The Student Room Group

Can't decide!! Architecture or product design engineering!

Currently studying maths, IT, art and physics and would decide to drop IT at A2. Hope to go to either, nottingham, loughbrough, or ucl to study either of those subjects.
Is there advice from anyone currently or have studied one of degrees on which one is best to take?
Thanks
Reply 1
How was your freehand drawing skill? Courses like architecture or product design would require certain level of drawing otherwise you'll found struggling.

Also how's your BIM skills such as Revit, CAD? These are not something you want take fresh start in uni so better be prepared.

For me came from arch I'll certainly say arch at ucl. No offence product design looks like putting up LEGO. Since they are all about design, why not design something big?
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply. I have used CAD before as I have studied GCSE Design Technology in Graphics and Resistant materials.

My freehand drawing skills should be fine as I've done a lot in art. (Predicted definitely an A)

Is architecture at UCL really hard to get into, as I know they look into your art portfolio in detail whereas others uni care more about your grades.

Product design engineering is my backup as I don't want to go into 'rubbish' unis to study architecture, as it's more of a chance for a girl to get into a good product design engineering course.

I'm currently starting my art project based on modern buildings and the reflection of glass in them, do you think this is a good idea to include in as portfolio work. Any suggestions of what I can include/ develop my theme/ materials i should use.
Reply 3
Original post by gloria0816
Thanks for your reply. I have used CAD before as I have studied GCSE Design Technology in Graphics and Resistant materials.

My freehand drawing skills should be fine as I've done a lot in art. (Predicted definitely an A)

Is architecture at UCL really hard to get into, as I know they look into your art portfolio in detail whereas others uni care more about your grades.

Product design engineering is my backup as I don't want to go into 'rubbish' unis to study architecture, as it's more of a chance for a girl to get into a good product design engineering course.

I'm currently starting my art project based on modern buildings and the reflection of glass in them, do you think this is a good idea to include in as portfolio work. Any suggestions of what I can include/ develop my theme/ materials i should use.

Since I didn't do first year here so my advice may not accurate. To get stand out in a difficult admission, the portfolio have to be presented in a way which demonstrates you have certain level of:

1> drawing techniques, but don't worry much since we mostly will go sketches or aqua. Keep it classic and decent, make sure it's clean and clear.

2> preliminary understanding of building, such as aesthetic appearance, basic structure, façade, services, green standards, low carbon, renewable or sustainability. Such knowledge may require years of experience, if you don't know it's totally fine. What I'm trying to say is showing understanding may present a shining point in your application.

I'm not sure how you going to approach the glazing reflection but if you feel it looks nice, it make the point clear then it's totally fine. For myself I'll do an analytical portfolio about Olympic Buildings in past several decades but obviously that's too much for you.

According to my memory UCL do require to review your portfolio but it's not really something to panic about, just put something you feel confident. If you want some references I suggest you take a look on previous years of Arup Journal (available in their website) which might help you with some ideas.
Personally, I'd go for Architecture (though I'm biased as I do currently study it). But architecture as a subject is incredibly broad, and with just an undergrad degree, you don't have to go into architecture as a profession - I know several people who have internships in the 'design industry' who are currently on my course. Architecture would give you the chance to go into just 'something in design', whereas product design wouldn't give you the chance to go into architecture.
Also, any reason for those three universities? Loughborough don't offer architecture, as far as I know. With architecture, there are so many courses that all have their merits - and to be honest, as long as you're on a reputable course, it doesn't really matter where you study your undergrad - it's more about the portfolio you produce to show employers than anything else.
Reply 5
Original post by Novezeil
Since I didn't do first year here so my advice may not accurate. To get stand out in a difficult admission, the portfolio have to be presented in a way which demonstrates you have certain level of:

1> drawing techniques, but don't worry much since we mostly will go sketches or aqua. Keep it classic and decent, make sure it's clean and clear.

2> preliminary understanding of building, such as aesthetic appearance, basic structure, façade, services, green standards, low carbon, renewable or sustainability. Such knowledge may require years of experience, if you don't know it's totally fine. What I'm trying to say is showing understanding may present a shining point in your application.

I'm not sure how you going to approach the glazing reflection but if you feel it looks nice, it make the point clear then it's totally fine. For myself I'll do an analytical portfolio about Olympic Buildings in past several decades but obviously that's too much for you.

According to my memory UCL do require to review your portfolio but it's not really something to panic about, just put something you feel confident. If you want some references I suggest you take a look on previous years of Arup Journal (available in their website) which might help you with some ideas.

Thank you so much for your tips and advice, which helps me to understand more of what an architectural degree would do!! And the encouragement to apply to UCl!!
Reply 6
Original post by clareyyyyyyy
Personally, I'd go for Architecture (though I'm biased as I do currently study it). But architecture as a subject is incredibly broad, and with just an undergrad degree, you don't have to go into architecture as a profession - I know several people who have internships in the 'design industry' who are currently on my course. Architecture would give you the chance to go into just 'something in design', whereas product design wouldn't give you the chance to go into architecture.
Also, any reason for those three universities? Loughborough don't offer architecture, as far as I know. With architecture, there are so many courses that all have their merits - and to be honest, as long as you're on a reputable course, it doesn't really matter where you study your undergrad - it's more about the portfolio you produce to show employers than anything else.

Ahh .. a Sheffield arch uni student!!

'Also, any reason for those three universities?'

Yeah sort of... just want to choose universities which are either close to home or in london.
Loughborough does architectural engineering .. any ideas on what is the main different between that and normal k100 architecture?
Also Loughborough has product design engineering and Nottingham has product design and manufacture which is my back up if i don't do architecture.
Does Sheffield accept a lot of people and also do they only accept people with a minimum of 3 A's?

Original post by gloria0816
Ahh .. a Sheffield arch uni student!!

'Also, any reason for those three universities?'

Yeah sort of... just want to choose universities which are either close to home or in london.
Loughborough does architectural engineering .. any ideas on what is the main different between that and normal k100 architecture?
Also Loughborough has product design engineering and Nottingham has product design and manufacture which is my back up if i don't do architecture.
Does Sheffield accept a lot of people and also do they only accept people with a minimum of 3 A's?

Ahhh okay. I don't know much about architectural engineering, but I assume it would be very technical with very little 'pure architecture' in there. I really don't know though, I doubt it's anything like a k100 course.
There are plenty of schools in/close to London though! People are quick to dismiss the likes of Westminster etc but they're generally very well respected architecture courses!
I'm sure I remember someone mentioning a statistic of there being around 1500 applicants for about 80 places? Either way, it's fairly competitive. I do know people who were accepted with less, but only because they missed their offer by a few marks and had exceptional portfolios. (:
If you've got any more questions about architecture/similar feel free to ask away! (:

Quick Reply

Latest