The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by baconbutty
He isn't a luxury player

Signing Cesc wouldn't solve anything if we don't sign an RB, Striker, true CDM and possibly a LW

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
#Cesc: "Arsenal was first option but Wenger said he had Ozil at my position. I had 2-3 other options in England, #Mourinho won me over"

It can't just be me that finds it worrying that we don't go for world class players cos we already have one in a similar position.

We could've rotated Özil and Cesc with other players. Instead we'll be rotating Diaby and Rosicky.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just going to pretend that Aaron Ramsey Santo Cazorla and Jack Wilshere are in the squad then eh?
Original post by AR_95
Signing Cesc wouldn't solve anything if we don't sign an RB, Striker, true CDM and possibly a LW

Posted from TSR Mobile

Arsenal don't need a dm and signing him wouldn't affect st, rb......
Chelsea didn't especially need an attacking mid. They need a striker or two, maybe a CB, full back. But they got Cesc cos they want world class players. They want quality throughout the squad. They want to win the league and more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Arsenal don't need a dm and signing him wouldn't affect st, rb......

It would in the fact that if we spunk 30m on Cesc then were less likely to spend as much on a striker knowing Arsenal

We need some one with more defensive responsibilities to replace Arteta. Cesc would be great for attacking but we have Ramsey for that so we'd need the other CM to hold back

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zürich
Just going to pretend that Aaron Ramsey Santo Cazorla and Jack Wilshere are in the squad then eh?

Cazorla mainly used out wide now. Wilshere always injured and Ramsey will be nearly always playing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Webster2002
Chelsea didn't especially need an attacking mid. They need a striker or two, maybe a CB, full back. But they got Cesc cos they want world class players. They want quality throughout the squad. They want to win the league and more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They actually did need Cesc. They lacked much creativity going forward and Matic is much more of a defensive player. Arguably they have the best back four in the league so why do they need a new CB? They've also sorted their striker problem.

Chelsea are an oil club too and could buy anyone they wanted without financial consequences if the player fails

Surely you don't think Arsenal are in the same position?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
It would in the fact that if we spunk 30m on Cesc then were less likely to spend as much on a striker knowing Arsenal

We need some one with more defensive responsibilities to replace Arteta. Cesc would be great for attacking but we have Ramsey for that so we'd need the other CM to hold back

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cesc can play dlp

In no way would he impact st or rb the club have 160m in the bank ffs
Fabregas wouldn't fail.

They just sold Luiz and loaned out that Kalas so doesn't seem they have much defensive cover.

They have Willian, Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Salah, etc.

We both 'didn't need' Fabregas. They just have more ambition.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cesc can play dlp

In no way would he impact st or rb the club have 160m in the bank ffs

Well you know Arsenal aren't going to break the bank this window so the 160m is irrelevant

Whether it's the right way to spend is another question however

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Well you know Arsenal aren't going to break the bank this window so the 160m is irrelevant

Whether it's the right way to spend is another question however

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's only irrelevant when fans keep making excuses for that idiot of a manager we have that has no ambition
is that my man jooroo yakno
It's only irrelevant when fans keep making excuses for that idiot of a manager we have that has no ambition

I wouldn't say he has no ambition I'd just say he's stubborn. Too stubborn at times

Guy has good morals but won't turn on them for success. I guess it does hinder our chances of winning but let this window pan out first before coming to conclusions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
I wouldn't say he has no ambition I'd just say he's stubborn. Too stubborn at times

Guy has good morals but won't turn on them for success. I guess it does hinder our chances of winning but let this window pan out first before coming to conclusions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stubborn/idiot/deluded

Take your pick of any of them every window still has the same outcome
Honestly I people who say we shouldn't have brought Cesc back because it would hinder the development of Wilshere and Ramsey have no clue.

Both players have hinted leaving us in the last 12 months. If Real Madrid or Barca came in for either of them they'd force a move just like Cesc. People have already started Idolising both as if they're going to stay forever. If Cesc came he would have stayed at Arsenal until retired.
Original post by sevchenko
Honestly I people who say we shouldn't have brought Cesc back because it would hinder the development of Wilshere and Ramsey have no clue.

