The Student Room Group

EDEXCEL Music A2 2013-2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Billy_O'Naire
Could we share predictions for essay questions for the Applied Music Set Works?

If you look at all the past papers, the last few years have been a choice of 1. film music, 2. world music and 3. classical/rennaissance (3 which has varied) so i would assume it is highly likely film and world will come up this year. Also, film and world isnt studied at AS which would show the examiner developed skills from AS to A2. Well thats what im going with! .....i hope so as i know the most about the horner and yellow bird!
Reply 21
Original post by livennor
If you look at all the past papers, the last few years have been a choice of 1. film music, 2. world music and 3. classical/rennaissance (3 which has varied) so i would assume it is highly likely film and world will come up this year. Also, film and world isnt studied at AS which would show the examiner developed skills from AS to A2. Well thats what im going with! .....i hope so as i know the most about the horner and yellow bird!

I'm really hoping for the taverner, it's got so much to say but it's not too overwhelming. I never know what to talk about for the horner apart from the lydian-ness

Just found this I'm in absolute hysterics

[video="youtube;LaSS4JzvGQg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaSS4JzvGQg[/video]
Original post by livennor

Cool. What could they possibly ask us about the Titanic and Yellow Bird?

I was thinking:
How does Horner create the atmosphere in Titanic?
How is Yellow Bird an example of Caribbean music?

Any other suggestions?
Is anyone else only learning ten set works?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you reckon they'll ask for both European and Caribbean features of "Yellow Bird"? if they only ask for Caribbean ones, can you pass most of the European features as Caribbean ones anyway?
Original post by 123drummerboy456
Do you reckon they'll ask for both European and Caribbean features of "Yellow Bird"? if they only ask for Caribbean ones, can you pass most of the European features as Caribbean ones anyway?

They are never that specific. All the 13 markers are basically asking "tell me everything you know about this piece. " just make sure u relate everything back to the question "and this shows how it is stylistic of" or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Does anyone have a predictions about the instrumental music essays?
The set works change every year. Its almost impossible to predict what they'd choose! I have a feeling schumann wont be in it just seems like the odd one out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool. What could they possibly ask us about the Titanic and Yellow Bird?

I was thinking:
How does Horner create the atmosphere in Titanic?
How is Yellow Bird an example of Caribbean music?

Any other suggestions?

The question is irrelevant- they're asking for the same thing anyway. You can use the same points, just word it differently.
Original post by nurtasher333
The set works change every year. Its almost impossible to predict what they'd choose! I have a feeling schumann wont be in it just seems like the odd one out

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think both Back and Beethoven will come up, they both have too much to say about them to have them in the same question at least. I'll make up these
1. Webern, Ellington and Bach. Melody and Structure.
2. Kinderscenen, Beethoven and Debussy. Harmony and Tonality.
Instrumentation never comes up it seems and I doubt texture will but that's my guess.
Original post by Tom_green_day
I don't think both Back and Beethoven will come up, they both have too much to say about them to have them in the same question at least. I'll make up these
1. Webern, Ellington and Bach. Melody and Structure.
2. Kinderscenen, Beethoven and Debussy. Harmony and Tonality.
Instrumentation never comes up it seems and I doubt texture will but that's my guess.

yeah thats a fair point. I think im gonna leave webern out just cos I find it so disgusting! I have a feeling they could ask instrumentation for ellington/beethoven as there is quite abit for those

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also if a question camr up about schumann, how would you structure it? Would you divide it into three sections or do it thematically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nurtasher333
yeah thats a fair point. I think im gonna leave webern out just cos I find it so disgusting! I have a feeling they could ask instrumentation for ellington/beethoven as there is quite abit for those
Also if a question camr up about schumann, how would you structure it? Would you divide it into three sections or do it thematically

Posted from TSR Mobile

Instrumentation would be great, likewise texture and melody. I'll choose anything with the biggest number of those in it.
If Schumann comes up I act like it's another piece in 3 parts. I think if you do it thematically you might do it differently. I do 12 paragraphs, each has 1 point about each set text that I'm talking about. 6 for one topic 6 for the other.
Instrumentation would be great, likewise texture and melody. I'll choose anything with the biggest number of those in it.
If Schumann comes up I act like it's another piece in 3 parts. I think if you do it thematically you might do it differently. I do 12 paragraphs, each has 1 point about each set text that I'm talking about. 6 for one topic 6 for the other.

What does it mean if they ask about instrumentation?
What does it mean if they ask about instrumentation?

Firstly what kind of instruments play the piece- you can talk about the solo piano of the Sarabande or Kinderscenen, or the Concerto Grosso of Bach's piece.
You can also mention instrumental techniques like pizzocato/arco and ornamentation. Idiomatic playing could also be talked about for an easy point.
Firstly what kind of instruments play the piece- you can talk about the solo piano of the Sarabande or Kinderscenen, or the Concerto Grosso of Bach's piece.
You can also mention instrumental techniques like pizzocato/arco and ornamentation. Idiomatic playing could also be talked about for an easy point.

Thanks. What a horrible topic to talk about. I much prefer talking about melody, harmony, structure, tonality and texture. Other than the topics I listed, are there any other topics we should be expecting?
Thanks. What a horrible topic to talk about. I much prefer talking about melody, harmony, structure, tonality and texture. Other than the topics I listed, are there any other topics we should be expecting?

Oh I quite like it, the points are always easy to write about and find examples of. Yes, you missed rhythm and metre off the list, which is IMO a bit of a pain anyway.
Could they ask about timbre?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh I quite like it, the points are always easy to write about and find examples of. Yes, you missed rhythm and metre off the list, which is IMO a bit of a pain anyway.

Tom, are you Tom Green and play the viola/violin? If so, I think I know you. The Tom Green I know loves green day.
Reply 39

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending