The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zürich
Always dubious about signing Brazilian players. The only sides that seem to get the proper players are from Portugal/Spain/Russia/Ukraine.

We just end up with Denilson :colonhash:

What an absolutely shocking player Denilson was btw

If Cleverly had a brazilian passport...
Original post by jam278
Tbf Fab does have a good goalscoring record at Barca and he usually has a great half season. Reckon he suffers from burnout so that's why we need to use the youth buy another midfielder as a squad player at Chelsea.

AKB man, he probably has peaked, reckon he'll get more love at Chelsea if he starts scoring goals.

Cazorla is reliable to do the business against the likes of Spurs and Hull true.

Alot of people would say that Fabregas is the kind of player who needs the team to be focused on him, some would even argue that he makes those around him worse rather than better.

Wonder if Mourinho will give him the status in the team that Wenger did, and Barca didnt...
Original post by jam278
Yeah, one actually turns up while the other one is anonymous majority of the time.

Still think Fabregas is not good enough to base a whole system round if you're trying to challenge for trophies though. Can see why Barca didn't make him the main man in midfield. Hopefully he's not a fish outta water but I see him getting on with Mourinho if Chelsea do well. But since I don't see us winning the title looks like Fab will be complaining in private to his Madrid compatriots about his bad loan stint next season.

What do you think his FIFA rating will be. I reckon it would have gone down if he went to Arsenal, reckon it'll be around 84 and Costa at 85 but if he went to Arsenal would be at 83.

:colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Alot of people would say that Fabregas is the kind of player who needs the team to be focused on him, some would even argue that he makes those around him worse rather than better.

Wonder if Mourinho will give him the status in the team that Wenger did, and Barca didnt...

I reckon he'll give him that status. Mourinho did that with Sneijder e.g.

Mourinho gives Hazard that status. Fabregas to me has never been good enough to be the fulcrum of the team for a side challenging for top trophies but he's a good semi cog.

am i that obvious.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

Mourinho gives Hazard that status. Fabregas to me has never been good enough to be the fulcrum of the team for a side challenging for top trophies but he's a good semi cog.

****ing hell mate, really trying to throw in as many subtle digs as you can atm! :rolleyes:

Will laugh so much if Fabregas doesnt work out or ends up on the bench :laugh:
Original post by Zürich
****ing hell mate, really trying to throw in as many subtle digs as you can atm! :rolleyes:

Jam is a **** so personally hope that happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278

am i that obvious.

The way you blasting Fab like he's any player wow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What is this vitriol aimed towards me?

Original post by Zürich

Hopefully we can get Tiago on a free, he was a pretty good player for us and can pass the ball very well. Least we can rotate between him and fabregas.

But anyway this is the Arsenal thread. Why the hell is your team so boring when it comes to the transfer window?

I'm not even trying to par here. Like at least with United last year you could laugh at their transfers and their incompetence and you know that one of City or Chelsea are just going to overpay for somebody or make a big signing but you guys are just boring.
Original post by jam278

But anyway this is the Arsenal thread. Why the hell is your team so boring when it comes to the transfer window?

I'm not even trying to par here. Like at least with United last year you could laugh at their transfers and their incompetence and you know that one of City or Chelsea are just going to overpay for somebody or make a big signing but you guys are just boring.

Wenger actively hates signing ready made players, doesnt do it for him. Also not a risk taker so will agonise over the valuation of a player for weeks and weeks. Higuain/Suarez prime examples.

2006-2012 that strategy was perfectly aligned with the fact we were boracic lint but now it's just a hindrance to progress

The next manager is on course for a feeding frenzy by the looks of it, £150m potentially ready to roll on day 1 of the job. :laugh:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Wenger actively hates signing ready made players, doesnt do it for him. Also not a risk taker so will agonise over the valuation of a player for weeks and weeks. Higuain/Suarez prime examples.

2006-2012 that strategy was perfectly aligned with the fact we were boracic lint but now it's just a hindrance to progress

lol
Original post by jam278
What is this vitriol aimed towards me?

Hopefully we can get Tiago on a free, he was a pretty good player for us and can pass the ball very well. Least we can rotate between him and fabregas.

I wish we were boringly efficient like Chelsea, but instead we're boringly inactive...
Wenger wants to watch players at the World Cup. Puma deal does not activate until July 1st. We have always been very low risk in the transfer market in recent years. Although if Gazidis' Q&A is anything to go by, we are already in "deep negotiations" with several players.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Didnt want him back now that Ozil is here, said that all last week on here too. Would have bitten Bara's hand off 12 months ago however.

Not saying he's not a quality player, but it's fair to say his last season at Arsenal was injury plagued and not up to his previous standard while his last 3 years have been an unqualified failure.

You said last week ud swap ozil for fabregas in a heartbeat
Original post by jam278

am i that obvious.

Fabregas at his peak was better than hazard is now though
Original post by Peggles_*
We've been linked with Rodrigo Caio a DM, who plays for São Paulo. Don't know too much about him, but some reports he's the 'next big thing' :rolleyes:

Original post by Zürich
Always dubious about signing Brazilian players. The only sides that seem to get the proper players are from Portugal/Spain/Russia/Ukraine.

We just end up with Denilson :colonhash:

What an absolutely shocking player Denilson was btw

Rodrigo Caio actually is a decent player, he breaks up attacking play very well and distributes the ball well, which is what we need. He's also versatile and can play at CB which would be a plus for us in our current situation. He won the player of tournament award at the 2014 toulon tournament.

The thing with signing players direct from Brazil is that the style of play is so different, it's always a risk. If the player is decent/promising but not truly outstanding, you always have a risk that they can't cope with the physicality, pressing and lack of time/space in England.
Original post by baconbutty

I would have yeah, but there was a huge amount of sentimentality attached to that rather than a judgement on their relative quality as such...

and of course you cant have both
Original post by Zürich
I would have yeah, but there was a huge amount of sentimentality attached to that rather than a judgement on their relative quality as such...

and of course you cant have both

Fabregas had a better season than ozil maybe ozils already peaked
Fabregas at his peak was better than hazard is now though

I disagree. Hazard offers more than Fabregas, Hazard can control a game, offers an injection in pace, his link up play is very good and he can create and score goals by himself. It's not his fault that there is little to no creativity in the rest of the team's due to the tactics. Fabregas can do most of that but Hazards close control and acceleration is probably what makes him the better player. If Hazard was playing for Madrid he'd be better than Bale tbh. Ronaldo would love him.

Nice to see his consistency.
Original post by Peggles_*
Jam is a **** so personally hope that happens!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Repped. Nice to see you guys treating your ex arsenal legends with respect again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam278

Nice to see his consistency.

Where's the inconsistency?

In a hypothetical swap I would have been up for it. Didnt want to sign Fabregas with Ozil already here however.

Wouldnt swap now though since Cesc turned out to be a chav

Fabregas had a better season than ozil maybe ozils already peaked

Debatable really, cant say I watched Barca enough to have a proper opinion but Barca certainly told him to GTFO in the most ruthless way possible even after losing Thiago.

Was Ozil's first season in a new league with a system that was far from ideal. Should do much better in 2014/15. Even then Ozil had a solid season imo, was immaculate vs Napoli and Everton off the top of my head and a few minor league games where he was brilliant early doors.

Players almost always improve under Wenger and Ozil is 24 so watch this space. :smile:

Original post by jam278
Repped. Nice to see you guys treating your ex arsenal legends with respect again.

''Respect the name on the front of the shirt, and they'll remember the name on the back'' Tony Adams

But vermin like RVP, Cesc etc can forget they ever played for Arsenal
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest