The Student Room Group

Can you swear in exams?

Serious question!

I don't mean randomly throwing in obscenities in the middle of a 12 mark history question.

What I mean is, I'm doing the AQA Certificate iGCSE English Language. For Paper 1, one of the questions you can choose to do is write a story.
As a young writer in my own time, this is my favourite part. An hour to write a story with a prompt! Perfect!

However, I'm unsure as to whether or not I can swear. Occasionally is seems appropriate for a character to exclaim "S**t!", or to describe a character as a b*tch, etc. (Of course, if I were to swear it would only be in moderation.)

Will I get penalised for swearing? Will it be ignored? Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That is an interesting question - but to be on the safe side I suggest you avoid that ...
Maybe once or twice but I would say it's best to avoid it just in case although you'd probably be fine with Bitch :smile:
Original post by BEARichards

Will I get penalised for swearing? Will it be ignored? Help!

We analysed a character's use of '****' in Eng Lit and were told we could write about it in the exam :shrug: As long as it's all in context and not just for the sake of swearing it should be fine!
(edited 9 years ago)
We haven't been told anything about this but I can imagine our teachers' reaction would be a very firm 'no'. I would just try to find more eloquent words to express strong feelings.
Reply 5
a lot of books on the syllabus contain moderate swearing, so it'd be unfair for them to expect you to study novels containing language that you're not allowed to use
My friend swore in a lot of his English coursework pieces and received full marks in them, so as long as it's not just thrown in there for the sake of it, I can't see it being an issue :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you would be able to. Some of the texts we studied for English had lots of swearing in, and we were expected to read them out loud to the class. I hardly think an adult examiner will be horrified by a swearword in a story. If it adds to the story and makes it better, then i'd go for it. A lot of texts studied have adult content, sexual references etc so I don't see why swearing would be a problem. If anything, it would be ignored, I don't think examiners would mark down for it at all :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by coopertroopa03
We analysed a character's use of '****' in Eng Lit and were told we could write about it in the exam :shrug: As long as it's all in context and not just for the sake of swearing it should be fine!

Did you read Atonement by any chance? :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Ndella
Did you read Atonement by any chance? :tongue:

No (sorry!), it was Oleanna :tongue:
My friend quoted Country Joe in one of our GCSE History exams a few years ago: "There about a hundred thousand of you ****ers out there..." or something...Don't remember what the point she was making was but she got an A on the paper so :yy:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
If used correctly you certainly wouldn't lose marks, no.

I know lots of people who swore in their controlled assessments and got top marks.
It's not like you're going to be penalised for it.

However, don't swear too much and make sure you only use it when necessary, as it might seem odd otherwise.

If there's a point that can be made better by swearing, why not, I suppose?
Saying that, if there's an alternative word you could use, you might be better to use that, ahah...
if it was used in the correct context then "street" language should be condoned. if your story was about drug dealers on your estate then it would be surprising if they did not use non-standard English.
Reply 13
I think so, BUT. There is the 'X' mark, this is given when examiners find hateful or controversial work produced by a Student.
Original post by AlphaNick
I don't see why it should affect your mark, but I would avoid doing it multiple times... The only risks you're going to take by consistently swearing is either: annoying the examiner, losing marks for having a slightly less diverse lexis.

No danger of you having a less diverse lexis I guess:colone:
Reply 15
It shouldn't be a problem, if you're being sensible and don't go overboard with the swearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it gets to the point where it seems like you're using swear words just for the sake of swearing, then that would be the point to step away from swearing.

However, if you feel that having a character swear would make their speech more affective- e.g. by saying '****' they convey an emotion that would otherwise require the use of a clause, then go for it.
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't think so. I used swearing quite a lot in my coursework and I did well.
Thanks guys!

If I were to swear in my exam, I'd make sure not to over do it. And I wouldn't swear too much, it's just that sometimes it feels entirely appropriate to throw something in. I reckon if a character was angry they'd be more likely to call someone an "inconsiderate b**tard" rather than an "inconsiderate plebeian" XD
I used bitch in one of my GCSE English papers and got an A*.

Quick Reply

Latest