The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by manchesterunited15
You need to be more clear m8

He said their champions league ends in 2014 so they can finish higher the qualifiers are in august :~|
Original post by baconbutty
He said their champions league ends in 2014 so they can finish higher the qualifiers are in august :~|

You quoted all of Zurich's post so I thought you were replying to the first bit and saying you'd be out before the groups as you'd be knocked out in the 2 qualifiers.

whatever just a miscommunication
Cole left at the same time as Vieira and Pires, not Henry

wikipedia says he left in between, but Henry was a goner after the CL final, it just took an extra year.
Original post by Bound 2
wikipedia says he left in between, but Henry was a goner after the CL final, it just took an extra year.

Oh yeah, same time as Pires but a year after Vieira and a year before Henry
What are the odds of Arsenal getting 2nd in their CL group again?

Bet it's something like 1-4 odds.
Original post by Bound 2

:rofl:

He just looked at what he could have won and knew that the grass was greener.

Henry is a snake :rofl: if Chelsea went in for him after his Barca days he wouldn't have hesitated, Wenger would have not got him because of RVP.
Original post by jam278
What are the odds of Arsenal getting 2nd in their CL group again?

Bet it's something like 1-4 odds.

They're only in it for the money the CL brings them tbf, otherwise they more or less just make up the numbers nowadays.

I think Liverpool have a better chance of winning the PL than Arsenal do of winning the CL. Although both are quite unlikely when you think about it.
Original post by Isometrix
They're only in it for the money the CL brings them tbf, otherwise they more or less just make up the numbers nowadays.

I think Liverpool have a better chance of winning the PL than Arsenal do of winning the CL. Although both are quite unlikely when you think about it.

You get £50m+ for winning the CL, so if that were true, wouldnt we be desperate to win it? 2006-2012 no doubt the CL revenues were important, I've actually seen the RBS prospectus on the Emirates loans and it was naturally made very clear on that how very important that revenue source was. We're not in that position anymore though.

But I always have to cringe at the fan of a sugar-daddy club mocking a club that worries about paying it's own way. And end of the day, if Arsenal do ever win the CL it will be off our own back, and people will respect that x100 compared with what Roman bought you, simple as that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
You get £50m+ for winning the CL, so if that were true, wouldnt we be desperate to win it? 2006-2012 no doubt the CL revenues were important, I've actually seen the RBS prospectus on the Emirates loans and it was naturally made very clear on that how very important that revenue source was. We're not in that position anymore though.

But I always have to cringe at the fan of a sugar-daddy club mocking a club that worries about paying it's own way. And end of the day, if Arsenal do ever win the CL it will be off our own back, and people will respect that x100 compared with what Roman bought you, simple as that.

people wont respect it more. you are so funny though keep it up.

and no we wouldn't be desperate to win it because the money it costs to build a team that can win it offsets the prize money
Original post by baconbutty
people wont respect it more. you are so funny though keep it up.

and no we wouldn't be desperate to win it because the money it costs to build a team that can win it offsets the prize money

You're telling me people dont respect the achievements of teams like BVB/AM over teams like PSG/Chelsea/City? People respect the players/managers who achieve at those clubs, but the clubs themselves are inevitably tainted as plastic.

Seriously, why on earth are you continuing to pretend to be an Arsenal fan? Plenty of people WUM on here, no need for the pretence, it's just bizarre.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich

Well, just to get one thing out the way, you won't.

But no, a trophy is a trophy and in 5, 10, 15, 50, 100 years, no-one will care where the funding came from. It's about winning, and winning alone. No-one will ever remember Arsenal's last decade, a decade of being also rans, and people will remember Chelsea's trophies.
Reply 8411
Original post by Bound 2
Well, just to get one thing out the way, you won't.

But no, a trophy is a trophy and in 5, 10, 15, 50, 100 years, no-one will care where the funding came from. It's about winning, and winning alone. No-one will ever remember Arsenal's last decade, a decade of being also rans, and people will remember Chelsea's trophies.

People always keep saying this. So, lets but look at the WC for example. People talk more about the dutch total football team and Zico's Brazil of the 80s than any of the German team that won the WC and everyone wants to forget about the 94 Brazil team.
Reply 8412
Original post by Endless Blue
Yep, just this. Arsenal have been the laughing stock of the league for the last five years at least. Utd knocked them off their perch this season fortunately for them.

Seems like baconbutty tells it like it is (in most cases).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wonder what that makes Liverpool.
Original post by 419

Not as funny as Arsenal, that's what :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419

Spot on.

When did Liverpool fans get it into their heads that they're in any position to have a go at Arsenal? Talk about ****houses in glass houses. :rolleyes: Their last 8 years has been an absolute shambles, achieving nothing either short term or long term. Not that Liverpool achieved anything in my lifetime before that, one year aside.
Original post by Peggles_*
No, you're not.

He clearly is an Arsenal fan.

Just because he's not deluded and fickle doesn't mean he's not one of you lot.
Original post by Zürich

I wonder what your attitude towards Arsenal would be if they were taken over by a sugar daddy? (genuine question, not taking the piss :tongue:)
I wonder what your attitude towards Arsenal would be if they were taken over by a sugar daddy? (genuine question, not taking the piss :tongue:)

We have an Uzbek who own 30% of our shares desperate to gain control, and he's richer than RA. But almost everyone I know is against it, I would say that about 20% of our fan base would welcome it. If it did happen people would just have to accept it probably since fan power is so pitiful in England but it would taint the club big time.

I honestly think that if an owner came in and spent £500m and we won the CL, that it would feel cheap. Like using cheats on Football manager or something. And if other fans wanted to taunt our achievements as plastic, what could I say? they'd be right.

End of the day, a club like Chelsea with very little long term tradition or character will tolerate Roman in and out of the dressing room, collecting the trophy, running the club for his own enjoyment but at clubs like Arsenal(and Liverpool/Utd) it's something people wont accept. End of the day, the alternative for CFC was another 100 years of midtable obscurity, so they sold what little soul they had. Arsenal fans love to moralise, but we genuinely are above that ****.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8418

The day before I start supporting the club in hiatus.

Thank god this nightmare won't happen.
Original post by Zürich
We have an Uzbek who own 30% of our shares desperate to gain control, and he's richer than RA. But almost everyone I know is against it, I would say that about 20% of our fan base would welcome it. If it did happen people would just have to accept it probably since fan power is so pitiful in England but it would taint the club big time.

I honestly think that if an owner came in and spent £500m and we won the CL, that it would feel cheap. Like using cheats on Football manager or something. And if other fans wanted to taunt our achievements as plastic, what could I say? they'd be right.

End of the day, a club like Chelsea with very little long term tradition or character will tolerate Roman in and out of the dressing room, collecting the trophy, running the club for his own enjoyment but at clubs like Arsenal(and Liverpool/Utd) it's something people wont accept. End of the day, the alternative for CFC was another 100 years of midtable obscurity, so they sold what little soul they had. Arsenal fans love to moralise, but we genuinely are above that ****.

How come Usmanov can't gain control, are the others refusing to sell up?

I agree, it wouldn't be the same winning trophies when you've had hundreds of millions handed to you.

Latest