The Student Room Group

English Language Investigation A2

I am currently trying to come up with some ideas for my language investigation project. I enjoy studying foreign languages, but I can't really think of any specific part within the broad topic.

One idea I had (which links into languages - although not foreign languages) is comparing British English to American English.

But I need to come up with anything solid. So I am hoping to get advice on topics to write about and also if possible how to achieve an A or B grade as I need to bring up my final grade (as I think I may only get a D in AS english).

Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Something that may be of use to you, that would be of good support to Language Change over Time, would be to look at two texts, one foreign, and one English, and compare the origins of the different word classes.

I.e lots of concrete nouns came from the Nordics, back when everyone was staking their claim on England. French may be good, as that was the official language of England for a while back in something like the 15th century.
These would have had an influence on the language we use today, and you could compare how the modern European languages stemmed from the old languages such as Latin, Greek, and the surrounding islands.

You could extend it to show how when people were able to travel much more (so maybe old texts and new texts) how words from many more languages came in as people were travelling around the world.

That's just my idea of what I'd do now I have finished the course :L
My investigation was into the language choices of female leads in video games and other media. It was alright, but I like the idea I just came up with a lot more :L

Good Luck, it is a long and arduous task that my class hated, a lot!
Do you know what your requirements are? For example AQA A does not allow you to do your investigation on written pieces of work, you have to do Spoken Language? On the other hand WJEC allows you to do written or spoken language investigation.

If you want to do Foreign Language, why don't you look at a pidgin or creole? I know that a person in my class hand an Asian friend and she invested her Hinglish (Hindu and English). So perhaps you could do that?

I can only tell you on Spoken Language.
Thank you for both of your replies. I haven't been on here for a while now, so have only just noticed, sorry.

I am on AQA A.

Thank you again.
Original post by FadingAway
Thank you for both of your replies. I haven't been on here for a while now, so have only just noticed, sorry.

I am on AQA A.

Thank you again.

OK.

So you only get to do your investigation and intervention on Spoken Language.

I know my school had very TIGHT specifics because of the moderator. Our moderator hated coursework that investigated American English, Slang, and really specific things such as how footballers used to speak before they became footballers. He found the latter interesting, whilst the others annoying so non of us could do those plus many other ones.

I am unsure whether all centres are like this and I'm not sure whether you have started the exam side to gender, sexuality, social and regional dialect, etc? If so, perhaps find some research you like, maybe the history of Language Change?

You could always go onto the AQA site and see the coursework requirements too.

Quick Reply