The Student Room Group

When are we going to drop the 'Great' from Great Britain?

Just wondering.

Scroll to see replies

I thought the "Great" in Great Britain was because it was the largest island of the British Isles. Not about how good it is.
So never, I would guess.
Reply 2
Never! Great britan is the name for the British mainland (Scotland, England, Wales) since it is the name of the island we will not drop it
Original post by ironandbeer
Just wondering.

I'm guessing when either England, Scotland or Wales leaves the UK.
If I'm not wrong, Great Britain refers to the big island on the right of the Irish sea, so it excludes Northern Ireland. If Scotland leaves UK for example, I don't think UK can call itself the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
Reply 4
Original post by beccagood95
I thought the "Great" in Great Britain was because it was the largest island of the British Isles. Not about how good it is.
So never, I would guess.

Unless Britain ceases to exist and is just England.
Probably never! For a nation with a very dubious and unethical past, we are oddly patriotic when it comes to preserving the British Empire :smile:
Original post by perflous
Probably never! For a nation with a very dubious and unethical past, we are oddly patriotic when it comes to preserving the British Empire :smile:

What empire?
Reply 7
Unless Britain ceases to exist and is just England.

Britain is a geographical term, not a state-based one. It will remain regardless of what the constituent parts do.
I'm not sure 'Alright Britain' has the same ring.
Original post by StrangeBanana
What empire?

The scattered remnants of the old 'glory days' that we still try to cling on to - old territories, traditions etc
Reply 10
The scattered remnants of the old 'glory days' that we still try to cling on to - old territories, traditions etc

Why do you do that?
Reply 11
Original post by StrangeBanana
What empire?

It arguably still exists in the Overseas Territories and the Commonwealth of Nations and Commonwealth Realm. Obviously it is not the same as a bunch of colonies and protectorates, but it is still there, just not much of an 'Empire' any more. Overseas Territories were renamed that after they were called 'Crown Colonies'.

Though 1997 is the most earmarked year for the end of the Empire with the handover of Hong Kong to China.
(edited 9 years ago)
Just wondering.

Since the great means 'Greater Britain', as in the bigger and more substantial Britain to say Brittany in France (A 'Britain') or the name for the largest of the British Isles (the 'mainland') then, how about never?
Why do you do that?

I didn't want to, believe me - I just couldn't think of the pronoun to use! The government? A significant proportion of the people who live in this country? People overseas who have (what seems to be an odd) obsession with British culture/history/traditions? What I meant was that I am a part of the collective 'we' who live in this country, although they seek to preserve this empire and I do not... there isn't really one specific group of people who aim to preserve British traditions, hence I used the more general 'we' instead of a more specific term.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply you (or indeed anyone else on here) belongs to the group of people I referenced.
(edited 9 years ago)
Fun fact but I believe with the 14 overseas territories (small islands), the sun still never sets on the British Empire.

http://what-if.xkcd.com/48/ Relevant xkcd

Luckily for the Empire, the eclipse happens at a time when the Sun is over the Cayman Islands in the Caribbean. Those areas won't see a total eclipse; the Sun will even still be shining in London.

In fact, no total eclipse for the next thousand years will pass over the Pitcairn Islands at the right time of day to end the streak. If the UK keeps its current territories and borders, it can stretch out the daylight for a long, long time.

But not forever. Eventually—many millennia in the future—an eclipse will come for the island, and the Sun will finally set on the British Empire.
(edited 9 years ago)
When we stop being great :u:

Original post by Beechey
It arguably still exists in the Overseas Territories and the Commonwealth of Nations and Commonwealth Realm. Obviously it is not the same as a bunch of colonies and protectorates, but it is still there, just not much of an 'Empire' any more. Overseas Territories were renamed that after they were called 'Crown Colonies'.

Though 1997 is the most earmarked year for the end of the Empire with the handover of Hong Kong to China.

The Overseas Territories are a collection of small, mostly self-governing islands, not an Empire. The Commonwealth are completely independent of Britain. "Arguably" is the right word.
Original post by cambio wechsel
I'm not sure 'Alright Britain' has the same ring.

Though it does have the potential to be a title for a morning chat show.
Original post by RainReader
Though it does have the potential to be a title for a morning chat show.

How about "wotcher cock"? I'd watch it. I'll watch anything mind.
Original post by cambio wechsel
How about "wotcher cock"? I'd watch it. I'll watch anything mind.

Ah, prsom :frown:

Definitely though, they could even have a weather vane as a logo, to unite the title and the weather forecast that is always a feature of these programs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending