The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

And most of what he bought was a pile of **** deadwood
Original post by baconbutty
Maybe not set us back 5 years maybe just 2 or 3 we had a team almost ready to challenge completely destroyed. Let's be honest wenger knew Cesc and nasri were leaving and he didn't buy anyone until 31st august that's a complete joke.

Yes he should have bought Mata when he had the chance, and yes he should have dealt with the departures better. But he managed to keep Cesc the previous summer from Barca and maybe felt he could do it again.

Arteta was v.good that season in all honesty. Mertesacker has turned out great. Fine Santos, Gervinho, Park were dross but we're talking about £10m done here once we sold them on.

If there's one thing you must say about Wenger is that he does build teams well, the Nasri/Cesc/RVP side was assembled quitely without spending anything and now you can see a team with Ramsey/Ozil/Walcott/Koscielny taking shape too. Dont think anyone could deny that we're 3 players away from competing so lets see what happens. We always improve with a settled squad and last season we got 79 points :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Yes he should have bought Mata when he had the chance, and yes he should have dealt with the departures better. But he managed to keep Cesc the previous summer from Barca and maybe felt he could do it again.

Arteta was v.good that season in all honesty. Mertesacker has turned out great. Fine Santos, Gervinho, Park were dross but we're talking about £10m done here once we sold them on.

5 years is probably quite accurate tbf on second thought. He let a team he'd spent a few years building be dismantled. A team that was only a few players away from being complete. Now we're basically at the same stage again where we need a few players and we're probably 2 years away from competing for the league/champions league consistently again. That is if he actually decides to sign players or if he ****s about again
5 years is probably quite accurate tbf on second thought. He let a team he'd spent a few years building be dismantled. A team that was only a few players away from being complete. Now we're basically at the same stage again where we need a few players and we're probably 2 years away from competing for the league/champions league consistently again. That is if he actually decides to sign players or if he ****s about again

Youve said it yourself, Wenger builds teams up. We're midway through another cycle with no departures on the horizon.

Wenger often sees things that us mugs do not. Who saw Aaron Ramsey developing like he has or Koscielny turning into such a top defender? So I think we'll improve again next season and will be closer to the title, even if we wont win it.
Let's be honest we've had some horrible dross playing for us the last few years but also a few guys bought on the cheap who came good. Koscielny and merte are prime examples. The party line seems to be only buying 'top quality' now so hopefully the embarrassment brought to the club by the likes of gervinho and santos can be forgotten.
Original post by Pete_91
8-2?

If we play reserves then yeah...

13 Szczesny
06 Koscielny
20 Djourou
25 Jenkinson
30 Traore
07 Rosicky
14 Walcott (Lansbury - 83' )
16 Ramsey
23 Arshavin Booked
39 Coquelin (Oxlade-Chamberlain - 62' )
10 Van Persie (Chamakh - 83' )

Substitutes

21 Fabianski
49 Miquel
15 Oxlade-Chamberlain
46 Lansbury
53 Ozyakup
29 Chamakh
54 Sunu

How Wenger thought it would be ok to start the season with that squad i'll never know.
Original post by jam278
Pete there's a simple way to respond to this.

He said he's predicting ahead. Ahead could be 1millisecond or 1 billion years.

Fair enough, but in that case it's lazy analysis.

SUG, as interesting as it is to hear your analysis and commentary on other posters I don't see how I've gotten any worse cause I've not posted much since the WC started.
Original post by Zürich
Youve said it yourself, Wenger builds teams up. We're midway through another cycle with no departures on the horizon.

Wenger often sees things that us mugs do not. Who saw Aaron Ramsey developing like he has or Koscielny turning into such a top defender? So I think we'll improve again next season and will be closer to the title, even if we wont win it.

Ramsey could easily depart he's spoken about barca/madrid

Mert/koscielny don't have long left
Original post by sr90
13 Szczesny
06 Koscielny
20 Djourou
25 Jenkinson
30 Traore
07 Rosicky
14 Walcott (Lansbury - 83' )
16 Ramsey
23 Arshavin Booked
39 Coquelin (Oxlade-Chamberlain - 62' )
10 Van Persie (Chamakh - 83' )

Substitutes

21 Fabianski
49 Miquel
15 Oxlade-Chamberlain
46 Lansbury
53 Ozyakup
29 Chamakh
54 Sunu

How Wenger thought it would be ok to start the season with that squad i'll never know.

I'm not even going to bother attempting to answer that, Johnnie Cochrane couldn't defend that mess.
Original post by Zürich
Who saw Aaron Ramsey developing like he has or Koscielny turning into such a top defender?
Not to toot my own horn, but I called both those when they were getting taken apart. Perhaps not Ramsey to the extent he came on this season, but in general I thought he'd come good, I'd have like him at United.
Original post by Fizzel
Not to toot my own horn, but I called both those when they were getting taken apart. Perhaps not Ramsey to the extent he came on this season, but in general I thought he'd come good, I'd have like him at United.

Honestly saw Ramsey play about 40 times live before this season and never saw much that genuinely excited me, used to think those who rated him were just seeing things they wanted to because of his injury and him being a nice Welsh boy. :colondollar:

Fergie must have seen it as well, was raging in his autobiography that Ramsey chose Arsenal :laugh:

Koscielny I could tell there was a player there, Mertesacker has brought him on a level though.

Ramsey could easily depart he's spoken about barca/madrid

Mert/koscielny don't have long left

End of the day, if that happens it happens. Not even Utd could stop Ronaldo moving when it comes to the crunch so that's just one of those things.

Wouldnt say Ramsey is the type to **** Wenger over like others have though.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Wouldnt say Ramsey is the type to **** Wenger over like others have though.

Awww like Cesc wasn't? Aww how cute
Original post by Murder2Excellenc
Awww like Cesc wasn't? Aww how cute

You dont think Ramsey seem like a genuinely honest and respectful guy who knows who's been good to him? Can you imagine him refusing to train like Cesc or releasing bull**** statements like RVP? I
Original post by Zürich
Fergie must have seen it as well, was raging in his autobiography that Ramsey chose Arsenal :laugh:
Terrible but as a United fan I still haven't read it, got it on my shelf but not that keen tbh. Just got a feeling its going to be massively bias. Just felt with Fergie's personality and how quick it came out, it wasn't going to be that insightful and measured. We were really close to signing him, it still on the website
Original post by Zürich
You dont think Ramsey seem like a genuinely honest and respectful guy who knows who's been good to him? Can you imagine him refusing to train like Cesc or releasing bull**** statements like RVP? I

1. My heart is with Arsenal and I just can’t picture myself in a different shirt. I just can’t see it now because I love this Club so much.

2. If you look at the last five years, look at the steps I have made every season, if you look at the support the Boss and the whole Club gave me, the fans gave me, my team mates gave me this is the right decision. van Persie.

3. I have never stopped believing in Arsenal. I love this club, this is my seventh year now. Arsenal gave me a chance to develop into a good player and I want to repay the Club and the fans and everyone with trophies. van Persie.

4. I believe in Arsenal as a club, in the fans, in the teams. I just love Arsenal. van Persie. I feel like a real Gunner. I love this club, that’s no secret. van Persie.

5. One of the main reasons I signed was to lift a big trophy. I do not want to do it with a different team. I want to lift it with Arsenal. van Persie.

6. I love this Club, I think it’s a Club of class, if you look at our people who are working for Arsenal, from the boss to the people working at the Emirates, anyone who I speak to, anyone who is involved with Arsenal, they have class. van Persie.

7. Arsenal is a massive club, whatever happens I’ll always love this club. van Persie.

8. Even if you want to leave, as a player, I don’t think it is easy because when you move to Arsenal you are led there by your heart. van Persie.

‘They [Arsenal] are in my heart. They gave me everything. I owe Arsene Wenger basically everything,’ he told BBC’s Football Focus. (Cesc)
X

Words are words though, not saying I believe Ramsey's promises, because he hasnt felt the need to make any, I'm just saying he seems like a nice, humble fella.

That's not to say he wouldnt end up joining Real/Barca should the opportunity arise, just that he would be pretty honest about things and probably would give Wenger another season at least another season of world class service and certainly wouldnt pull any of the nonsense that Cesc/RVP did.
Original post by Zürich
Words are words though, not saying I believe Ramsey's promises, because he hasnt felt the need to make any, I'm just saying he seems like a nice, humble fella.

That's not to say he wouldnt end up joining Real/Barca should the opportunity arise, just that he would be pretty honest about things and probably would give Wenger another season at least of world class service and certainly wouldnt pull any of the nonsense that Cesc/RVP did. Foreigners...

It's not to do with joining Real or Barca, it's to do with leaving Arsenal. Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie, Hleb, Kolo, Ade, Clichy, they all left not because it was Barca/Madrid, but to win trophies at other clubs.

When was Cesc not honest about leaving? lol.
Reply 8178
Honestly, Ramsey just seems quiet and humble (compared to RVP). However, Wenger only has three seasons remaining. I think Ramsey will stay for those, but may (justifiably) leave afterwards if there is no progress.
It's not to do with joining Real or Barca, it's to do with leaving Arsenal. Fabregas, Nasri, van Persie, Hleb, Kolo, Ade, Clichy, they all left not because it was Barca/Madrid, but to win trophies at other clubs.

When was Cesc not honest about leaving? lol.

Let's see what happens, let's at least not win the trophies before we start worrying about it. Ramsey's just won the cup, he's 23 and at one of the top teams in Europe. Sure he's not thinking about it, so why should we? :tongue:

But British players tend to much more genuine, and as I say I think Ramsey is one of the most decent and respectful footballers around.

Latest