The Student Room Group

Mc q help!

1402830409996.jpg
1402830423696.jpg

Why am I wrong in these questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
3. Gravity is the weakest fundamental force.

7. It's artificial, not natural background radiation. Bit of a strange question though TBH.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3

So only NAtural background radiation is counted ! Thanks!

May I ask one more question?

When using standard candle , the distance calculated is actually the distance of the standard candle . But how can I use this distance to estimate distance of other stars?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Arithmeticae
3. Gravity is the weakest fundamental force.

Then why are protons locked in nucleus then? Wouldn't they all come out due to repulsion? Or is it due to the strong nuclear force thingy?

Thanks
Original post by krisshP
Then why are protons locked in nucleus then? Wouldn't they all come out due to repulsion? Or is it due to the strong nuclear force thingy?

Thanks

Yeah, exactly. At a certain distance, the repulsive force is overcome by the strong nuclear force (that's why it's the STRONG force, it's much stronger than the other forces :tongue:) but it only takes effect at extremely short distances.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lamalam
1402830409996.jpg
1402830423696.jpg

Why am I wrong in these questions?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Microwave ovens are sources of background radiation, even if it is artificial. The wording of the question is very poor.
Checking on Wikipedia, it seems to also say that artificial items (in particular, consumer items) can still be sources of background radiation T_T.
Checking on Wikipedia, it seems to also say that artificial items (in particular, consumer items) can still be sources of background radiation T_T.

Yeah, I suppose there are different definitions of what constitutes background radiation. You can see what the question is getting at with the possible answers, but it's somewhat ambiguous. :frown:
Reply 9
Yeah, exactly. At a certain distance, the repulsive force is overcome by the strong nuclear force (that's why it's the STRONG force, it's much stronger than the other forces :tongue:) but it only takes effect at extremely short distances.

Ok, makes sense.

Thanks
Krishna
Original post by Lamalam
When using standard candle , the distance calculated is actually the distance of the standard candle . But how can I use this distance to estimate distance of other stars?

We get the distance to NEIGHBOUR stars which are close to the standard candle.
Original post by krisshP
We get the distance to NEIGHBOUR stars which are close to the standard candle.

Don't astronomers compare flux reached here on earth from the observed star, compare it to standard candle to determine luminosity of the observed star. Then apply inverse square law to get D???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jaydude
Don't astronomers compare flux reached here on earth from the observed star, compare it to standard candle to determine luminosity of the observed star. Then apply inverse square law to get D???

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know, you seem right though:tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest