Edexcel Unit 4D Global political issues 13/06/14

Scroll to see replies

Original post by firmfrank
Questions that might come up:

Assess the international response to 9/11
War on Terror is a new type of war. Discuss
There are few legitimate grounds for intervention. Discuss
Why is the North-South divide widening?
Why is international aid often ineffective?

Nuclear proliferation might come up. Human rights also

there can't be 45 mark questions on new wars only short ones although I think that could come up (or at least my teacher did)

I'm happy to answer questions on the environment in the exam eg reformist/radical but im staying away from development, too many figures and numbers to remember. I think aid seems pretty likely for an essay or short question
Original post by in_the_flowers
there can't be 45 mark questions on new wars only short ones although I think that could come up (or at least my teacher did)

I'm happy to answer questions on the environment in the exam eg reformist/radical but im staying away from development, too many figures and numbers to remember. I think aid seems pretty likely for an essay or short question

Hey I notice you've been really active in this thread, what do you think are the chances of a question on clash of civilisation thesis or orthodox vs alternative approaches to development coming up?

I know that a 45 marker on North/South came up last year, so should i bother revising structural adjustment programmes and stuff?

Really sorry if I'm stressing you out but I have no one to talk to about this
Reply 42
Could get something on free trade vs aid - could talk about SAPs being imposed as well as free trade
Original post by brilld
Could get something on free trade vs aid - could talk about SAPs being imposed as well as free trade

For free trade would that include economic liberalisation? Which would be the under the orthodox view of development?

I am probably totally wrong.
how did u guys find it? i think it was certainly a harder paper on wording

I did the ones on North-South, human rights and humanitarian intervention

for long one I chose economics question

hoping to get a B for this unit, so average will be A

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
What did people put for the 45 marker on globalisation/ poverty? And the humanitarian intervention one?
Reply 46
I thought the paper was good overall! Humanitarian intervention I put about obvious double standards, the fact that sometimes it's not in national interest, sometimes no media coverage and public pressure, sometimes not practical! Then I did North/South and thought the Nuclear one was great too.

I did the clash question which was a bit of a wing, but enjoyed it!
Original post by lpyoung
I thought the paper was good overall! Humanitarian intervention I put about obvious double standards, the fact that sometimes it's not in national interest, sometimes no media coverage and public pressure, sometimes not practical! Then I did North/South and thought the Nuclear one was great too.

I did the clash question which was a bit of a wing, but enjoyed it!

My main man
Reply 48
did anyone do the mitigation/adaption one?
Reply 49
I did that!!!!

I also did humanitarian and the nuclear proliferation

Then moved on to do the Clash of Civ 45marker which at first scared me so much because the wording was a bit off, but then I understood it thankgod!

How did everyone else find it? Harder than the first one but lets be honest, I don't think any exam can beat what we had for unit 3 I mean the China question was heavenly.
Reply 50
what did you put?? was the question getting at reform v radical because I didn't put that... I just talked about how mitigation tackles the cause / adaption is to reduce our vulnerability etc and short term / long term

dont think I did very well in this question haha..
I forgot what the north south question was and now I'm scared I read it wrong, remind me? I think I did awful, did the 45 on the environment but it was ughhh
Reply 52
I forgot what the north south question was and now I'm scared I read it wrong, remind me? I think I did awful, did the 45 on the environment but it was ughhh

What is the N-S divide, and is it still relevant?

I did environment 45m too! what did you put?
I honestly found unit3 easier

for the poverty question I put all the institutions of Washington consensus - IMF, WTO and World bank; them I put how each works, and how it helps to reduce poverty; for evaluation I put effectiveness of saps, western bias, orthodox view vs alternative view, protectionism and environmental issues that disadvantage all countries; so I concluded that it does not benefit all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e12345d
What is the N-S divide, and is it still relevant?

I did environment 45m too! what did you put?

I was a bit all over the place I didn't know what to put where because I could think of so much. I basically put the failure of Kyoto, the arguments about historical culpability, the successes of Kyoto eg clean development mechanism, some stuff about the debate between shallow/deep ecology might actually block progress instead, cope hangers failures and successes and then in my conclusion I was desperate to fit the tragedy of the comments. Gonna get 0/9 for coherence then oops

for the north south divide I didn't really argue what it was relevant, I just said what it was and then I gave 3 reasons why it wasn't relevant :/
Reply 55
I was a bit all over the place I didn't know what to put where because I could think of so much. I basically put the failure of Kyoto, the arguments about historical culpability, the successes of Kyoto eg clean development mechanism, some stuff about the debate between shallow/deep ecology might actually block progress instead, cope hangers failures and successes and then in my conclusion I was desperate to fit the tragedy of the comments. Gonna get 0/9 for coherence then oops

for the north south divide I didn't really argue what it was relevant, I just said what it was and then I gave 3 reasons why it wasn't relevant :/

Yeah so did I that's right because it isn't relevant anymore :smile:
Reply 56
To be honest mate I just talked about how climate change has caused a split in opinion as to how we should tackle it...mitigation or adaption

Went on to explain and give examples of each and that sort of thing.

Mitigation theorists believe we can reverse climate change and its our responsibility

Adaptation believe wr can't really do much so we should ensure our survival in the future.

Honestly I did rush the question a little but even if I did it again I wouldn't really have much else to add tbh
Took me a good 10 minutes to decide which 45 marker to answer. Did the poverty question in the end
Reply 58
For my questions..

Humanitarian intervention I put about obvious double standards, the fact that sometimes it's not in national interest, sometimes no media coverage and public pressure, sometimes not practical! I also spoke about how it's hard for US to challenge China when they have Guantanamo!

For the North/South divide one, I explained it all and spoke about Brandt bla bla bla, then I did out of date because of southern economic development, that it's overly simplistic, and about sub-Saharan Africa..

For Nuclear I did about getting into the hands of rogue states, terrorist organisations, the fact that the weapons are still useable and becoming more tactical (NUTS v MAD) and the balance of regional power and problems some owning nukes causes, and some general stuff.

For clash I kind of blogged it - spoke about Huntington and his definitions and obviously explained all the clash stuff, then had a debate with myself haha with examples demonstrating clash of culture and loads of stuff saying there wasn't.. also threw in criticisms of the theory overall, concluded very positively about how rather than heading for clash we are actually heading for tolerance, even with arise of UKIP and National Front bla bla bla..

Still nervous though!!!
Sooo much better than Monday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending