The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ToLiveInADream
Okay people. What would be your points for a 6-marker on DNA technology for genetic testing? I need help with putting them into concise points while still clear and understandable...

Bbc bitesize explains it quite well, i just summarised what they said and got it down to about one side of A4
I think the main thing would be to make sure you use all the key words: isolation, replicate, centrifuge, gene probe, use of UV light
Reply 1801
These would be my answers for a B7 6 marker on genetic modification/testing

Genetic modification:

The desirable gene that makes the required protein is isolated from the DNA
The gene is then replicated and many copies are made of that gene
A vector (e.g plasmid, virus) is a carrier used to insert the new gene into cells
Successfully modified individual cells are chosen, as not all cells will be successfully modified

Genetic testing:

A blood sample is taken (e.g from the arm) for testing
DNA is isolated from the white blood cells
A gene probe is made by a strand of complimentary bases labelled with a fluorescent marker
The gene probe is mixed in DNA to find the faulty gene, if it's present then the gene probe (complimentary bases) will lock together
A UV light is shined on the gene probe to find the faulty gene, if it's there then it'll glow and tell you where it's located
(edited 9 years ago)
Can someone explain the genetic probe DNA test thing in note form as simply as possible? D:
Original post by Amyjonesx
Bbc bitesize explains it quite well, i just summarised what they said and got it down to about one side of A4
I think the main thing would be to make sure you use all the key words: isolation, replicate, centrifuge, gene probe, use of UV light

Centrifuge? :confused:
Original post by Sulfur
These would be my answers for a B7 6 marker on genetic modification/testing

Genetic modification:

The desirable gene that makes the required protein is isolated from the DNA
The gene is then replicated and many copies are made of that gene
A vector (e.g plasmid, virus) is a carrier used to insert the new gene into cells
Successfully modified individual cells are chosen, as not all cells will be successfully modified

Genetic testing:

A blood sample is taken (e.g from the arm) for testing
DNA is isolated from the white blood cells
A gene probe is made by a strand of complimentary bases labelled with a fluorescent marker
The gene probe is mixed in DNA to find the faulty gene, if it's present then the gene probe (complimentary bases) will lock together
A UV light is shined on the gene probe to find the faulty gene, if it's there then it'll glow and tell you where it's located

Great, thanks!
Hmm..does anyone know WHY the sample has to be isolated from the white blood samples? My CGP book is quite confusing because it says ''it's quick and easy to take a blood sample, that contains lots of white bloog cells'' but don't we want to take out the white blood cells? Ah..confused.
Reply 1806
Original post by Pandorax
Can someone explain the genetic probe DNA test thing in note form as simply as possible? D:

The gene probes are used in genetic testing to find a faulty allele. This is the process:

You take a blood sample from the person, from their arm is the most common method.
Your blood contains white blood cells and DNA, so you want to separate your DNA from the white blood cells.
Then, you want to create a gene probe. Gene probes are a strand of complimentary bases (A, T, C, G) that sticks to the faulty gene. You add a fluorescent marker to it too.
Then, you mix the gene probe with DNA so the complimentary bases stick to your DNA (AT, CG) and if there's a base that doesn't match, you'll find the faulty gene.
To make sure that you've found the faulty gene, you shine a UV light onto the gene probe that the fluorescent marker finds, if it glows then you'll find the faulty gene and know where it's located.
Original post by lyricalvibe
Centrifuge? :confused:

This is where the blood sample is spun rapidly to separate the white blood cells from the red blood cells
Hmm..does anyone know WHY the sample has to be isolated from the white blood samples? My CGP book is quite confusing because it says ''it's quick and easy to take a blood sample, that contains lots of white bloog cells'' but don't we want to take out the white blood cells? Ah..confused.

The white blood cells are removed when the blood is removed. They use them because they contain a nucleus with DNA (unlike red blood cells). What is it specifically that is confusing you?
Reply 1809

I think that white blood cells are chosen because out of everything in the blood, they contain a nucleus so they have genetic information (chromosomes and genes in there). So you'd want to separate the DNA so you're just working with the genes.
Reply 1810
Original post by olmyster911
The white blood cells are removed when the blood is removed. They use them because they contain a nucleus with DNA (unlike red blood cells). What is it specifically that is confusing you?

Damn you posting a minute before me. :tongue:
Original post by Sulfur
Damn you posting a minute before me. :tongue:

Gotta be quicker :wink:
How are you people doing last minute revision for B7? I'm really feeling not confident :frown:
"Describe how microorganisms are used in industry, give examples and explain them"
what are the points we would make for this question? I dont know if im misinterpreting it
"Describe how microorganisms are used in industry, give examples and explain them"
what are the points we would make for this question? I dont know if im misinterpreting it

Sorry I worded that question horribly, I meant to say "Describe WHY microorganisms are used in industry, give examples of how they are used and explain why they are used for that".
So basically:

1.) They reproduce rapidly under the right conditions so products can be made quickly. They have plasmids - these can be genetically modified so you can make the microorganism produce the product you need. Their biochemistry is quite simple - fewer reactions happen in microorganisms than in humans, this means you can make the microorganism produce things that they normally wouldn't without causing them major problems. They can make complex molecules that are difficult to produce artificially. There aren't any ethical concerns with using microorganisms - you could grow loads of them and throw them in a bin without upsetting anyone.
2.) They are used for antibiotics by growing penicillium mould in a fermenter. Also A single-celled protein made by fungi used to make meat substitutes for vegetarian meals. (Quorn).
Also for enzymes for making food, like cheese can be made by a microorganism that is genetically modified to create chymosin (important enzyme in rennet) to produce a vegetarian substitute for cheese. ('Cause rennet usually comes from the lining of a calf's stomach).
Enzymes for washing powders, enzymes produced by bacteria can be used in washing powders because they break down stains like amylase enzymes remove carbs stains (e.g. jam).
Biofuels - microorganisms can be used to make fuel, like yeast can be used to produce ethanol by the waste produce of anaerobic respiration which can be used for car fuel known as 'gasohol'. And microorganisms can be used to produce biogas which is used for heating, cooking and lighting. Its made by the fermentation of plant and animal waste containing carbs.
Reply 1815
Original post by Sulfur
Off topic once again, but in the C456 the first question was about two similarities with the reaction of alkali metals and water... I put that they produced an alkaline solution and hydrogen gas, that's fine right? My minds just had one of them moments where it's brought a question back into my head and I'm doubting.

I said that they are both very reactive in cold water and that they produce a hydroxide of the metal and hydrogen :smile:
(( It's in the spec ))
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by HappyHylian
Sorry I worded that question horribly, I meant to say "Describe WHY microorganisms are used in industry, give examples of how they are used and explain why they are used for that".
So basically:

1.) They reproduce rapidly under the right conditions so products can be made quickly. They have plasmids - these can be genetically modified so you can make the microorganism produce the product you need. Their biochemistry is quite simple - fewer reactions happen in microorganisms than in humans, this means you can make the microorganism produce things that they normally wouldn't without causing them major problems. They can make complex molecules that are difficult to produce artificially. There aren't any ethical concerns with using microorganisms - you could grow loads of them and throw them in a bin without upsetting anyone.
2.) They are used for antibiotics by growing penicillium mould in a fermenter. Also A single-celled protein made by fungi used to make meat substitutes for vegetarian meals. (Quorn).
Also for enzymes for making food, like cheese can be made by a microorganism that is genetically modified to create chymosin (important enzyme in rennet) to produce a vegetarian substitute for cheese. ('Cause rennet usually comes from the lining of a calf's stomach).
Enzymes for washing powders, enzymes produced by bacteria can be used in washing powders because they break down stains like amylase enzymes remove carbs stains (e.g. jam).
Biofuels - microorganisms can be used to make fuel, like yeast can be used to produce ethanol by the waste produce of anaerobic respiration which can be used for car fuel known as 'gasohol'. And microorganisms can be used to produce biogas which is used for heating, cooking and lighting. Its made by the fermentation of plant and animal waste containing carbs.

Wow thankyou so much! That is extremely helpful! Thankyou thankyou thankyou :smile:
Wow thankyou so much! That is extremely helpful! Thankyou thankyou thankyou :smile:

Y'welcome ^^
Original post by Sulfur
The gene probes are used in genetic testing to find a faulty allele. This is the process:

You take a blood sample from the person, from their arm is the most common method.
Your blood contains white blood cells and DNA, so you want to separate your DNA from the white blood cells.
Then, you want to create a gene probe. Gene probes are a strand of complimentary bases (A, T, C, G) that sticks to the faulty gene. You add a fluorescent marker to it too.
Then, you mix the gene probe with DNA so the complimentary bases stick to your DNA (AT, CG) and if there's a base that doesn't match, you'll find the faulty gene.
To make sure that you've found the faulty gene, you shine a UV light onto the gene probe that the fluorescent marker finds, if it glows then you'll find the faulty gene and know where it's located.

Ooh thanks so much! My text book didn't really explain it very well O.-
So it's pretty much just:
1) Genetic testing-Finding a faulty allele
2) The DNA is isolated from a white blood cell and nucleus
3) A gene probe is created and the DNA is broken down into smaller pieces
4) Gene probes act as markers as they stick to the wanted gene within the DNA
5) UV light can then be shined onto the DNA, and the marker will show because it is flourescent

Also, do you know what is the difference between the cardiac cycle and the double circulatory one?(The one with oxygenated, deoxygenated blood) And what type of question would they ask you for each one? Thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending