The Student Room Group

Does this German response make sense?

This is for my German homework (GCSE German)

Hallo,

Es tut mit leid, ich kann nicht zu Konzert mit dir gehen, weil meine Eltern das nicht erlauben. Letzte Woche brach mein Bruder meinen Fernsehen, also hat ich seinen Hausaufgaben gerissen. Zum Schluss kann ich nicht zu Konzert oder Kino gehen! Unehrlich! Aber, nächste Woche werde ich zu Eiscafé gehen. Möchtest du mitkommen?

Bis Bald!
Original post by kittykatieboo

Hallo,

Es tut mit leid, ich kann nicht zu Konzert mit dir gehen, weil meine Eltern das nicht erlauben. Letzte Woche brach mein Bruder meinen Fernsehen, also hat ich seinen Hausaufgaben gerissen. Zum Schluss kann ich nicht zu Konzert oder Kino gehen! Unehrlich! Aber, nächste Woche werde ich zu Eiscafé gehen. Möchtest du mitkommen?

Bis Bald!

It does make sense for sure - it is really good. I would even say it is written without any mistakes (I can´t find any), but I am not 100% sure. :smile:
Original post by Madla Spadla
It does make sense for sure - it is really good. I would even say it is written without any mistakes (I can´t find any), but I am not 100% sure. :smile:

I have realized, your first sentence should be: Es tut MIR leid. :smile: (I didn´t see it before)
I have realized, your first sentence should be: Es tut MIR leid. :smile: (I didn´t see it before)

aw thanks! German isn't my strongest subject (realised this after getting A's in all my subjects in my year 10 mocks except from German which was a B haha) so it's great to hear that! Woops! Stupid mistake, I really did know that, I promise! I wrote it right on my homework but not here, idk why haha, thanks for spotting it! :smile:

Could you check my German homework in the future please?
aw thanks! German isn't my strongest subject (realised this after getting A's in all my subjects in my year 10 mocks except from German which was a B haha) so it's great to hear that! Woops! Stupid mistake, I really did know that, I promise! I wrote it right on my homework but not here, idk why haha, thanks for spotting it! :smile:

Could you check my German homework in the future please?

You are welcome. I trust you :smile:. When are you doing you GCSE? Next year?
Sure, I can help you with German - you can write me a private message, just I would like to say that I am not doing German in school as my IGCSE. I am doing it beyond school, so sometimes it can happen that I will not know something. (different books and different order of their topics, but same level). :smile:

Also, make a correction of this sentence: Letzte Woche BRACHTE mein Bruder meinen Fernsehen. Did you mean write it in a simple past tense, didn´t you?
(edited 9 years ago)
You are welcome. I trust you :smile:. When are you doing you GCSE? Next year?
Sure, I can help you with German - you can write me a private message, just I would like to say that I am not doing German in school as my IGCSE. I am doing it beyond school, so sometimes it can happen that I will not know something. (different books and different order of their topics, but same level). :smile:

Yes, my GCSE's are next year. I've already done a speaking exam (got an A) and writing exam (C - stupidly didn't check my work, it was done at the beginning of the year too) for our coursework and then reading and listening exam is next year. Okay, I don't know that much German anyway haha! Feel free to message me any German because it will be a good reading exercise for me and it'll help me improve my reading skills and I'll learn more vocab (despite doing different topics). I find French much easier (writing - A, speaking A*) :smile:
Yes, my GCSE's are next year. I've already done a speaking exam (got an A) and writing exam (C - stupidly didn't check my work, it was done at the beginning of the year too) for our coursework and then reading and listening exam is next year. Okay, I don't know that much German anyway haha! Feel free to message me any German because it will be a good reading exercise for me and it'll help me improve my reading skills and I'll learn more vocab (despite doing different topics). I find French much easier (writing - A, speaking A*) :smile:

I find Spanish and French much easier too, even though they are considered as the harder ones.
I am doing IGCSE Spanish. :smile:

Hallo,

Bis Bald!

Hi Kittie, you've got some grammatical errors in your work that make it difficult to understand what you want to say; my changes/edits in red ...

Hallo,

es tut mir leid, aber ich kann nicht mit dir auf das zu Konzert mit dir gehen, weil meine Eltern das nicht erlauben.

[the first line starts with lower case because of the comma after the greeting. The last part of the sentence '... weil meine Eltern das nicht erlauben.' isn't wrong but sounds like it's a general thing and not a one-off occurence '... weil meine Eltern es mir verboten haben.' would fit better here.]

Letzte Woche brach machte mein Bruder meinen Fernseher ['Fernseher'] kaputt, also habe ich ['ich habe, er/sie/es hat'] seinen Hausaufgaben zerrissen [if you meant 'tore apart'?].

Zum Schluss kann ich nicht zu Konzert oder Kino gehen! [I don't know what you want to say here, as in 'In the end, I couldn't go to a/the concert or the cinema'? Was it because your parents didn't allow it? Then you'd say 'Am Ende durfte ich weder aufs Konzert noch ins Kino gehen!' 'weder ... noch' = 'neither ... nor'. However, this would indicate that going to the concert has already happened which hasn't, so this version is probably better: 'Deshalb darf ich nun weder aufs Konzert noch ins Kino gehen.' ('deshalb' = for that reason, therefore)]

Unehrlich! [Huh? This means dishonest. What are you trying to say. Perhaps express anger towards the punishment? In the sense of 'this isn't fair'? If you want to be colloquial or near-slang since it's a letter to a friend, you could say 'Echt gemein!' The full sentence is 'Das ist echt gemein!' (That's so mean!) but you omit the first two words.]

Aber, [no comma] nächste Woche werde ich zu ins Eiscafé gehen. Möchtest du mitkommen?

Bis bald!
(edited 9 years ago)

I'm afraid your assessment is quite incorrect! I hope you're not a teacher of German? :confused:
Reply 9
I will use the only German words that I know in order to respond to your question.

Kristallnacht- Lebensborn...Lebensraum, NEIN NEIN NEIN! GUTEN TAG!
Original post by teutonnica
I'm afraid your assessment is quite incorrect! I hope you're not a teacher of German? :confused:

If you read it carefully, you would know that I am doing German beyond school not Igcse and that I am not 100% sure. Moreover,I have corrected some mistakes. I know that my German is not perfect, just you should know that I did what I could.
And please, stop being sarcastic....
If you read it carefully, you would know that I am doing German beyond school not Igcse and that I am not 100% sure. Moreover,I have corrected some mistakes. I know that my German is not perfect, just you should know that I did what I could.
And please, stop being sarcastic....

Apologies if I came across as sarcastic, it was late and I was tired so perhaps not in full control of my wording. No hard feelings, eh.

tbh, I hadn't seen the other correction but see it now and have to tell you that 'brachte' is the simple past of 'bringen' which, depending on context can mean 'to bring' ('Er brachte mir Blumen' - he brought me flowers) or 'to take sthg. to sb.'.

You're probably thinking of the simple past of '(zer)brechen' which is '(zer)brach'. (I'm putting the prefix 'zer-' here because 'brechen' can also mean 'to puke'). Frankly, I had hard time finding a better alternative for saying 'my brother broke my TV'. 'Mein Bruder brach den Fernseher' is definitely not good German, '... zerbrach den Fernseher' better but still not great because it's usually glass or cups, 'die in 1000 Teile zerbrechen'. Tough! Why don't I know this? Perhaps I've never experienced anybody breaking a TV in Germany?!
Original post by teutonnica
Apologies if I came across as sarcastic, it was late and I was tired so perhaps not in full control of my wording. No hard feelings, eh.

tbh, I hadn't seen the other correction but see it now and have to tell you that 'brachte' is the simple past of 'bringen' which, depending on context can mean 'to bring' ('Er brachte mir Blumen' - he brought me flowers) or 'to take sthg. to sb.'.

You're probably thinking of the simple past of '(zer)brechen' which is '(zer)brach'. (I'm putting the prefix 'zer-' here because 'brechen' can also mean 'to puke'). Frankly, I had hard time finding a better alternative for saying 'my brother broke my TV'. 'Mein Bruder brach den Fernseher' is definitely not good German, '... zerbrach den Fernseher' better but still not great because it's usually glass or cups, 'die in 1000 Teile zerbrechen'. Tough! Why don't I know this? Perhaps I've never experienced anybody breaking a TV in Germany?!

Yeah, I get it. No hard feelings :smile:
How long have you been learning German?
Yeah, I get it. No hard feelings :smile:
How long have you been learning German?

Well, how shall I put it ... um, it's my first language, so, I guess I was learning it as long as I was living there :wink: I can confirm though, even native speakers can get rusty, so keep practising!

Sorry, what do you mean by 'doing German beyond IGCSE', like in A-Level or self-study?

There's a website that's been indispensible for me in terms of vocab and grammar; I'm sure you'll find it useful! It's called LEO, an online dictionary with extended functions. If you enter a word (either English or German, doesn't matter), e.g. 'break' in the search bar and scroll to the translations for verbs, left from the German word is an icon that opens a window with all the verb conjugations! Even I have to check sometimes when I'm not sure about some obscure Konjunktiv II tense lol.

But hey, if you ever need any help let me know! :smile:
Um guys, I'm grateful for your help but unfortunately I did not see this until now and I've already handed my work in for it to be marked where my German teacher can hopefully help me. Thanks for making corrections on my work though
Original post by Parallex
I will use the only German words that I know in order to respond to your question.

Kristallnacht- Lebensborn...Lebensraum, NEIN NEIN NEIN! GUTEN TAG!

I do GCSE history and I've recently just got an A* on my German Depth Study year 10 mock so I know what those words mean and I would rather you didn't repeat them without actual need to reference them. Germany are extremely apologetic for what the Nazi's did.
(edited 9 years ago)
I do GCSE history and I've recently just got an A* on my German Depth Study year 10 mock so I know what those words mean and I would rather you didn't repeat them without actual need to reference them.

errrrrmmmmmm
chill out
Original post by Parallex
errrrrmmmmmm
chill out

i'm not getting heated over the subject, there's just no need to imply that Germans are horrible and mass murderers
i'm not getting heated over the subject, there's just no need to imply that Germans are horrible and mass murderers

What?
I do GCSE history and I've recently just got an A* on my German Depth Study year 10 mock so I know what those words mean and I would rather you didn't repeat them without actual need to reference them. Germany are extremely apologetic for what the Nazi's did.

Congrats on the amazing grade for your history project! You should look into 1970s left-wing terrorism, the "Rote Armee Fraktion" which was basically a militant protest to keeping formerly powerful Nazis in equally powerful positions in West Germany. Have you seen the movie 'The Baader Meinhof Complex'? Totally recommendable.

As for the comments by someone else here, I choose to ignore this kind of yesteryear rubbish. Plus: DON'T FEED THE TROLLS. Unless you're 80 and fought in the war, it's kind of sad when one's whole knowledge of Germany is stuck in that period.

Quick Reply

Latest