The Student Room Group

GCSE Chemistry Unit 3 (C3)

Anyone have any predictions for 6 markers for the C3 exam tomorrow? (19th June)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annie79
Anyone have any predictions for 6 markers for the C3 exam tomorrow? (19th June)

im pretty good with these... il tell you when ive revised
Reply 2
A titration could easily be one of them. ^^
Original post by Parallex
A titration could easily be one of them. ^^

i believe that was last year :frown: would have been simple
Reply 4
Original post by Angelo12231
i believe that was last year :frown: would have been simple

Mmm yeah, that's what me and my friend said. However, it's such an easy 6 mark for them to put in.

Er... Electrolysis could be a 6 marker (if so, it won't be the easy electrolysis as that was in C1)

Ethanol production came up last year if I recall correctly, but I wouldn't be surprised if it came up again.

Making esters and how soap works could also be.
There will be one topic from Electrolysis( mostly the one that involves half-equations) and The Haber Process are more likely to turn up.
i would put my money on soaps and esters to come , maybe margarine?
can someone explain to me what dehydration means, is it as simple as removing water from something...
Reply 8
Original post by LeEastafrican
i would put my money on soaps and esters to come , maybe margarine?

hmm, maybe soaps and esters, but margarine i would say would be a 3-4 mark question.
Reply 9
can someone explain to me what dehydration means, is it as simple as removing water from something...

basically, the ethanol is dehydrated in the presence of a CATALYST (usually aluminium oxide) to form ethene gas and water
the equation for this is:
Ethanol --> ethene + water
(C2H5OH --> C2H4 + H20)
Original post by annie79
basically, the ethanol is dehydrated in the presence of a CATALYST (usually aluminium oxide) to form ethene gas and water
the equation for this is:
Ethanol --> ethene + water
(C2H5OH --> C2H4 + H20)

thank you, almost forgot the catalyst.

Also for the margarine,
a hydrogen atom is added to the carbon double bond of unsaturated oil,
is it also using a catalyst? and what is the process called? is it something like hydrogenation, need clarification
thank you, almost forgot the catalyst.

Also for the margarine,
a hydrogen atom is added to the carbon double bond of unsaturated oil,
is it also using a catalyst? and what is the process called? is it something like hydrogenation, need clarification

It's called Catalytic Hydrogenation, hydrogen atoms are added to unsaturated oil to make it a saturated fat, as the double bonds are converted to single bonds.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Parallex
It's called Catalytic Hydrogenation, hydrogen atoms are added to unsaturated oil to make it a saturated fat, as the double bonds are converted to single bonds.

Catalytic Hydrogenation, so it does involve a catalyst, do we have to know the name of the catalyst like the one involved in the dehydration of ethanol ?
Catalytic Hydrogenation, so it does involve a catalyst, do we have to know the name of the catalyst like the one involved in the dehydration of ethanol ?

Metal catalysts are used, but I doubt we need to know that.
Palladium and nickel, apparently* are the most commonly used.
Last years six markers : Titrations, Identifying Ions

Possible ones : Haber Process, Soaps, Making Salts, Ethanol production :smile:
Reply 15
What comes under making salts?
Original post by NishalT
What comes under making salts?

i think its the topic about making salts using an insoluble base and soluble base linking into titration
Reply 17
Yeah, that's it, hope that doesn't come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could there be a 6 marker like they did on some assessment material where you were given 2 countries (one poor with no crude oil, one rich with alot of crude oil) and you were asked to evaluate the things they should consider when considering ethanol production (whether they should use fermenting glucose with yeast or the hydration reaction of ethene with steam to ethanol)

Soaps wouldn't be a bad 6 marker for me, I assume they would want you to say stuff about the soap being made from an ester and alkali (possible the breakdown of fat into glycerol then carboxylic acid then the alkali and the acid reacting to from potassium/sodium salts (the soap)) Then how the soap anion actually works to remove stains.
making salts wouldn't be that bad, I just need to remember you do a titration first when you have the bad/acid soluble solutions.
Not sure if i would know what specifically they would want about the Haber Process, i assume they would ask about why they use the specific environment they do (200atm to shift equilibrium towards the production of Ammonia, 450 Degrees to speed up the reaction even though it shifts the equilibrium the wrong way as a compromise, and the iron catalyst is just to speed things up without moving the equilibrium position.

I am worried as i am before every exam, i did 5 hours of revision yesturday and 6 and a half today and am planning to do 3 before the exam tommurrow, so hopefully i will be ready. I'm just worried about forgetting the equations and how moles work.

Also - do we need to know about trans fats (made by catalytic hydrogenation but have spare double bonds and how they are artificial and so can possibly cause things such as heart disease?)
(edited 9 years ago)
In the haber process, when the rate of the forward reaction is increased by lowering the temperature or increasing pressure for instance, surely the reaction comes out of equilibrium, does anyone understand beyond what is written in the textbook?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending