The Student Room Group

Religious Studies Ocr Virtue Ethics

How do you distinguish between intellectual virtue and moral virtue? because they both require practice
Original post by SamsonYosef
How do you distinguish between intellectual virtue and moral virtue? because they both require practice

An intellectual virtue is taught, and is associated with professions (e.g. hand-eye co-ordination for a surgeon).
A moral virtue is acquired by practice/getting into the habit of exhibiting it. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
thanks! have you also got any predictions for this exam?
Original post by mrandmr.crane

An intellectual virtue is taught, and is associated with professions (e.g. hand-eye co-ordination for a surgeon).
A moral virtue is acquired by practice/getting into the habit of exhibiting it. :smile:

Where did you get that information?
thanks! have you also got any predictions for this exam?

Not really, haha!
I'm so nervous about doing well in this exam (since I feel like I bombed Philosophy!) so I'm just going to focus on everything XD I know some people who are going along with Peter Baron's predictions.
I do hope Conscience comes up though. How about you? :biggrin:
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Where did you get that information?

That's just how I was taught it
Is it wrong???

This site's really helpful too
http://www.rsrevision.com/Alevel/ethics/virtue_ethics/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mrandmr.crane
That's just how I was taught it
Is it wrong???

No no. It's right enough. It just seemed a little off because I've studied the book in a bit more depth and I forgot a few things. (weird...) My fault!

OP here's a better explanation -

"Moral Virtues
The good life involves developing a good character. Moral virtues are cultivated by habit....
Intellectual virtues are qualities of mind developed through instruction. They are:
practical skill, knowledge, common sense, intuition, wisdom; resourcefulness, understanding, judgement, cleverness " (RS Revision)

Original post by chickenonsteroids
No no. It's right enough. It just seemed a little off because I've studied the book in a bit more depth and I forgot a few things. (weird...) My fault!

Ohhh haha XD
Reply 8
Personally, i feel like meta ethics and free will and determinism are the hardest, and virtue ethics and sexual ethics are my strengths..and i dont think theres any predictions for ethics A2 ocr r.s on that site
Ohhh
I didn't realise how much content there is for Free Will and Determinism until recently ><
My teacher has said to focus on conscience, maybe look at it in relation to free will, apply virtue ethics to different sexual/environmental and business ethics...I guess that pretty much means focus on everything, haha

Suddenly the exam seems close!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest