The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by POWCATTY
i only met people from private schools when i came to uni. tbh theres not much of a difference, but the few i know arent really that clued up about money issues. yeah they know that some people dont have a lot of money, but they dont really understand the implications of that. ie my friends enjoy frequently going out for afternoon tea, which, at seven quid a pop is not something that i can afford! yet theyve not made an effort to change and do something more affordable, so ive just had to stop going :frown: also they arent very good at shopping on a budget, which is actually sometimes funny as my housemate bought 13 dishwasher tablets for £6, when i had got 24 for £3 (we have a house shoppin list but accidentally chose the same thing lol). they also have no idea what sort of a person a chav is, and just use it for anyone who looks a bit 'dodgy' to them! so yeah, id say from my limited experience, they are a bit naive about some things, but as long as they recognise that its not a problem! (but i bet they say the same thing about state-school people!)
it does become a problem with things like heating and housing budgets though. my housemate (same one) as obviously never had to worry about heating bills, and so has an electric fan on constantly in is room, and using up a hell of a lot of electricity. i havent gathered enough courage to tell him to turn it off, as its my fault he got it in the first place!! i told him not to put the heating on for like 4 hours when its only october, so that was his response. i guess he tried, bless him!

That's interesting! :lol:

Yeah, I have met a few of the ones who will be my future classmates, and they seem pretty nice. I could see how maybe sometimes a private school pupil could put their foot in something like that when house-sharing. As long as he's nice then I suppose you can suffer the heating issues :wink:
Original post by POWCATTY
hahahaha! ok so your just one of those people who has no real argument or contribution and so decides to attack your opponents by being gramatically superior and atempting to put them down! nice. tactics of the old 'school yard bully' aka a coward :wink:

A wise man never argues with a fool.
Reply 82
Original post by AspiringMedic8
That's interesting! :lol:

Yeah, I have met a few of the ones who will be my future classmates, and they seem pretty nice. I could see how maybe sometimes a private school pupil could put their foot in something like that when house-sharing. As long as he's nice then I suppose you can suffer the heating issues :wink:

haha yeah he does give us a few giggles sometimes!
Reply 83
Original post by Old_Simon

ahh dude! youre killing me!!
Reply 84
Original post by Old_Simon

this isnt an arguement so its not really applicable. sorry mate! also its a tad arrogant to consider yourself wise. just to give you a heads up, i probably wouldnt say that to too many people irl! wont do you any favours :nah:
Many have expressed an overall naivety to students at private schools, especially when it comes to sex, but I've also heard that there is a good amount of promiscuity as well. Can anyone tell me their experience with this?
And how horrible does gossip get? I can't imagine going to an all-girls school, I think that the gossip and social hierarchies would be unbearable.
Reply 86
Original post by paradoxicalme
1.) Sexuality: Trust me, dude, you'll probably have a better time there. Homophobia and biphobia tend to be less bad at private schools than state schools from my experience (I'm bisexual). The stereotype that everyone at private schools is gay is untrue, but founded on true principles. Because the intelligence of people is higher on average, they're less likely to be homophobic. The only biphobia I've experienced has been from people outside my school, in the nearby state (obviously, most people at state schools aren't homophobic, but it's more rife there).

I go to a state school and back when I was at secondary school (at sixth form now) in year eight/nine, I used to be a homophobe (and I'm really not proud of that, or in fact, most of the views that I held then) and I was, quite rightly, ostracised because of it. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here but, perhaps it's not as rife as you might think and tends to be, in my experience, limited to rather unpleasant individuals (such as my younger self *shudder*).
Original post by Red one
I go to a private school and I have to say we don't hold a very high opinion of state school kids who are generally animals/chavs etc. Don't get me wrong some state schools are decent but on the whole the people there are just unpleasant.

What an arse
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What an arse

Well done for plucking up the courage to call out Red one...oh wait, she's banned :wink:
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Well done for plucking up the courage to call out Red one...oh wait, she's banned :wink:

Maybe I like insulting people who can't answer back?

What do you expect from a state school kid anyway? :confused:
Possibly we need to differentiate between day pupils and boarders who have done the full sentence of three years at prep school and five years at public school. That is a changing experience or obviously people wouldn't do it. Hopefully a common feature of those types of people is good manners, and one feature of that tends to be a lack of intrusive and personal questioning. Thus if someone lives in a council house no one will ask them directly and they have no need to mention it. "Home" in general is often treated as an obscure and somewhat irrelevant hinterland. Conversely people tend to be modest because in that kind of environment boasting is always trumped. It is quite possible to be mates with a guy for five years without him ever mentioning that his father is a High Court Judge for example. He will quite likely describe him - if someone has the poor manners to ask - as "a lawyer". My best mate at school arrived every term in a huge Rolls Royce with chauffeur because his parents cba to drop him off. When he went home he and the chauffeur stopped for a pub lunch every time. Apart from these foibles though he was refreshingly normal, a wonderful companion, and completely untouched by luxury or privilege at least outwardly. Needless to say he was also a genius.
Original post by Comus
I go to a state school and back when I was at secondary school (at sixth form now) in year eight/nine, I used to be a homophobe (and I'm really not proud of that, or in fact, most of the views that I held then) and I was, quite rightly, ostracised because of it. I'm not really sure what I'm trying to say here but, perhaps it's not as rife as you might think and tends to be, in my experience, limited to rather unpleasant individuals (such as my younger self *shudder*).

Homophobia is extremely common in state schools, it's pretty much the norm from what I've experienced, especially in Years 8/9. Basically everyone acts all suspicious and speculative of who might be gay, it's pathetic. I'm not having a go at you as I believe people can change and I believe you have, I've also done things I'm embarrassed about which will haunt me for the rest of my life. I'm just surprised you were osctracised.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 92
Original post by JamesTheCool
Homophobia is extremely common in state schools, it's pretty much the norm from what I've experienced, especially in Years 8/9. Basically everyone acts all suspicious and speculative of who might be gay, it's pathetic. I'm surprised you were osctracised.

I suppose it depends on which state school you go to, I'm not sure whether the overall amount of homophobia differs between state and private schools - is there any data on this?
Original post by Comus
I suppose it depends on which state school you go to, I'm not sure whether the overall amount of homophobia differs between state and private schools - is there any data on this?

I went to a very white-trash comprehensive in a small middle-class town in South England where I was constantly picked on for being gay, even though I'm not. The people who did it got away with murder and are probably still homophobic tossers..

EDIT: I think homophobia is more common in villages and small towns where people are generally more backwards.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 94
Original post by JamesTheCool
I was constantly picked on for being gay, even though I'm not. The people who did it got away with murder and are probably still homophobic tossers.

That's horrible, I'm sorry to hear that.
Reply 95
Original post by Eboracum
Thank you for reading my post and taking the time to comment. Yes, state school was really difficult for me, it nearly ruined my life and took a lot of coming back from, so sometimes I do struggle not to be jealous of others that attended these institutions. Nonetheless, I wouldn't close them and would consider sending my children to one in the future.

Here, Here sorry you were bullied, and it quite sensible to avoid your children having similar experience, when it comes to your children education you cannot hinge their fate to sink schools.
Reply 96
I've been to both (but state for only 4 years), I'd say top end private school kids are definitely more 'sophisticated' than at state school, who know/care less about that sort of thing, and far more 'cultured'. They (we) go see lots of plays etc. They're also a lot less down to earth, because they live ultra sheltered lifestyles, very few kids, especially girls (just an observation) at my school have ever been on a bus. (Other public transport yeah, but there's something about buses). It means that a lot of private school kids, again, particularly those at top end schools, have really distorted perspectives on life. My friend switched from a vw polo to a mini because the vw was 'too masculine'. (Yes, these things make us shake our heads, but they're not a shock at my school). I've seen a lot here about insults and homophobia, but actually I'd say if it's a coed private school like mine, it's not a big problem at all. And just briefly, girls get it really good compared to state schools. In this aspect private schools are far, far superior than state schools in terms of bullying etc. All boys schools are different, the state one i went to was typical in homophobia, rugby lad culture and distinct social hierarchies. But then, all boys private schools are far, far worse - nowhere near to violence, but the culture is seriously messed up. Thankfully I had an easy ride but yeah...any questions about it just ask...
Original post by Chlorophile
The one thing that stands out to me whenever I meet people from private school is their confidence. I attended an award ceremony once where a large majority were privately educated and I was completely surprised when random people approached me, asking to shake my hand and asking me my name and stuff.

Do you think thats a good attribute of theirs
Why the hell have we dredged up this thread from yonks ago
People who go to private schools are generally better socially, academically, professionally, and otherwise.

Latest

Trending

Trending