The Student Room Group

Is there something wrong with me?

OK, this is about my height. I'm 16, and I'm a 5'3 male. You read that right. 5'3. Every single day I feel insecure because about 90% of the students in my year are taller than me. I know you're going to say that short people have bad insecurity, but when you're sitting at 5'3, there comes a point where they virtually cannot feel secure about their height. And the fact males need to be taller than girls to be more socially acceptable.

I wouldn't mind as much if I was 5'6. But 5'3 feels like a joke now.

I have grown 3cm since Year 7. My father is 5'6 and my mother is 5'0. My parents are from Bangladesh, so I can see why I'm short. Again, not 5'3 though.

Are there any chances of me growing at least 5cm in the next couple of years?

Scroll to see replies

I think it's just genetics.
Btw, I'm 5ft 3 and Bangladeshi. :wink: But I'm a girl, so it's Ok.
LOL, try being 5'11 and female.
You stop growing at 21, I do believe. So you have plenty of time to grow.
Reply 4
Original post by BarBaBaBaBarBaBaBa

There's a girl in my year who's 6'1 for crying out loud...you are actually pretty tall though.

We should swap heights :tongue:
Original post by HeskeyLAD
There's a girl in my year who's 6'1 for crying out loud...you are actually pretty tall though.

We should swap heights :tongue:

I'd do anything to swap heights.. ANYTHING

Although now that I'm 19 I have to say I'm a lot less insecure about my height :biggrin:
Reply 6
I'd do anything to swap heights.. ANYTHING

Although now that I'm 19 I have to say I'm a lot less insecure about my height :biggrin:

Does that mean I will feel less insecure in the future?

5'3 for a male sucks big time. I have no idea how it would feel to be 5'11 a female, but judging by your comments, they seem similar...
Your height is not that big of a deal as you think.You have a few more years to grow though so don't worry
Reply 8
Men grow until they are 21, but that is really short. Girls don't tend to want to go out with a shorter guy either, but the average height for a girl in the UK is 5 ft 3 as well so you will still find someone.

Go to the Doctor's if you're really worried, but I don't think it's much of a problem.
(edited 9 years ago)
Does that mean I will feel less insecure in the future?

5'3 for a male sucks big time. I have no idea how it would feel to be 5'11 a female, but judging by your comments, they seem similar...

Well, I'm less insecure now because I used to be taller than all the guys and girls back in school... however now everybody seems to have caught up (at least the guys have) and I don't seem to feel as much of a giant anymore :biggrin:

But yeah, the answer to your question is yes. Generally people grow in confidence as they get older. Your realise that caring what other people think about you is utterly useless and you just don't really give a **** anymore

I can imagine, but at least for men you can make up your short height (which is not a problem for many girls by the way, including me) with your personality. For a young girl, her value almost entirely depends on her appearance :mad:
Reply 10
Original post by i'mlaura
Men grow until they are 21, but that is really short.

ikr all my friends are 5'10+
Reply 11
You probably haven't had your growth spurt yet if all you've grown is 3cm since 11. Men don't really stop all the puberty ****/growing until they're 21, so there's still time.

But judging by your parent's heights, there's a chance you'll stay short.
Hahaha it's definitely genetics :lol:

Another Bengali girl here who's 5"1 - It sucks :frown:
Anecdotally, I know of a few guys that were really short at 16 but up to average height by 18. You're never going to be tall but there's still hope!
Reply 14
Original post by Tai Ga
You probably haven't had your growth spurt yet if all you've grown is 3cm since 11. Men don't really stop all the puberty ****/growing until they're 21, so there's still time.

But judging by your parent's heights, there's a chance you'll stay short.

Honestly when I was 12 I was 158cm. Now I'm 161cm at 16 ffs.

As long as I grow at least 3 inches I'll be much happier about it than I am now. But if I don't... :frown:
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Hahaha it's definitely genetics :lol:

Another Bengali girl here who's 5"1 - It sucks :frown:

Love Merlin. Anyway, don't mind being 5ft 3 actually. I'm taller than my mum so it's all cool.
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
Love Merlin. Anyway, don't mind being 5ft 3 actually. I'm taller than my mum so it's all cool.

If I wear heels/boots I'm taller than my dad :rofl:
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
If I wear heels/boots I'm taller than my dad :rofl:

Lol, prefer flats.

aha that's me!
OK, this is about my height. I'm 16, and I'm a 5'3 male. You read that right. 5'3. Every single day I feel insecure because about 90% of the students in my year are taller than me. I know you're going to say that short people have bad insecurity, but when you're sitting at 5'3, there comes a point where they virtually cannot feel secure about their height. And the fact males need to be taller than girls to be more socially acceptable.

I wouldn't mind as much if I was 5'6. But 5'3 feels like a joke now.

I have grown 3cm since Year 7. My father is 5'6 and my mother is 5'0. My parents are from Bangladesh, so I can see why I'm short. Again, not 5'3 though.

Are there any chances of me growing at least 5cm in the next couple of years?

Height's what you do with it man. I'm pretty tiny, about 5'4/5'5, and I'm dwarfed by about 70% of my year. I'm certainly the shortest, or second shortest. The thing is, you've got to not let it get you down. Sure, you're short, but if you come across as funny, likeable, whatever, people won't give a sh!t. Turn it into an advantage. I have a girlfriend who's about 5'6, and she likes wearing heels so often she goes nearer 6', and it's about how you handle yourself. If you look like you're confident, people will think you are and not bat an eyelid. If you look nervous and unhappy with your body, people will pick up on that instead.

That said, you are 16 and you could have a growth spurt in the next few years. It's happened to some people I know, although it didn't happen to me (I'm 18 now and fairly sure my growth is done).

Quick Reply

Latest