The Student Room Group

Calculator Recommendations for A Level Maths, Further Maths and Physics

Can anyone recommend any good graphical calculators that can be used for A Level Maths and Further Maths? I'm thinking about buying this one but I'm not sure if it's wotrth it for the hefty price tag: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-CG20-FX-CG20-L-EH/dp/B004YVJKAM
Original post by Azzer11
Can anyone recommend any good graphical calculators that can be used for A Level Maths and Further Maths? I'm thinking about buying this one but I'm not sure if it's wotrth it for the hefty price tag: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-CG20-FX-CG20-L-EH/dp/B004YVJKAM

I think that calculator is banned in exams and even if it isn't, it's an incredible waste of money. If you're going to get a graphical calculator, get this one. However, to be quite honest, I'd argue that getting a graphical calculator for A Level is a waste of money. With a few exceptions (I think there are some OCR units which require a graphical calculator) you're really not going to get a lot of benefit from a graphical calculator over a calculator like the Casio FX991, which is the calculator I'd recommend.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
I think that calculator is banned in exams and even if it isn't, it's an incredible waste of money. If you're going to get a graphical calculator, get this one. However, to be quite honest, I'd argue that getting a graphical calculator for A Level is a waste of money. With a few exceptions (I think there are some OCR units which require a graphical calculator) you're really not going to get a lot of benefit from a graphical calculator over a calculator like the Casio FX991, which is the calculator I'd recommend.

Think you linked the wrong one for the FX991, I would definitely recommend that though over the black one of similar design, as the former has more features (useful things like in-built quadratic/cubic/simultaneous eqn solver). Leave buying a graphical calculator til later, if you think you need it. It can be useful in some FP2 questions. Not sure of any OCR papers requiring a graphical calculator, unless you're talking MEI.
The calculator that I use is Casio FX-991ES PLUS, it is the best one you can use that is not banned. It is only 20€.
Goodluck
Reply 4
I currently own the Casio fx-cg20 and I can tell you it is worth every penny. Fortunately I managed to get it for £80 new on eBay (I'm sure if you search around you can get it new for around £100) so I jumped at the chance to get it before someone else bought it before me. I am doing AS Chemistry Physics Maths and Further Maths, and it is extremely useful for all these subjects (especially Further maths of course). If you have a passion for maths I recommend getting it; the coloured interface and script symbols make this calculator so much more satisfying to use compared to other casio models. I did loads of research before buying this calculator, and I can tell you it is not banned in exams (it is designed to be used in exams), I have already used it in my Physics unit 1 exam (which I had today :smile: ) and I will use it for all the exams I have left over the next month. I assume you cannot use if for chemistry (if you take chemistry) as it has a periodic table with electronic configurations and other information about elements.

If you (like me) have exams in the coming weeks I do not recommend you try and use this calculator or any other graphical calculators as they take awhile to get used to (the layout is slightly different to the standard casio calculators) and you will end up sitting in the exam staring at it trying to work out which buttons do what...

I only recommend buying this calculator if you use it to its full potential, and not just use it as a standard calculator.

Well it isn't banned. Only calculators with CAS are banned. No point saying you think you know something when you really don't.
Original post by neveroddoreven
Well it isn't banned. Only calculators with CAS are banned. No point saying you think you know something when you really don't.

You don't need to be so aggressive. Nobody was responding to the OP, so a contribution (and a bump) is better than nothing. And I completely stand by my assertion that it is a complete waste of money, which it is.
Reply 7
I used the Casio fx-9860GII its good and I got it off amazon for £85.
I use the FX-991 linked above and tbh it's difficult to make use of all the features.

If you're pretty sue you want to do further maths at A2, you're better off with a graphical calculator (although you can probably make do without). If just at AS, the FX-991 is perfect.

Whatever you do, £130 sounds way too much for a calculator. What if you lose it?
You don't need to be so aggressive. Nobody was responding to the OP, so a contribution (and a bump) is better than nothing. And I completely stand by my assertion that it is a complete waste of money, which it is.

Reading my comment back I agree it came out quite aggressive so I'm sorry about that.
I managed to get the cg20 on ebay for less than half the retail price and for what I paid I believe it is an amazing calculator. I normally finish my maths exams with some time to spare and I can use the calculator to check most of my answers (excluding applied modules). If you get to do fp1 you can literally check every answer using the graphics (off course you only get marks for your working).
Original post by neveroddoreven
Reading my comment back I agree it came out quite aggressive so I'm sorry about that.
I managed to get the cg20 on ebay for less than half the retail price and for what I paid I believe it is an amazing calculator. I normally finish my maths exams with some time to spare and I can use the calculator to check most of my answers (excluding applied modules). If you get to do fp1 you can literally check every answer using the graphics (off course you only get marks for your working).

I've done FP1 and I have absolutely no idea why you'd need a graphical calculator...
I've done FP1 and I have absolutely no idea why you'd need a graphical calculator...

You don't need it. It's just once you've finished the paper you can use the calculator to make sure your answers are right and change the wrong answers. Sketching a graph. Comparing the roots of the old and new functions. Etc

Yeah I've done FP1 and FP3 and doing FP2 tomorrow, and I just use my Casio fx-83gt plus calculator. I can understand wanting one if they were under about £30, but at that price its just a ridiculous waste of money, because I do Maths, FM, Physics and did Chem AS, and no-one in any of my classes has one. I don't think I've ever even seen one 'in the flesh' before
Reply 13
I'm doing A level Maths, I've got an old Casio 6300G and a 7400G Plus but I need to get another calculator that does Natural Display. Would I be able to use the 7400 for the graphing topics and get a Casio 991ES? Or would it be better to get a Casio 9860 or CG-20 as they would be able to help more with the graphs, that I sometimes struggle with.

I've looked at the TI-Nspire CG but it doesn't do numerical simplifications, which seems ridiculous. The CAS version does the numerical simplifications but you can't use that in exams.

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
TI-84. Simple ish to use, not TOO expensive as graphical calcs go and very powerful. Makes FP1 matrices a breeze (comparitively). Also used it in every exam (excluding C1 ofc.) to check answers and it's very good for this. Not useful for physics, not essential for single maths (not essential for further either...) but excellent to aid learning sometimes. I liked being able to plot polar graphs when we first started doing them and the various stats. functions are absolutely the best thing about it. It makes stats no longer a chore.

Quick Reply

Latest