The Student Room Group

Really poor circulation

I have really poor circulation in my legs. Ever since I can remember they've always been blotchy and often even purpley coloured.

Due to revision and school taking over I've been sat a lot more over the past few years in class and studying at home and sitting exams.

It seems to have made it much worse. I have a lot of cellulite in my legs and their circulation is awful. I also seem to have developed some spider veins in the backs of my thighs.

I'm slightly overweight but only by about 5 pounds, and I'm working on losing that.

What can I do to stop this? Even when I'm not sat down my legs are still blotchy - I can massage them and they return to their correct colour for like 5 minutes and then the blotchiness returns.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Oh and I'm 18. And I have varicose veins in my feet too.
Reply 2
Mix cardio and body weight training everyday for minimum of 40 minutes total.

- Cardio: Skipping (Jump rope) for 10 minutes with multiple 1 min breaks pushes blood circulation to the extremities of the body, over a period of time, your circulation will improve and body will build a better system for ciculation - but must be done for life - and its part of a life style. Remember, being breathless is important, as this uses up your full lung capacity, which not only keeps you younger, but improves you in more ways than you can imagine.

- Body weight exercises: Key ones are to do lots of squats in rep form and sets. So do 12 squats, wait 30-60 seconds then do another 12 squats and built that up to 30 squats per set x 3 sets. Then pressups and abdominal exercises will hit the major areas of the body - doing this pushes blood in unusual ways, allowing it to improve circulation over time.

Hope this helps.
Reply 3
Original post by source
Mix cardio and body weight training everyday for minimum of 40 minutes total.

- Cardio: Skipping (Jump rope) for 10 minutes with multiple 1 min breaks pushes blood circulation to the extremities of the body, over a period of time, your circulation will improve and body will build a better system for ciculation - but must be done for life - and its part of a life style. Remember, being breathless is important, as this uses up your full lung capacity, which not only keeps you younger, but improves you in more ways than you can imagine.

- Body weight exercises: Key ones are to do lots of squats in rep form and sets. So do 12 squats, wait 30-60 seconds then do another 12 squats and built that up to 30 squats per set x 3 sets. Then pressups and abdominal exercises will hit the major areas of the body - doing this pushes blood in unusual ways, allowing it to improve circulation over time.

Hope this helps.

Ooh thanks that's great. So if I do that it will improve my circulation and everything?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Ooh thanks that's great. So if I do that it will improve my circulation and everything?

Yes of course - massages definitely help too, but the best form is exercise and just make sure you make it a lifestyle rather than just temporary.

Oh and stop eating iodized salt - this is what causes more cellulite and poor circulation. Look into at least getting kosher salt, or sea salt - but ideally bamboo salt - this does not affect blood pressure the same way either and helps the body because molecular structure is very small, allowing it to penetrate to a cellular level, which then detoxifies cells and allows the body to regulate water better.
Reply 5
Original post by source
Yes of course - massages definitely help too, but the best form is exercise and just make sure you make it a lifestyle rather than just temporary.

Oh and stop eating iodized salt - this is what causes more cellulite and poor circulation. Look into at least getting kosher salt, or sea salt - but ideally bamboo salt - this does not affect blood pressure the same way either and helps the body because molecular structure is very small, allowing it to penetrate to a cellular level, which then detoxifies cells and allows the body to regulate water better.

That's really great info thanks! :smile:
I have really poor circulation in my legs. Ever since I can remember they've always been blotchy and often even purpley coloured.

Due to revision and school taking over I've been sat a lot more over the past few years in class and studying at home and sitting exams.

It seems to have made it much worse. I have a lot of cellulite in my legs and their circulation is awful. I also seem to have developed some spider veins in the backs of my thighs.

I'm slightly overweight but only by about 5 pounds, and I'm working on losing that.

What can I do to stop this? Even when I'm not sat down my legs are still blotchy - I can massage them and they return to their correct colour for like 5 minutes and then the blotchiness returns.

Any help would be appreciated :smile:

I know exactly how you feel. I have only just noticed that my varicose veins are growing- I am only 18, too. Mine a hereditary- my whole mum's side had them. I can't really offer your preventative advice, as I'm pretty much looking for the same- I hope to just assure you, you aren't on your own. And well, I guess I am going to have to love them because having them removed at this time, isn't really an option.

I completely empathize with you. :smile::smile:
Reply 7
I know exactly how you feel. I have only just noticed that my varicose veins are growing- I am only 18, too. Mine a hereditary- my whole mum's side had them. I can't really offer your preventative advice, as I'm pretty much looking for the same- I hope to just assure you, you aren't on your own. And well, I guess I am going to have to love them because having them removed at this time, isn't really an option.

I completely empathize with you. :smile::smile:

Aw thanks! That really helped. My mum has them too and so do many others in the family so maybe mine are also inherited.

I'm slowly learning to love them. It's the only solution right now :smile:
I'm in exactly the same boat - it's quite reassuring to know that other young people are having to deal with these problems. I'm 21 and I've got horrible bulgy veins on my left thigh/knee and both legs are quite cellulite-y and my calves/ankles are quite swollen. I've started to try not crossing my legs, elevating them when I can (like when I'm lying on the sofa). I also take horse chestnut extract tablets (from holland and barretts) which are meant to help with varicose veins/circulation. Also, body shop peppermint and horse chestnut revitalising leg gel is amazing after I get home from work/just before bed - it makes my legs feel less tired/achey.

On the exercise front, I'm trying to do more but I find it really hard to get the motivation. Now that it's summer I'm dreading wearing shorts and I'm trying to do more leg exercises :smile: on the BMI scale I am just over 25 so technically 'overweight' so I suppose I could do with losing a few pounds as well.

Sometimes my veins ache after I've been stood up or sat down for a while and I'm considering going to my GP about it, because there's no harm in trying to get some treatment! I know the chances are slim though...
this is maybe not even relevant but I have poor circulation too and i get really numb and cold hands, feet and legs. Sometimes they go blue or red and swollen. I went to the doctor about it and they said I have Raynaud's disease, which isnt anything particularly threatening, just inconvenient and uncomfortable, really :c

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest