The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
Original post by mo_masquerade
A correct formation of the transcription-initiation complex and correct binding to the promoter region causes a gene to switch on. RNA polymerase can attach and replications occur.

A failure of the formation of the transcription-initiation complex or failure for it to bind to the promoter region of the DNA antisense strand leads to genes remaining switched off. This is due to the action of repressor molecules.

Something I have been confused by though...
Is a hormone-receptor complex (steroid hormones), a transcription-initiation complex? They both bind to the promoter region on the DNA :/

Thank you so much! My teacher forgot to go over this. So irritating.
And i think the hormone-receptor complexes act as transcription factors. It links to the use of performance enhancing drugs such as erythrypoietin (more red blood cells, more oxygen, enhances performance). So i believe hormone-receptor complexes work in the same way as transcription-initiation complexes.
Original post by haniie219
Thank you so much! My teacher forgot to go over this. So irritating.
And i think the hormone-receptor complexes act as transcription factors. It links to the use of performance enhancing drugs such as erythrypoietin (more red blood cells, more oxygen, enhances performance). So i believe hormone-receptor complexes work in the same way as transcription-initiation complexes.

It's ok. And thank you for that :smile:
Would someone kindly explain glycolysis, and aerobic respiration in terms of ATP, Hydrogen NAD and oxidative phosphorylation.
Please I am really confused again.
Original post by tazk786
Me too!
Good luck today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! I'm a bit late haha
Original post by Bioman95
Would someone kindly explain glycolysis, and aerobic respiration in terms of ATP, Hydrogen NAD and oxidative phosphorylation.
Please I am really confused again.

What bits of each section do you want explaining?
Original post by Katy4341
What bits of each section do you want explaining?

Well i am confused as to what happens to the hydrogen and nads in glycolysis/aerobic/anaerobic respiration. Please help lol im so lost
Reply 706
Well i am confused as to what happens to the hydrogen and nads in glycolysis/aerobic/anaerobic respiration. Please help lol im so lost

In my revision guide it says that the NAD produced in aerobic respiration (it is oxidised from reduced NAD in the electron transport chain) is used in glycolysis.
In anaerobic respiration, the NAD formed when pryuvate is reduced to lactate, is also used in glycolysis.
The hydrogens in the Krebs cycle are used in the electron transport chain to synthesise ATP in oxidative phosphorylation.

Hope I helped!
Reply 707
I'm slightly confused. MDMA and SSRIs both block the reuptake of serotonin yet MDMA can cause depression while SSRIs are used to treat depression. Can someone please explain this to me?
I'm slightly confused. MDMA and SSRIs both block the reuptake of serotonin yet MDMA can cause depression while SSRIs are used to treat depression. Can someone please explain this to me?

Thanks for the help and both ssris and mdma work in the same way, they stimilate the neurones producing seratonin and also block the reuptake of it, there is a high concentration of it in the clefts. When they wear off they cause depression as the neurones have used up a lot of the bodoes seratonin levels. The difference with mdma and ssris are that mdma has a more intense effect and more intense after effect. U would be depressed for s while if you came off ur prozac till your body regenerates seratonin. Hope i helped.
Reply 709
Can someone explain the whole plant photoreceptors and day length stuff? It's all so confusing! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 710
Thanks for the help and both ssris and mdma work in the same way, they stimilate the neurones producing seratonin and also block the reuptake of it, there is a high concentration of it in the clefts. When they wear off they cause depression as the neurones have used up a lot of the bodoes seratonin levels. The difference with mdma and ssris are that mdma has a more intense effect and more intense after effect. U would be depressed for s while if you came off ur prozac till your body regenerates seratonin. Hope i helped.

That makes sense! Thank you :smile:
Reply 711
Original post by Rz_22
Can someone explain the whole plant photoreceptors and day length stuff? It's all so confusing! Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

In terms of tropism?
Reply 712
In terms of tropism?

Yes! And how Pfr and Pr work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
does anyone know what the marker gene is used for in genetic modification?
and do we need to know about creating phosphate?
thank you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone have any possible exam questions for the synoptic article? Or anything that could possibly come up on Friday to do with the article? :smile:
Reply 715
Original post by Rz_22
Yes! And how Pfr and Pr work :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A tropism is a plant's response to an environmental stimuli e.g. Light, hence phototropism.

Shoots have a positive phototropism, they grow towards the light and roots have a negative phototropism, they grow away from the light.

The growth factor in plants is auxin (e.g.IAA). In shoots, auxin stimulates growth and in roots, auxin prevents growth.

When light shines in one direction, it is on the dark side (star wars) of the plant so, the shoot grows towards the light by elongation.

IAA travels short distances by diffusion and active transport and long distances in phloem.

I'm not sure what Pr and Pfr are? Sorry :/ but I hope I helped!
Reply 716
Original post by student55
does anyone know what the marker gene is used for in genetic modification?
and do we need to know about creating phosphate?
thank you!

The marker can be antibiotic resistance.
Reply 717
A tropism is a plant's response to an environmental stimuli e.g. Light, hence phototropism.

Shoots have a positive phototropism, they grow towards the light and roots have a negative phototropism, they grow away from the light.

The growth factor in plants is auxin (e.g.IAA). In shoots, auxin stimulates growth and in roots, auxin prevents growth.

When light shines in one direction, it is on the dark side (star wars) of the plant so, the shoot grows towards the light by elongation.

IAA travels short distances by diffusion and active transport and long distances in phloem.

I'm not sure what Pr and Pfr are? Sorry :/ but I hope I helped!

Thank you so so much! :smile:
Pr and Pfr are the photoreceptors in the plant that detect light.
Pr absorbs red light and Pfr absorbs far red light
When one form of the pigment absorbs light, it is concerted reversibly to the other form.
These phytochromes enable the plant to respond to changes in day length.

I don't get how this links in with the tropism stuff or are supposed to revise them as two different things?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi has anyone learnt about anabolic steroids and erythropoietin and their benefits and limitations? :s-smilie: seen it on someone's revisions notes but it's not on the specification? Would be a great help!:smile:
Reply 719
Original post by corrgeorgia
Hi has anyone learnt about anabolic steroids and erythropoietin and their benefits and limitations? :s-smilie: seen it on someone's revisions notes but it's not on the specification? Would be a great help!:smile:

It is on the specification 'explain how genes can be switched on and off by DNA transcription factors including hormones'

Do you want me to explain each of them? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending