The Student Room Group

GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pandorax
Can someone explain the genetic probe DNA test thing in note form as simply as possible? D:

Okay so genetic disorders derive from a faulty gene.

1. Take a DNA sample
2. Isolate the DNA from the white blood cells since a blood sample will contain a lot of white blood cells as well as DNA.
3. Create a Gene Probe that has complementary bases to the DNA you are trying to find.
4. Mix the gene probe with the DNA, and if the specific gene is present, the probe will latch on to it and stick to it.

In order to be able to physically see if the gene probe has latched onto it, scientists attach a fluorescent marker on to the gene probe when creating it. This means that if it latches on, scientists can tell by shining UV light on it and the marker will fluoresce.
Explain what ' oxygen debt' is?:confused:
Anyone got a link for the June past paper,can only find the specimen one? Thanks
Original post by corporal
Explain what ' oxygen debt' is?:confused:

I only know this from PE, it's not in my Biology revision guide. But it is when you exercise anaerobically and you get a lactic acid build up, oxygen debt is the amount of oxygen that you need to neutralise the acid and to 'pay back' to your muscles. But I'm sure this isn't in B7 is it?? :confused:
Original post by katiemckkk
I only know this from PE, it's not in my Biology revision guide. But it is when you exercise anaerobically and you get a lactic acid build up, oxygen debt is the amount of oxygen that you need to neutralise the acid and to 'pay back' to your muscles. But I'm sure this isn't in B7 is it?? :confused:

It's a past paper question
People, You know for our exam will we get an insert like previous years?
Original post by corporal
It's a past paper question

Don't forget that if it's from before 2013 it's almost irrelevant because the spec has significantly changed - the only relevant past papers are from 2013 and the specimen. Before the change respiration used to be a big part of b7 (I have those past papers too) but now respiration is in b4 and not in b7 at all.
Anyone got a link for the June past paper,can only find the specimen one? Thanks

A163-02Jun13.pdf
A163-02_MS_June13.pdf
I think I've put the link in right :smile: one is the paper and the other is the mark scheme
Original post by LouiseDB42
A163-02Jun13.pdf
A163-02_MS_June13.pdf
I think I've put the link in right :smile: one is the paper and the other is the mark scheme

the link doesn't work.

I think page 79 someone put it up :smile:
Ecosystems are the most boring things to revise in the whole of the GCSEs..:mad:

It's taken me 3 hours to do one page in the revision guide.
Original post by olmyster911
Ecosystems are the most boring things to revise in the whole of the GCSEs..:mad:

But so easy, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This. It took me the whole of yesterday to learn that ****, and I didn't even finish it :lol: it took me less time for c4-6 -_-
Original post by ToLiveInADream
But so easy, no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not easy because it's just so boring xD
Original post by Amyjonesx
This is where the blood sample is spun rapidly to separate the white blood cells from the red blood cells

Ah, thanks, it's just not in my textbook but the more the merrier for those 6 markers :smile:
Original post by lyricalvibe
This. It took me the whole of yesterday to learn that ****, and I didn't even finish it :lol: it took me less time for c4-6 -_-

It's so bad :'(
Hello, I'm just wondering how the paper is set out? Is it like a standard paper with 3 6-markers and the other questions? I'm screwed for this exam, we never finished the course in school haha.
Original post by bankruptline
I am because I did Biology last year in Year 10 (:

Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's so bad :'(

I kinda just went through it and gave up :lol: I'm just gonna learn everything else we'll, if that comes up I'll just give up on the spot, I really really don't want to go over it again.

How much you done then?
Original post by lyricalvibe
I kinda just went through it and gave up :lol: I'm just gonna learn everything else we'll, if that comes up I'll just give up on the spot, I really really don't want to go over it again.

How much you done then?

I'VE FINISHED IT WOO :biggrin:

You?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending