The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

Now I don't mean "speak" if you can just say "Hello" or "Bye". Are you fluent in several languages? If so, which?

Scroll to see replies

Regarding fluency, it depends what your standards are in my opinion. But, for example, if you measure fluency by one's ability to immerself him/herself in the country and maintain a conversation with a native speaker with ease, then I'd say I'm fluent in 5: English, Bengali, Spanish, French and Japanese.

On the other hand, if you measure fluency by there being little to no difference between myself and a native Japanese within the language spoken for instance, then I am, by no means, fluent.

Sorry for that spiel but it depends how you measure being fluent.

tldr; I don't think I'm fluent and I wouldn't consider myself as so, but others might.
(edited 9 years ago)
English, French, and Greek.
Reply 3
Well, I think that you're fluent in a language if you can use it not only for travelling, but also for daily work and if you can, for example, read a newspaper every day or be able to comunicate in a forum that uses such language.

I can do that in either Portuguese, Spanish or English.

I'd like to learn French and use it fluently in the near future.
none
Reply 5
Fluent in - English, Persian and Farsi - haha sort of the same.
Understand - Urdu/Hindi, English, Persian and Farsi
Can read- Arabic, English, Farsi, Persian, French - haha English/French is a bit easy to read.. :biggrin:
Learnt & can speak a bit of ; French, Arabic, Turkish.

French* got an A* fast track GCSE on it so i remember a bit..
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm fluent in English, nearly fluent in German and I can have a decent conversation in French.
Fluent - English
Kinda fluent - none
Almost fluent - none
Basic sentences - none

Four years of French education #preach

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinaa
Fluent in - English, Persian and Farsi - haha sort of the same.
Understand - Urdu/Hindi, English, Persian and Farsi
Can read- Arabic, English, Farsi, Persian, French - haha English/French is a bit easy to read.. :biggrin:
Learnt & can speak a bit of ; French, Arabic, Turkish.

French* got an A* fast track GCSE on it so i remember a bit..

You can read French thanks to your A* in GCSE? :lol: I'd like to show you some French texts then! :tongue:

Also, when you say being able to read Arabic, do you mean read and understand or simply read it and be able to pronounce the letters/words but not have a thorough understanding of it?
(edited 9 years ago)
I am fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese (can speak them as well as native speakers).
Fluent in French, English and practically fluent in German (although making more mistakes lately) with an understanding of Russian, Italian and Spanish.
Reply 11
Original post by Quick-use
You can read French thanks to your A* in GCSE? :lol: I'd like to show you some French texts then! :tongue:

Bonjour,

Lmao, even if i didn't learn french, i would've been able to read it! But it has been a while..
Original post by Dinaa
Bonjour,

Lmao, even if i didn't learn french, i would've been able to read it! But it has been a while..

:lol:

I edited my reply to you by the way - you have another reply to write! :awesome:
Reply 14
Original post by Elisabetev
I am fluent in English, Spanish and Portuguese (can speak them as well as native speakers).

Are you a Spanish/Portuguese national?
bearly even fluent in english ennit
3 fluently as my parents originate from two different countries. Plus school French and Spanish
English
Bengali
Urdu
Hindi
Spanish

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a Portuguese national, and I have been learning Spanish for 7 years and am currently living in Spain.
I can understand Attic Greek (Ancient Greek dialect) and translate Attic Greek (English to Greek and Greek to English) though my pronunciation needs work but there is no rush as no one has spoken the language widely for centuries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending