The Student Room Group

'Memory test' A-levels

Im starting AS level next year and i want to know which subjects are 'memory' based. Subjects preferred to know about:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
Theology
Economics
Psychology
Original post by KSIOlajideBT
Im starting AS level next year and i want to know which subjects are 'memory' based. Subjects preferred to know about:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
Theology
Economics
Psychology

I guess, to an extent, Biology is very memory based. However, you do need to apply your knowledge a fair bit, something that will come with practise and something that doesn't allow you to simply recite a few facts. :smile: Essay subjects tend to be a lot more memory based, but obviously you need to acquire the skills to write a decent essay, too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
Theology
Economics
Psychology

I would say in order most memory based to least
Theology
Psychology
Economics
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Maths

Obviously I only do some of thowe subjects so can not say that categorically.
I think what you'll find is that as you go down that list you may have to rote memorise less but you have to apply what you know which means thorough understanding. Some people find dealing with complex concepts more difficult than memorising

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
Theology
Economics
Psychology

I can only speak for the ones I know about.

Biology is memory heavy followed by Chemistry which is also memory heavy.

Physics and maths can fall into the same category although you have to remember a bit more in physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I study biology and chemistry.

OCR biology A-level is a piece of **** when it comes to memorising stuff.

OCR Chemistry A-level requires a good memory but is also about application.

OCR are shaking things up this year though and it's much more about application in both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Psychology is very memory based from personal experience.
Thing with Biology and Chemistry is that there may be a lot of 'how science works' questions so rather than memorising you have to apply what you have learnt.
Maths is only really memorising in terms for formulae.
Reply 6
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
Theology
Economics
Psychology

All subjects require memorisation to some extent. But from your list I would say biology and psychology mostly require memorising facts.

Quick Reply