The Student Room Group

anyone still got accepted to uni without a MATHS GCSE?

i'm currently in college studying my courses and will be applying to uni at the end of this year, ive failed my maths retake, i got a D. however i past english and science and most of my other gcses.
i'm considering to do something like nursing or early years in uni.

Apparently i will not get accepted to uni without a C in maths gcse :confused: i'm really starting to worry, has anyone been accepted without a maths gcse?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ek04
i'm currently in college studying my courses and will be applying to uni at the end of this year, ive failed my maths retake, i got a D. however i past english and science and most of my other gcses.

Apparently i will not get accepted to uni without a C in maths gcse :confused: i'm really starting to worry, has anyone been accepted without a maths gcse?

Whilst undoubtedly people have, in the mists of time, it is not going to happen nowadays and most particularly not it the courses you have mentioned. I'm afraid you will need to stick at it, unless the universities will accept a functional skills alternative, which I fear they won't.
I got an E at GCSE but the I do have City & Guilds level 2 numracy and a BTEC first diploma that included a maths unit.
Reply 3
It entirely depends on your university, and their entry requirements. I am a mature student, and received several conditional offers for good universities, and I do not have a Maths GCSE. However, I want to study a completely different subject to yours. I would suggest contacting the admissions team for all the universities that interest you, and check with them whether they require a Maths GCSE at C or above, or not. Maybe you can re-take it again if they definitely require this. Good luck!
Reply 4
I know someone who lied on her application and said she had passed when she hadn't, she's now in her third year at a russell group uni.
Like what has already been said it is very unlikely and the best thing to do would be to re-take your maths again.

An alternative would be to contact the unis and ask if they would consider you without a maths GCSE or if an alternative functional skills would be acceptable.

All in all it is best to have another shot at a maths GCSE and that is what I would advise.
Reply 6
I've been accepted with a D. I did an online test and got functional skills level 2 instead. Easy peasy. Contact your uni, explain etc.
I'm concerned that if you can't pass a maths GCSE that you'll fail any numeracy tests they give for nursing. I'm not 100% sure, but if it's such a struggle for you to pass a GCSE.... I really don't think you'll get accepted to a nursing course without a pass.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
I'm concerned that if you can't pass a maths GCSE that you'll fail any numeracy tests they give for nursing. I'm not 100% sure, but if it's such a struggle for you to pass a GCSE.... I really don't think you'll get accepted to a nursing course without a pass.

I hear that kings test is all done with a calculator now. Check the website
Original post by New- Emperor
I hear that kings test is all done with a calculator now. Check the website

So that's one uni out of how many? I never applied to nursing so I don't know nor care how many use calculators versus just a pen and paper, but you'd still have to know how to do the methods which OP probably doesn't if they're not passing GCSE. A calculator won't help you if you don't know how to calculate a percentage.
Original post by ek04

I'm going to a Russell group university with a D in maths :smile:
Original post by ek04

I haven't got a C at GCSE Maths and I hope to get into my 1st choose uni to study English and Classics...

However, I'm pretty sure it's a standard requirement that if you want to get into a uni to study adult nursing, you have to get your GCSE at grade C in maths. However, you should contact the unis that you are/going to be interested in and see if they accept any alternative qualifications.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe
So that's one uni out of how many? I never applied to nursing so I don't know nor care how many use calculators versus just a pen and paper, but you'd still have to know how to do the methods which OP probably doesn't if they're not passing GCSE. A calculator won't help you if you don't know how to calculate a percentage.

This is very true but it still makes it a littel easer
I'm afraid that you really are going to have to get the C. Unlike most other subjects, if you get your maths wrong you're liable to kill someone by messing up a drug dosage etc. Universities know this, and add that to the fact that nursing is a competitive course, and you'll find that they won't take you without a C.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think anyone in history has achieved more than being a homeless meth addict without getting at least a B in the GCSE non-calculator paper.

Sorry OP. :rolleyes:
Original post by ek04

A friend of mine got into Exeter with a D
Can you please give some more information about how and where you did this online test to get your Level 2?
Reply 17
Where was this functional test online? Can you send it me
Reply 18
Where did you do the functional skill online
Original post by alapa
I've been accepted with a D. I did an online test and got functional skills level 2 instead. Easy peasy. Contact your uni, explain etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending