in truth, I'd prefer to just spend the cash on an actual 9 with a proven record.
If you're acknowledging that our tactics were the reason we got spanked, you'll agree we need a more defensive overall approach away from home against the big teams. Soak up pressure better and counter attack with Ozil and pace out wide. So we need to sign a midfielder who is suited to playing defensively. Not Fabregas.

It's got nothing to do with playing defensively it just involves not doing suicide attacking tactics. A balanced approach. Explain to me why 8 players are ahead of play 10 minutes in vs chelsea at Stamford bridge and we get slaughtered but the team plays cautiously at the emirates and gets a result. It has absolutely nothing to do with a DM it's just awful tactics. What difference would a dm of made to the goals conceded vs city, Liverpool? Fabregas could easily of played artetas/flaminis role to a much higher
Level. I don't see why he wouldn't fit a counter attacking plan as well he would excel releasing runners from deep on the counter

Wenger dun goofed

We need more pace in the team anyway. Easier to keep our current setup and just add a pacy attacker or two, surely? Ozil is the perfect player to quickly transition the ball to runners on the wings so give him free reign in the middle. Wenger is obviously building the team around Ozil.

I just can't see a 4-2-2-2 working with the players we have. Again, it would involve changing the way the team has been playing all season. I want to see the same system with improvements in a few key areas.
Original post by 419
Do City play 4222 though? It's more of a 4132.

Not so much any more, they did in 11-12 and 12-13 though

Original post by Zürich
Good luck to Arsenal for their big game hammering goals of 2015.

Fabregas never really worked as a false 9 in truth, I'd prefer to just spend the cash on an actual 9 with a proven record.

Could hardly be much worse than it was this season

What actual 9? Mandzukic?
Reply 7636
Not so much any more, they did in 11-12 and 12-13 though

So you're telling me that Yaya and his 20 goals plays a deep role?
It's got nothing to do with playing defensively it just involves not doing suicide attacking tactics. A balanced approach. Explain to me why 8 players are ahead of play 10 minutes in vs chelsea at Stamford bridge and we get slaughtered but the team plays cautiously at the emirates and gets a result. It has absolutely nothing to do with a DM it's just awful tactics. What difference would a dm of made to the goals conceded vs city, Liverpool? Fabregas could easily of played artetas/flaminis role to a much higher
Level. I don't see why he wouldn't fit a counter attacking plan as well he would excel releasing runners from deep on the counter

Explain to me why literally every top team in Europe plays with a DM then?

It's not so much a DM, but a player who can provide energy and running. May as well throw in the towel playing Ozil and Cazorla together in big games, throw in Cesc into the mix and we have a bigger **** up
Original post by Zürich
Explain to me why literally every top team in Europe plays with a DM then?

It's not so much a DM, but a player who can provide energy and running. May as well throw in the towel playing Ozil and Cazorla together in big games, throw in Cesc into the mix and we have a bigger **** up

Every big team don't play with a dm
Original post by 419
So you're telling me that Yaya and his 20 goals plays a deep role?

In 11-12 and 12-13 he played deeper than Silva and Nasri, yes. He didn't score 20 goals in those seasons, he scored 6.
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest