The Student Room Group

Edexcel Unit 4D Global political issues 13/06/14

Anyone else doing this?

Scroll to see replies

I am! It's so bloody hard! Have you got any predictions - can't remember everything!
The predictions for 3D were spot on. I'm hoping someone has predictions for unit 4 ...
Reply 3
I am sitting this exam. I couldn't tell you whats gonna come up but in the previous years the majority focus of exam questions is on nuclear proliferation and the environment.
haven't got any firm predictions but I'm hoping for a 45 marker about humanitarian intervention (is it justified/relevant) or how effectively human rights are protected.

my teacher reckons there could be a 15 marker on new wars and a nuclear essay as well (terrorism was the essay last year)

maybe an essay about aid would be ok but it wouldn't be my first or second choice because I think there's so many figures to remember with the poverty topic
my teacher says its almost certain there will be one on humanitarian intervention (justified/is it abandoned project type thing) and not so much on if HR's are protected/about the courts.

Any ideas about what topic could be left out for 45 marker?
also is anyone just learning 3? I can't stand the environment topic
did anyone do the UK political issues paper? for unit 3?
Reply 7
Any predictions for 4d?
Reply 8
My teacher is not sure on 15 and 45 specifically, he said topics could come up in both but he predicted:
15 mark:
why is it difficult to stop nucl proliferation?
why has hum intervention been criticised?
in what ways are new wars different?
why are new wars difficult to win?

45 markers
have nuclear weapons helped to keep peace?
should states intervene for humanitarian reasons/ is hum intervention an sample of imperialism?
conflict-terrorism etc
why has the North south divide widened/ how can it be narrowed?

Hope this help
Reply 9
Original post by Mimy
My teacher is not sure on 15 and 45 specifically, he said topics could come up in both but he predicted:
15 mark:
why is it difficult to stop nucl proliferation?
why has hum intervention been criticised?
in what ways are new wars different?
why are new wars difficult to win?

45 markers
have nuclear weapons helped to keep peace?
should states intervene for humanitarian reasons/ is hum intervention an sample of imperialism?
conflict-terrorism etc
why has the North south divide widened/ how can it be narrowed?

Hope this help

also if anyone has answers to there's please share :smile:
What are new wars??
Reply 11
Refers to mary caldor's theory - unlike "old wars" where it was state vs state, sides were defined, uniformed armys obeying conventions etc e.g. WWII . New wars - non state actors, no clear sides, malicias - e.g. Syria, Iraq
Reply 12
I really would love the question "To what extent are human rights effectively protected in the modern world?|" to come up
Original post by granit2143
I really would love the question "To what extent are human rights effectively protected in the modern world?|" to come up

Do u mind sharing what the counter arguments would be for this question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by nurtasher333
Do u mind sharing what the counter arguments would be for this question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arguments for:

-International legislature like the UN declaration of Human Rights which was later on made legally binding

-NGO's such as Amnesty International using the CNN effect to their advantage in promoting Human Rights to the general public, who in turn put pressure on their governments to protect them.

-International Courts have taken a prominent role in chasing up war crimes for example in the former Yugoslavia.

Counterarguments:

-due to Westphalian peace, Sovereignty ultimately dictates international politics so states have the power to refuse to follow international agreements if they wish so

-strong countries like China and Russia's HR record is ignored because of the fear that the West will alienate them as they're too powerful. Double standards? powerful states dont need to respect Human Rights

-Ineffective pressure from the West, this could be because America for example abuses Human Rights in Guantanmo bay and so it would seem hypocritical to make other countries respect them.

Hope this helped, If you have any questions or want me to explain any of my points just say!:smile:
Arguments for:

-International legislature like the UN declaration of Human Rights which was later on made legally binding

-NGO's such as Amnesty International using the CNN effect to their advantage in promoting Human Rights to the general public, who in turn put pressure on their governments to protect them.

-International Courts have taken a prominent role in chasing up war crimes for example in the former Yugoslavia.

Counterarguments:

-due to Westphalian peace, Sovereignty ultimately dictates international politics so states have the power to refuse to follow international agreements if they wish so

-strong countries like China and Russia's HR record is ignored because of the fear that the West will alienate them as they're too powerful. Double standards? powerful states dont need to respect Human Rights

-Ineffective pressure from the West, this could be because America for example abuses Human Rights in Guantanmo bay and so it would seem hypocritical to make other countries respect them.

Hope this helped, If you have any questions or want me to explain any of my points just say!:smile:

Thanks this was so useful! One thing, what so u mean by china and Russia humans rights record ignored because of the fear west will alienate them as there too powerful? Didnt quite get that im probably just being dumb!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Thanks this was so useful! One thing, what so u mean by china and Russia humans rights record ignored because of the fear west will alienate them as there too powerful? Didnt quite get that im probably just being dumb!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Usually when a small country like Burma abuses human rights then the West openly put sanctions against them and condone the behaviour. However China and Russia also have a poor record for Human Rights, yet this is rarely mentioned with the same level because they want to trade with them and keep them friendly. This shows that Economics and Money come before human rights and their protections,
Usually when a small country like Burma abuses human rights then the West openly put sanctions against them and condone the behaviour. However China and Russia also have a poor record for Human Rights, yet this is rarely mentioned with the same level because they want to trade with them and keep them friendly. This shows that Economics and Money come before human rights and their protections,

ahhh I see! thank you!!!
Reply 18
ahhh I see! thank you!!!

NO worries mate
looking through past papers most years there is always a question or 2 on nuclear weapons however not last year so i would expect to see a question on that this year, in either section

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending