The Student Room Group

Will it ever be possible to have a united world?

Poll

Can humans be united and does a single person have the capacity to rule over them?

Right now we've got conflicts, poverty, famine, disease, etc...

Do you think it will ever be possible for humans to be united under a single banner, where all of these things are minimal?

Also, do you think a single person has the capacity to rule over man kind (as a benevolent dictator)? If not, then who would rule?

Damn, messed up the poll. It was supposed to be multiple choice. Only choose from the first two options please.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yeah I reckon I could do it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will it ever be possible for every person in the world to agree on every single issue?
No! Everyone's different, and we have different factions to accommodate for that.
Reply 4
I think so eventually - I don't think we will be going extinct any time soon so we'll have a long time to work it out. We're already seeing initiatives bringing nations closer together (most notably the EU) and I expect these will advance further over time. Nationalism and other egotistical ideologies, I expect, will be shunned as humanity grows wiser.
Reply 5
Original post by michaelhaych
Will it ever be possible for every person in the world to agree on every single issue?

They don't necessarily have to agree, that's impossible. They just have to live with it or find an alternative (as in not start killing the other person).
You can force people to 'act' united but people as a whole could never become united on their own. This is because something called Opinions ​exist.
Reply 7
Original post by L'Etudiant
You can force people to 'act' united but people as a whole could never become united on their own. This is because something called Opinions ​exist.

Ah, those cursed things!
Not in our lifetime. I'm going to single out conflict for a moment; Most of these aren't conflicts, but they have potential to cause trouble

North Korea v. South Korea - Still no armistice
Japan vs. South Korea vs. China
China vs. India
China vs. Vietnam
China vs. Philippines
Civil Unrest in Thailand
Japan vs. Russia - over a set of islands located to the north west of Japan
UK vs. Argentina - recently reignited by the Argentinian team holding a poster proclaiming the Falklands are theirs at the world cup
The West and Russia are in serious disagreement over Ukraine
ISIS vs. Iraq, Syria and Iran - U.S. are considering their options and are considering joining Iran, but don't think for a second that they are friends
UK vs. Spain - small though it may be, Gibraltar.
Unrest in Brazil
Nigerian school girl horror
India and Pakistan - things still flare up occasionally
The rise of fascism in Greece - Golden dawn
Right wing parties in the EU are going to cause some trouble.

There's probably loads more going on in Africa and the middle east and South America which I don't know about
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk
Not in our lifetime. I'm going to single out conflict for a moment; Most of these aren't conflicts, but they have potential to cause trouble

There's probably loads more going on in Africa and the middle east and South America which I don't know about

How long do you think it would take? If a single person were to do it, then how many generations of their family?
Reply 10
There will a global united-ness one day. However there will always be those apart from it or against it. They will be the terrorists on the future.
Reply 11
No.
Not while religion and various other ideologies exist

Posted from TSR Mobile
if we have outside threat, or anything close to a threat, such as unknown, real aliens out there, yes i think it is possible to an extent for the world to work relatively cooperatively
Of course it's not possible! And if you think otherwise, you're pretty stupid to be honest.
Reply 15
Of course it is, but a single government with world domination is not a requirement for a united world.
I want a united world, but not a single government.
Yes, when aliens attack humans will all have a common enemy to be united against rather than each other.

Quick Reply

Latest