The Student Room Group

Is the central nervous system the same as nervous system??

Because in my cgp book it says the nervous system is made of neurons but the CNS is made of a brain and spinal cord??
Reply 1
Original post by Tcool
Because in my cgp book it says the nervous system is made of neurons but the CNS is made of a brain and spinal cord??

Nervous system: central nervous system + peripheral nervous system.

The central nervous system is the brain and spinal cord.
The peripheral nervous system comprises the nerves that leave the brainstem (cranial nerves) and spinal cord.
Reply 2
Original post by Kinkerz
Nervous system: central nervous system + peripheral nervous system.

The central nervous system is the brain and spinal cord.
The peripheral nervous system comprises the nerves that leave the brainstem (cranial nerves) and spinal cord.

Im sorry I don't understand I only do GCSE and am rubbish at science...please could you explain in simpler terms? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Tcool
Im sorry I don't understand I only do GCSE and am rubbish at science...please could you explain in simpler terms? :smile:

The nervous system as a whole is made up of two components: the central nervous system (this means the brain and spinal cord) and the peripheral nervous system (this means the nerves that go from the spinal cord to the rest of the body).

Maybe an image would help:

Ignore the words on the picture, they'll just confuse you. Everything in yellow is the central nervous system and everything in green is the peripheral nervous system. Together they make up the nervous system of the body.
Reply 4
Original post by Kinkerz
The nervous system as a whole is made up of two components: the central nervous system (this means the brain and spinal cord) and the peripheral nervous system (this means the nerves that go from the spinal cord to the rest of the body).

Maybe an image would help:

Ignore the words on the picture, they'll just confuse you. Everything in yellow is the central nervous system and everything in green is the peripheral nervous system. Together they make up the nervous system of the body.

so are they the same thing? Thanx for your help and effort btw
Reply 5
Original post by Tcool
so are they the same thing? Thanx for your help and effort btw

They're not the same thing as such. The central nervous system is just one part of the nervous system.

The nervous system means every nerve in the body.

The central nervous system means only those nerves in the brain and spinal cord.

The peripheral nervous system means only those nerves outside the brain and spinal cord.

Together the central and peripheral nerves make up the nervous system.

Reply 6
Original post by AlphaNick
Long story short, the CNS is primarily the brain and spinal cord - the nervous system includes the neurones which essentially travel from all receptors which are found across the whole body.

Ok so the nervous system goes through the CNS?
Reply 7
Original post by Kinkerz
They're not the same thing as such. The central nervous system is just one part of the nervous system.

The nervous system means every nerve in the body.

The central nervous system means only those nerves in the brain and spinal cord.

The peripheral nervous system means only those nerves outside the brain and spinal cord.

Together the central and peripheral nerves make up the nervous system.

Tanx :smile:
Original post by Tcool
Ok so the nervous system goes through the CNS?

The CNS is a subset of the whole nervous system.

Quick Reply

Latest