Both players have hinted leaving us in the last 12 months. If Real Madrid or Barca came in for either of them they'd force a move just like Cesc. People have already started Idolising both as if they're going to stay forever. If Cesc came he would have stayed at Arsenal until retired.

I'm actually speechless....

This has changed my view on things almost

Only way this wouldn't pan out is if we actually win the league so a lot of pressure on Wenger next season

Posted from TSR Mobile

Totally agree. I didnt think players like Rvp or Sagna would leave us but they did. Unless we start winning things on a consistent basis then even these british players wont be sticking around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Q. Do you understand that Cesc has gone to Chelsea? You forgive him?

"How can you stop the progress of a player?

"Obviously, in an ideal world, as an Arsenal fan, I would have loved him to come back to Arsenal, all fans think that but if someone knocks your door, you have to look for future, and as there wasn't a chance of him returning, the deal was made"

Q: It will be tough for him to play at the Emirates, right?

"I think gooners will understand him"

"If he couldn't return to Arsenal... what is he supposed to do? He can't stop going to PL because he played in our Arsenal. In fact he hasn't left the Arsenal to go directly to Chelsea. That would have been worse. He's a blue player now and I expect all Arsenal fans not to boo him when he plays at the Emirates. He doesn't deserve it, for sure"

Source: http://www.marca.com/2014/06/15/futbol/mundial/1402842715.html

Obviously Henry is sympathetic to Cesc because he basically did the same thing. He snaked Arsenal for his own personal ambition. He abandoned the club when times were staring to get really hard because of Wenger's future were uncertain. I'm sorry Henry Arsenal FC is more than Wenger.

Bergkamp is a true legend

(edited 9 years ago)
Q. Do you understand that Cesc has gone to Chelsea? You forgive him?

"How can you stop the progress of a player?

"Obviously, in an ideal world, as an Arsenal fan, I would have loved him to come back to Arsenal, all fans think that but if someone knocks your door, you have to look for future, and as there wasn't a chance of him returning, the deal was made"

Q: It will be tough for him to play at the Emirates, right?

"I think gooners will understand him"

"If he couldn't return to Arsenal... what is he supposed to do? He can't stop going to PL because he played in our Arsenal. In fact he hasn't left the Arsenal to go directly to Chelsea. That would have been worse. He's a blue player now and I expect all Arsenal fans not to boo him when he plays at the Emirates. He doesn't deserve it, for sure"

Source: http://www.marca.com/2014/06/15/futbol/mundial/1402842715.html

Obviously Henry is sympathetic to Cesc because he basically did the same thing. He snaked Arsenal for his own personal ambition. He abandoned the club when times were staring to get really hard because of Wenger's future were uncertain. I'm sorry Henry Arsenal FC is more than Wenger.

Bergkamp is a true legend

Well he signed a contract in 2006 when Barca/Real were both snapping at the door, Wenger explained to him how important it was to keep Henry for the first year at the Emirates for the club image. 2006-07 he spent playing with a bunch of kids essentially, he was at a very different stage in his career to be involved in that kind of project. So you cant begrudge him a move to Barcelona, a player of his ability needed to play for the best club in the world ultimately. It's not comparable to joining Chelsea or Utd at all.

Chelsea also came in with a mega offer for Henry in 2004 apparently that would have seen his salary go through the roof but he never considered it, and I dont believe he would have ever played for another English club.

As much as I love Bergkamp, I suspect he would be more likely to jump ship for Utd in RVP's situation if it came to the crunch more than Henry. I dont think either would it if came to the crunch though.

Vieira would however, no question. He was somewhat of a snake by all accounts, always listening for offers from Real, Juve etc even after title winning seasons.
(edited 9 years ago)
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger echoed Dein's words when he told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme that he would reject any approach for Henry.

"When you have the money but not the players it does not help you a lot," said Wenger.

"The target is not to have a bank full of money but good players on the pitch.

"People will never understand if you sell your best players. That would be the wrong signal to send."

How times have changed

Latest