The Student Room Group

OCR GCSE Chemistry C7 A173/02 - Thurs 19th June 2014

How do we feel about C7?

I feel that it is probably the hardest thing I have done at GCSE and I cannot wait until this exam is over.

I came home from the B7 exam today, took a bit of a break and then started C7 revision - but I kind of lost track after I had a look at the specimen paper for the new A173/02 paper we'll be sitting on Thursday.

It's been a little while since I've done any of this so I'll need to have a much more focused approach to it over the next few days I think.

Can't wait for this to be over!

You can download the A173/02 specimens here:
1 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-unit-a173-02-chemistry-modules-c7-higher-accredited.pdf

2 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-unit-a173-02-chemistry-module-c7-higher.pdf

These are two different papers. Each has a full mark scheme at the end of the paper.

No grade boundaries though, so go by the June 2013 grade boundaries (which are far higher than the old spec 'Ideas in Context' grade boundaries were!): http://www.wealdgs.org/user/74/161200.pdf

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JasonBrown2K14
How do we feel about C7?

I feel that it is probably the hardest thing I have done at GCSE and I cannot wait until this exam is over.

I came home from the B7 exam today, took a bit of a break and then started C7 revision - but I kind of lost track after I had a look at the specimen paper for the new A173/02 paper we'll be sitting on Thursday.

It's been a little while since I've done any of this so I'll need to have a much more focused approach to it over the next few days I think.

Can't wait for this to be over!

You can download the A173/02 specimens here:
1 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/80682-unit-a173-02-chemistry-modules-c7-higher-accredited.pdf

2 - http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/137265-unit-a173-02-chemistry-module-c7-higher.pdf

These are two different papers. Each has a full mark scheme at the end of the paper.

No grade boundaries though, so go by the June 2013 grade boundaries (which are far higher than the old spec 'Ideas in Context' grade boundaries were!): http://www.wealdgs.org/user/74/161200.pdf

B7? C7? I thought the highest they went up to was 6? :eek:
I feel like I'm fine for C7 with the g/dm3 and ammonia stuff, but the other sections I have no clue about, I think I can get the titration calculation questions, but C7 is so much more difficult than B7, it was mostly graphs today :smile:
Original post by Huda_medo
B7? C7? I thought the highest they went up to was 6? :eek:

If you do the OCR 21st Century Triple Science course (three separate GCSEs for biology, chemistry and physics) then you also sit module 7 for each science. Module 7 is the length of two modules.

Original post by PoppyRendall
I feel like I'm fine for C7 with the g/dm3 and ammonia stuff, but the other sections I have no clue about, I think I can get the titration calculation questions, but C7 is so much more difficult than B7, it was mostly graphs today :smile:

Yes same here. The ammonia stuff I revised yesterday - today I'm going to try and go over the first half of the unit. It's like 18 pages in my CGP revision guide (by comparison B7 is 12!)

To be honest, I feel this meme sums the whole situation up about C7 quite nicely at this point in time:

Hopefully I'll have more of an idea by the end of today... :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I actually like Chemistry I find it easy, but to be honest C7 is difficult!
I understand everything I just really have to through it again, but the working out the Grams and masses from RFM, that's just too complicated!! That's what I really need to focus on :O!
But Good Luck to all anyway! :biggrin:
Hopefully all A*s :smile:
Good luck to you too!

I have been busy revising C7 over the past 2 days especially. I have just revised that grams and masses from RFMs stuff and it is too complicated to remember haha! Praying it doesn't turn up! :wink:

I feel a lot better about C7 now than I did when I posted that meme the other day - so to update: 'I have a rough idea what I'm doing'. :wink:
Reply 6
I'm feeling totally unprepared. Is this the first year with this specification or was there a C7 exam like this in June 2013 as well?
Original post by iamnotme
I'm feeling totally unprepared. Is this the first year with this specification or was there a C7 exam like this in June 2013 as well?

A173/02 was also sat in June 2013.

The legacy papers are still good revision material though, because besides question 1, the rest of the papers are still relevant to our spec.

I realised I posted two threads about this exam (sorry for double posting!) - I uploaded some of the old papers in this thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=48251139&postcount=10
Reply 8
I did chemistry last year and got a B overall and i am resiting this course to hopeful get an A overall.

I find c7 the hardest and last year that exam for it was probably the hardest exam i have ever done so hopefully they will be nicer this year! :smile: Good luck everyone
Original post by lburke20
I did chemistry last year and got a B overall and i am resiting this course to hopeful get an A overall.

I find c7 the hardest and last year that exam for it was probably the hardest exam i have ever done so hopefully they will be nicer this year! :smile: Good luck everyone

Good luck to you too! I hope you get that A! :smile:

And yes I agree about how hard C7 is. It is probably the most difficult thing I've done at GCSE. It must be verging on A level, surely?
I hate C7 with a passion, and the fact my teacher had to rush through it despite the fact it is arguably the hardest chemisty module. I understand most, except the processes such as the haber process and titrations. And also that phases in chromatography aren't actually part of the process after hours of revision.
Good luck guys - we'll discuss how the paper went after we've done it on these threads I'm sure. :smile:

Go OWN THAT PAPER today! :biggrin:
How'd it go guise?
Original post by mercuryman
How'd it go guise?

I thought it was a nice paper! Maybe a tad more difficult than the June 2013 paper (especially on the 6 markers), but a hell of a lot easier than the specimen and the old legacy papers!

All in all - good! No more chemistry for me! *dances around the room* :biggrin:
I thought it was a nice paper! Maybe a tad more difficult than the June 2013 paper (especially on the 6 markers), but a hell of a lot easier than the specimen and the old legacy papers!

What did you get for the Mass of sulfuric acid reacting with the 1g mass of naoh?

I got
1.23g
What did you get for the Mass of sulfuric acid reacting with the 1g mass of naoh?

I got
1.23g

I honestly cannot remember!

And deffo, I agree!
Welp, now it's time for p7.
And deffo, I agree!
Welp, now it's time for p7.

Not tonight for me though. I'm having a night off.

I shall begin P7 revision tomorrow - then I can spend the weekend doing it. Weather looks crap for weekend, so ideal revision weather! :wink:
I might be going mad but in the titration question does anybody remmember if it said that the Relative formula mass of SO4 was 40? I think it did and if it did surely thats a mistake?
Not tonight for me though. I'm having a night off.

I shall begin P7 revision tomorrow - then I can spend the weekend doing it. Weather looks crap for weekend, so ideal revision weather! :wink:

Lololol same; to be quite frank, P7 isn't that hard anyway- easier than C7 ( but I could be wrong. The past physics exams were; to an extent a complete mess for me)

Latest

Trending

Trending