The Student Room Group

Need help with shoulder broadening

So ive recently started going big on exercise since uni is over and I have lots of time. Been running 3 times a week, cycling if I want to get out.. my diets changed and ive been juicing too (no supps however).

Ive notices a great difference in muscle mass and definition and my weight is declining nicely.. the only problem is with my shoulders. I use to be a gaming addict and had real bad posture/shoulders. My posture is alot better now since doig core and back exercises but my shoulders are still really narrow and seem really out of place against my chest and arms.. I would love any kind of shoulder advice or work out moves/regimes that are designed for shoulder broading..

Thanks for reading and helping :smile: - Chris

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
juicing?
Reply 2
Original post by AMG44
juicing?

As in juicing vegetables and fruit to drink during the day
Shoulders are quite a small muscle group so don't overdo the weight because you'll end up with bad form and increase the likelihood of injury.

I would recommend starting with 'Dumbbell Shoulder Press', 3 sets with 12-16 reps per set and a minute between each set. Finish it off with a drop set and go until failure.

Next go onto a 'Side Lateral Raise' with 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Once again rest for a minute between each set and finish off with a drop set until failure.

Finish the exercise off with 'Reverse Machine Flyes' with 5 sets of 10-12 reps. 30 seconds between each set.

If you're planning on having a shoulder day then it would be wise to work out shoulders with traps.
You are probably just weak and slim/skinny all over. Follow any beginner routine for 0.5-1.5years. Eat reasonably well. Shoulders will grow in proportion. It doesn't make sense to only target them

Sent from my HTC One
Reply 6
Original post by iron_lloyd
As in juicing vegetables and fruit to drink during the day

cell tech
Juicing is the key to broadening the shoulders.
Reply 8
Original post by J.D_Wilson
Shoulders are quite a small muscle group so don't overdo the weight because you'll end up with bad form and increase the likelihood of injury.

I would recommend starting with 'Dumbbell Shoulder Press', 3 sets with 12-16 reps per set and a minute between each set. Finish it off with a drop set and go until failure.

Next go onto a 'Side Lateral Raise' with 3 sets of 10-12 reps. Once again rest for a minute between each set and finish off with a drop set until failure.

Finish the exercise off with 'Reverse Machine Flyes' with 5 sets of 10-12 reps. 30 seconds between each set.

If you're planning on having a shoulder day then it would be wise to work out shoulders with traps.

This is what I was after.. thanks so much man.. hopefully I can fit it in somewhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Swimming seems to make a difference
Even female swimmers have broad shoulders- try butterfly stroke too

12-16 is cardio tbh. Sets of 5-8/12 depending on how big your jump up to the next set of DBs would be more beneficial.

Drop sets after big volume low weight movements like DB lateral raises have no place tbh, they feel cool but in reality a drop set achieves very little. That said there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them.
Original post by Angry cucumber
12-16 is cardio tbh. Sets of 5-8/12 depending on how big your jump up to the next set of DBs would be more beneficial.

Drop sets after big volume low weight movements like DB lateral raises have no place tbh, they feel cool but in reality a drop set achieves very little. That said there's nothing intrinsically wrong with them.

Pretty sure there is no real proof that different amount of reps have any difference. I've been told that so many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mubariz
Pretty sure there is no real proof that different amount of reps have any difference. I've been told that so many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

+12 ish has no real use for anything - we could have a big debate about 3-8 and 5ish -12 for progression and. Progression at large rep ranges is very hard and adaptation i.e. muscle growth is not "optimal". There's a reason most good beginner routines have reps between 3 to 5 or 8 with isolations 8-12. We could debate the use of lower rep ranges vs 8-12 all day long though.
Reply 13

I'd chuck a bit of military press in there as well, and maybe a few sets of 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' shoulder press, to really tire out the shoulders.
+12 ish has no real use for anything - we could have a big debate about 3-8 and 5ish -12 for progression and. Progression at large rep ranges is very hard and adaptation i.e. muscle growth is not "optimal". There's a reason most good beginner routines have reps between 3 to 5 or 8 with isolations 8-12. We could debate the use of lower rep ranges vs 8-12 all day long though.

I would disagree with your because lows reps are generally used for strength training whereas higher reps target the fast-twitch muscle fibers to build mass. It might be a good ideal to switch between the two so your body doesn't adapt too quickly. Isolation exercises are sometimes good to end with but compound exercises are much better overall. Don't want to start too much of an argument, just my opinion.
I would disagree with your because lows reps are generally used for strength training whereas higher reps target the fast-twitch muscle fibers to build mass. It might be a good ideal to switch between the two so your body doesn't adapt too quickly. Isolation exercises are sometimes good to end with but compound exercises are much better overall. Don't want to start too much of an argument, just my opinion.

Lifting anything heavy quickly promotes muscle fibre recruitment, muscle fibre type recruitment as far as I know is not under somatic control. The heavier you lift, the more fibres you recruit. Hence the range for any exercise for building muscle is between 3-12.

There's preliminary data to show that 7x3 promotes the same amount of muscle growth as 3x10 which makes sense as a powerlifter with a decent bench will have a decent chest and triceps.

I agree that compounds should be the basis of your routine, but those massive rep sizes is not needed especially as a noob where you should be lifting heavy and often. Hence SS, SL and ICF all do 5 reps for compounds.
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
Juicing is the key to broadening the shoulders.

you sound like a real expert of Muscle Physiology. can you confirm that you were conceived by the mixing of ronnie coleman and jay cutlers juices
(edited 9 years ago)
Lifting anything heavy quickly promotes muscle fibre recruitment, muscle fibre type recruitment as far as I know is not under somatic control. The heavier you lift, the more fibres you recruit. Hence the range for any exercise for building muscle is between 3-12.

There's preliminary data to show that 7x3 promotes the same amount of muscle growth as 3x10 which makes sense as a powerlifter with a decent bench will have a decent chest and triceps.

I agree that compounds should be the basis of your routine, but those massive rep sizes is not needed especially as a noob where you should be lifting heavy and often. Hence SS, SL and ICF all do 5 reps for compounds.

Building muscle is about tearing down muscle fibers and have them grow back stronger and bigger. It stands to reason that whenever you're pushing your body past its comfort point then overtime its going to adapt itself to this new weight. For that reason I can see why you'd say "the range for any exercise for building muscle is between 3-12".

One thing that works for you might not work for someone else, majority of my workouts have between 10-12 reps. This works well for me and I've seen a ton of articles that state higher reps are for mass and lower reps are for strength. Powerlifters do have a strong chest and triceps but they aren't exactly shredded, you might get the occasional one but normally they're bulking and fat.

Can't believe I haven't mentioned protein, ensure you get sufficient protein in your diet (very important) because without it your body won't have the resources to repair your muscles to the best of its ability. It would be like trying to complete a jigsaw puzzle without all the pieces, you can get some of the way but not completely finish the process.
Reply 18

But wait wut??

http://www.flexonline.com/training/truth-about-lifting-heavy

intredasting.
Reply 19
Soo should I aim for lower or higher reps? Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest