The Student Room Group

6,500 words in 3 days! Is it possible...?

I have to hand in a 16,500-word dissertation by 4.00 pm on Monday. I have done all the research and most of the reading and have written a good 10,000 words in the last month or so. But I am now exhausted and those last 6,500 seem impossible to manage in the next few days.

I have to return to my full-time work tomorrow and Thursday which leaves me with just 3 days and a few hours to basically write the entire 6,500 words, and I am in full fledged panic...

Has anyone done this? Do you think it is possible? And do you have any words of advice?

Thanks!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did 3000 words in a 3 hour exam so I'm guessing its more than possible (I didn't type that fast or stay for all of the 3 hours)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
It is possible but just plan accordingly.
Reply 3
Thanks for the encouragement. Wow... 3,000 words in 3 hours, that's impressive. I could not do that if I were writing a diary entry. I am the slowest writer, I can usually do about 1,000 good words on a good day, and now I have to do double that.

I decided to skip work today (Thursday). I'm calling in sick so I can add another day to the writing. It's not going to make me very popular at work, but I'm desperate here. Will try to make it up to them in future weeks.

I have to write 3 more chapters and a conclusion, so the plan is to write a chapter a day (app. 1,600 words each) for four days between Thursday and Sunday and then submit it on Monday. I guess I'm about to find out what I can do.

Watch this space!
It is possible. Tiring, but possible. I did a similar thing when I wrote mine. It probably would have been best to ask for the days off. If you explained to your boss that you had to write your dissertation, I'm sure they would have understood. Working full time at the end of your last semester is usually going to be a bad idea.
I wrote my 12,000 word dissertation in 6 days due to circumstances and managed to get 62 or 63. Go for it. Write and write and leave the morning/afternoon before the deadline for read through and finalising... then hand in 30 mins before the deadline. Sleep 6 hours for the 2 nights, eat lots for energy, take some caffeine when you start to tire in the afternoon/evening and work 2x7 hour stints with a couple of hours in the middle and night downtime/keep sane. You'll be satisfied when you are sleeping for 12 hours in 3 days having handed it in.
Reply 6
Original post by Yellow 03
I have to hand in a 16,500-word dissertation by 4.00 pm on Monday. I have done all the research and most of the reading and have written a good 10,000 words in the last month or so. But I am now exhausted and those last 6,500 seem impossible to manage in the next few days.

I have to return to my full-time work tomorrow and Thursday which leaves me with just 3 days and a few hours to basically write the entire 6,500 words, and I am in full fledged panic...

Has anyone done this? Do you think it is possible? And do you have any words of advice?

Thanks!!

Completely possible, yes! :smile:

I'd easily manage that many words in about 3/4 hours, I think... (Basing this off 2000 word essays in an hour or so).
But then again, I'm quick at typing :wink:
Of course it's possible the question is whether they're good words. Keep a regular and sane sleep schedule and eat properly.
Reply 8
Thanks everyone, it's really reassuring to hear people who have been through something similar.

Dude who wrote a 12.000-word dissertation in 6 days, you're my inspiration!! Thank you!!

So I missed work today and added one day to the dissertation writing, and I will now have to average about 1600 words a day. I am determined to make this happen.

100 words written so far this morning, 1500 to go until the end of the day...
Reply 9
That's a shockingly slow pace tbh. Stop procrastinating and get on with it!!!

I've done 3000 words in an evening before without much stress. Just sit down and write it. You should aim to complete about maybe 3-4000 of the words today! Forget 1500...
Get rid of any distractions, including TSR, sit down and crack on.
Original post by alibee
That's a shockingly slow pace tbh. Stop procrastinating and get on with it!!!

I've done 3000 words in an evening before without much stress. Just sit down and write it. You should aim to complete about maybe 3-4000 of the words today! Forget 1500...

Its not a slow pace if you actually want it to be good...
Reply 12
Original post by redferry
Its not a slow pace if you actually want it to be good...

I've always scored well on my work. Annoyingly I seem to find that my last minute work does better than my well planned and thought out stuff.
Original post by alibee
I've always scored well on my work. Annoyingly I seem to find that my last minute work does better than my well planned and thought out stuff.

Agh I hate it when that happens. I've always found spending time on it pays off 90% of the time. I averaged 75% in my Uni written work.
Definitely, good luck :biggrin: I did 7,000 in an evening, though it killed me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is there a particular reason you've left it this late to finish it?
This is bringing me back horrible flashbacks. It should come with some kind of trigger warning.
Original post by alibee

Me and you both.
Reply 18
OK, 1,200 words out of the way so far. I'm having one hour break now to get something to eat, and then I will work on the rest 400 words which is my target for the day. I'm not going to bed tonight until I have written 1,600 words.

I know this is slow pace for a lot of people here, but I'm a slow writer and annoyingly I have to revisit some of the reading as I go along. I'm also aiming for a decent grade! (famous last words...)
Reply 19
Original post by baconwrappedeggs
Is there a particular reason you've left it this late to finish it?

I hadn't realised I left it too late, lol.

It's a big project, 16,500 words, and that's dense content, I can't waffle for pages on end. I did all the research in advance and allowed about a month to write it, but it clearly needed much more than that.

I blame working full time alongside studying. Did not count the 'spaced out' factor at the end of a working day. Never again!:s-smilie:
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest