The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OMG, I'VE STARTED READING 'THE GAMER'. I really enjoy it. IT'S NOT MANGA, IT'S KOREAN MANGWHA (OR SOMETHING SIMILAR). After SAO, I was really looking forward to reading something based on mmorps and I've found one. Yay
Poke. :wavey:
Any suggestions for a site which has up to date (or as close as they can be) english translated manga. Whenever i discuss a manga on a thread, people are always further into a story and full of spoilers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LazyGinge
Any suggestions for a site which has up to date (or as close as they can be) english translated manga. Whenever i discuss a manga on a thread, people are always further into a story and full of spoilers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Majority of manga reader sites are hosting illegal fan scanlations which we can't link to here (Googling manga reader will give you more sites than you know what to do with). Crunchyroll now has a legal manga section though which they seem to be adding titles to continuously.
Original post by caraniel
Majority of manga reader sites are hosting illegal fan scanlations which we can't link to here (Googling manga reader will give you more sites than you know what to do with). Crunchyroll now has a legal manga section though which they seem to be adding titles to continuously.

Thanks, i'll do that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finished reading Magnolia - an alright series, but the ending was horribly abrupt. The conclusion of its side story, Lily, felt even more rushed. :s: Guess the tag was there to warn me...

Am starting Red River to replace it. It seems highly rated, and the setting interests me a lot. I don't know much about the Hittite empire (was always more into Ancient Egypt), but apparently the series references historic people and events from the time. Hopefully it'll give me a few things to look up and learn about. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AngryJellyfish

Am starting Red River to replace it. It seems highly rated, and the setting interests me a lot. I don't know much about the Hittite empire (was always more into Ancient Egypt), but apparently the series features a lot of historic people and events from the time. Hopefully it'll give me a few things to look up and learn about. :smile:

Know any more animes based on Egyptian or Greek Mythology?
Original post by Lord Fifa

Surprisingly few (that I know of)... a small number take some inspiration from them, e.g. Saint Seiya from Greece, or Yu-Gi-Oh! from Egypt. Then there's Korokoro Pollon, but you won't find English subs for that beyond the first episode. The only other thing that springs to mind is Tezuka's Cleopatra... which the US licensing company subtitled 'Queen of Sex', just as a warning. :p:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lord Fifa

Surprisingly few (that I know of)... a small number take some inspiration from them, e.g. Saint Seiya from Greece, or Yu-Gi-Oh! from Egypt. Then there's Korokoro Pollon, but you won't find English subs for that beyond the first episode. The only other thing that springs to mind is Tezuka's Cleopatra... which the US licensing company subtitled 'Queen of Sex', just as a warning. :p:

But what about this season's Kamigami no Asobi!? It has managed to combine Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Japanese gods with that most high-brow of genres - the multi-coloured bishie fluff reverse harem!

There's also the delightfully terribad Hermes - Winds of Love movie, and Arion (which I haven't actually seen).
Ullysses 31 is based on Homer's The Odyssey .

Generally stuff based on Greek / Roman / Egyptian mythology isn't the best.
I took to Facebook to ask for other suggestions, because I knew there HAD to be more than what Cara and I first posted. Forgot about Unico, and moving away slightly from mythology and onto Ancient Greek-themes in general, we came up with Hashire! Melos and Alexander Senki. :p:
Hello everyone, I'm SociallyAwkward, but please feel free to call me anything non-offensive. :smile:

Original post by Tai Ga
omg Ao Haru Ride :woo: one of my fave shoujo

YES. I didn't like it at first- (Maybe because I found the drawings a bit weird :/ ) But I really like it now. <3
Been watching Samurai Champloo & Girls und Panzer. Finding Girls und Panzer a lot more enjoyable which makes me question my taste in anime.
Was meant to watch the hellsing OVA's is it worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey Guys;

Well, I watched the first episode of K a few weeks back but kinda left it for a while.
Before I watch the second episode, is the anime any good?
I took to Facebook to ask for other suggestions, because I knew there HAD to be more than what Cara and I first posted. Forgot about Unico, and moving away slightly from mythology and onto Ancient Greek-themes in general, we came up with Hashire! Melos and Alexander Senki. :p:

Original post by caraniel
But what about this season's Kamigami no Asobi!? It has managed to combine Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Japanese gods with that most high-brow of genres - the multi-coloured bishie fluff reverse harem!

There's also the delightfully terribad Hermes - Winds of Love movie, and Arion (which I haven't actually seen).
Ullysses 31 is based on Homer's The Odyssey .

Generally stuff based on Greek / Roman / Egyptian mythology isn't the best.

Thanks, Ill check some of them out.
Original post by Numan786
Was meant to watch the hellsing OVA's is it worth it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say so, I saw the original and it was pretty good, yet the OVA is about an hour long each, it's in my list and I still need to finish the last episode after about a year XD.
The OVA is good. :smile:
haven't been watching much anime even though I've finished my exams cos of the World Cup :tongue: Wimbledon starts next week :yeah: been keeping up with Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou, that rabbit show, DB Kai and mangaka-san, all have been pretty enjoyable :yes: going to go back to No Game No Life and might give Black Bullet a go as I enjoyed the first few minutes of it :beard:
OHHHHH YEAAAAAAHHHHHH~!!!

Ping Pong is SOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOD
The ending of an anime has a huge impact on how I rate the show. And that was an absolutely perfect, fantastic ending. I don't know if it would be correct to really call it a 'sports' show since it doesn't focus on the technical aspects. But it does take a really good look at all the drama, fun and responsibility that is involved in investing oneself in a sport.
This anime made me feel so incredibly happy and it is just so good in so many ways.

Also I loved this in the final ep (not-really-a-spoiler)

Spoiler

Original post by eugenius 8
haven't been watching much anime even though I've finished my exams cos of the World Cup :tongue: Wimbledon starts next week :yeah: been keeping up with Boku no Pico, that rabbit show, DB Kai and mangaka-san, all have been pretty enjoyable :yes: going to go back to No Game No Life and might give Black Bullet a go as I enjoyed the first few minutes of it :beard:

Maybe you should watch Nodame Cantible like I asked you to 5 years ago :unimpressed:

Also you watch some questionable stuff :shock:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest